Why are there no TVs or Monitors that have a curved edge?

We have known phones for so long having curved edges, like the Galaxy s7 being one of the first, years ago. That is an OLED display, so I assume that this doesn't exclude TVs... right? Or maybe even monitors? I was searching all over YouTube, on the LTT channel (this can be a really great topic for them to do a video on!), and even on the forum with little or no talk about this. I really don't understand why that this cannot be a technology feature. It would make TVs and monitors much more immersive and good looking to view. And if anything, TVs and monitors haven't had any real upgrades in years in terms of how they have looked, ever since flat screen TVs and thinner monitors. Perhaps now more recently, monitors viewing angles are curved, but they always still have bezels. By curving the display's edges, there would be no need for bezels as the screen itself would be the bezel.

Also, how far could we curve the edge? For Samsung phones, it only seems to get at like a 45 degree angle. Why can't we curve it all the way to 180 degrees? And for monitors and TVs?

I might be totally wrong on my interpretation here. Please let me know about what is going on in the display market, why curved edge displays and TVs aren't a thing yet, and why the current curvature of phone displays' edges only goes to 45 degrees. Also, is it only on OLED displays? Or can other displays be used as well, if not more efficiently?

1 minute ago, ThunderBlast747 said:

I really don't understand why that this cannot be a technology feature. 

this is NOT A TECH FEATURE

no one wants it.

the curve design was there since samsung s3 for better grip with small hand. do you need to hold your TV?

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is NOT A TECH FEATURE

no one wants it.

the curve design was there since samsung s3 for better grip with small hand. do you need to hold your TV?

how do you know that no one wants it? Do you have any proof? And the S3 did not have a curved display...

Also I am not referring to curveness for a "grip" as I mentioned in the whole description, I am stating that this would make the display look more pleasing to the eye, and for more of a fancier, exquisite appearance.

19 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the curve design was there since samsung s3 for better grip with small hand.

I don't think that was the reason why companies (specifically Samsung) put curved edges on their phones. I think they were just doing it to be "cool." Nobody I know prefers the curved edge over not having it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't think that was there reason why companies (specifically Samsung) put curved edges on their phones. I think they were just doing it to be "cool." Nobody I know prefers the curved edge over not having it. 

Well what if I'm saying that DO I want it on TVs and Monitors? Is that possible? I want someone to explain the technical details behind that.

Just now, ThunderBlast747 said:

Well what if I'm saying that DO I want it on TVs and Monitors? Is that possible? I want someone to explain the technical details behind that.

Yes, physically it's possible. It's just not desirable so companies don't make them. The concept of curved edges was impractical enough on phones, putting them on a large display is even less practical. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, physically it's possible. It's just not desirable so companies don't make them. The concept of curved edges was impractical enough on phones, putting them on a large display is even less practical. 

Wait, really? So that's just it? It's actually possible? So not even enthusiasts want to buy a 180 degree-curved edge (on all sides), bezel less 4K gaming 144 Hz 27" gaming monitor? That's technically possible?

Why? What purpose would this curved edge have? You can't view it when starting head on to the display, so what's it's purpose?

It would just add distortion to the edge of the image, just like it does on phones.

The main reason they don't have this feature I imagine is cost.

You can have more of a curve, but again, it's not really necessary. The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha is an example of that.

It's also a great example of the added costs associated with making something like that. It's $2,800.

IIRC only AMOLED screens can be used like that.

1 minute ago, ThunderBlast747 said:

Wait, really? So that's just it? It's actually possible? So not even enthusiasts want to buy a 180 degree-curved edge (on all sides), bezel less 4K gaming 144 Hz 27" gaming monitor? That's technically possible?

Uh, what? Why would you want screen on the back of your monitor where you can't see it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Why would you want screen on the back of your monitor where you can't see it?

I think maybe he meant you could have the curve facing in rather than out. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hmmm. I see. That'd be a massive screen.

He had me totally confused comparing it to phones. And his no bezel comments.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well it would just partially curve for just the arc portion, I'm not talking about a full on rear display like the Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha lol

28 minutes ago, ThunderBlast747 said:

ah yes, lets hide half the monitor out of site. seems like an amazing idea

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ah yes, lets hide half the monitor out of site. seems like an amazing idea

I was trying to clarify to say that the display doesn't have an entire display behind it, I was saying 180 degrees of the curvature of the edges, but yes, it would still cut off like an inch of the actual display, distorting it all around it, cropping it... hmmm....

perhaps i didn't really think about this but its still cool to think about, I would think programs would have to adapt to having the edges being cut off, like putting more subtle elements instead of the actual view of the game, for instance...

What even for phones it sucks and has zero use. Harder to hold, tends to reflect and distort the content. Literally makes me not buy a phone with it. Not a fan of curved displays even. You want curves edge display monitos, what kind of a monster are you?!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |