Advice on If my is CPU good enough for new GPU and what Monitor to get?

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It makes a difference in terms of visuals and make the games "pop" out more. Especially AAA titles. 

Competetivly there is no edge. But i highly enourage getting a IPS or VA panel with good brightness.

Thank you for the advice It's greatly appreciated  

in the tomb of esports ....we mortals must pay the bill...They fill the markets with technical terms and technologies that require a lot of money many times without helping us...the non-esport gamers. Buy a Monitor that you like, a gpu that can handle its resolution. playing in 240hz will require you a vast amount of money without an actual profit vs a 144hz one. If you require 240 frames to be displayed that means the gpu should sent almost 280-300 consinstenly. this cannot been achieved playing in 1440p games without lowering the details of the game. i had been using a 60hz monitor, now i have asus pg258q 240 gsync comb,fressync monitor and yes i see a bit better...but thats all! you are not playing in slow motion, in fact in fact while playing LoL...i havent even noticed yet what consists the jungles textures! You play for the gameplay even if you see 240 frames movements....you can react in less than a second gain only.

9 hours ago, ckinfos said:

in the tomb of esports ....we mortals must pay the bill...They fill the markets with technical terms and technologies that require a lot of money many times without helping us...the non-esport gamers. Buy a Monitor that you like, a gpu that can handle its resolution. playing in 240hz will require you a vast amount of money without an actual profit vs a 144hz one. If you require 240 frames to be displayed that means the gpu should sent almost 280-300 consinstenly. this cannot been achieved playing in 1440p games without lowering the details of the game. i had been using a 60hz monitor, now i have asus pg258q 240 gsync comb,fressync monitor and yes i see a bit better...but thats all! you are not playing in slow motion, in fact in fact while playing LoL...i havent even noticed yet what consists the jungles textures! You play for the gameplay even if you see 240 frames movements....you can react in less than a second gain only.

I was actually set on getting the pg258q but then my friend said to just get 1440p or just a 144hz 1080p. What would you recommend then with you having the monitor I was looking at?

I am going to chime in and say 144Hz is more then enough for most gamers.

Only if you intend to be a pro esports gamer should you get anything higher than 144hz.

Otherwise, 144hz is fine.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:52 AM, Anthony_Borraccio said:

I was actually set on getting the pg258q but then my friend said to just get 1440p or just a 144hz 1080p. What would you recommend then with you having the monitor I was looking at?

it is a good monitor. expensive for rpgs, mmoprg, world of tanks and gsync combatible so you can save some 100 euros/dollars from that. If you are buying something that will last for the future yes prefer it. if you change from time to time then it will be a waste of money (not for the quality). Better get a 144mhz with less money. You wont notice a big difference. I cant have the luxury to install and play a bit with fortnite to tell you the details but even with a 2070 super , 2080 i think it will reach the 244 frames only when lowering...alot the detail.( idont have the card to say). i think companies took out 244mhz more to test it in market than for users to completely use it.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:09 AM, ckinfos said:

it is a good monitor. expensive for rpgs, mmoprg, world of tanks and gsync combatible so you can save some 100 euros/dollars from that. If you are buying something that will last for the future yes prefer it. if you change from time to time then it will be a waste of money (not for the quality). Better get a 144mhz with less money. You wont notice a big difference. I cant have the luxury to install and play a bit with fortnite to tell you the details but even with a 2070 super , 2080 i think it will reach the 244 frames only when lowering...alot the detail.( idont have the card to say). i think companies took out 244mhz more to test it in market than for users to completely use it.

ya makes sense but I am not sure on if I should get 1080p 144hz or 1440p 144hz cause id like to always take advantage of that higher hz in all games maxed out but I am not sure if my CPU and a RTX 2080ti will be enough to do that. 

On 10/11/2019 at 2:16 AM, MadmanRB said:

I am going to chime in and say 144Hz is more then enough for most gamers.

Only if you intend to be a pro esports gamer should you get anything higher than 144hz.

Otherwise, 144hz is fine.

ya makes sense but I am not sure on if I should get 1080p 144hz or 1440p 144hz cause id like to always take advantage of that higher hz in all games maxed out but I am not sure if my CPU and a RTX 2080ti will be enough to do that. 

Your setup probably can take 1440P but I would actually more pair your processor with a RTX 2070 super at max.

As you will be dealing with possible CPU bottlenecks best not go crazy.

The 2080TI might leave your processor in the dust.

I say go for a 2070 super this way you can have spare change just in case your system needs a new processor/motherboard/memory.

the 2080Ti is pretty expensive after all and it does seem silly to pair it with a 5820k

I mean the 5820k is still a good processor and all but there is always potential for bottlenecks

In my mind you'd be crazy not to go 1440p 144hz if you're getting a 2080ti. 

You could honestly save a few hundo and grab a 2080 Super for only a tiny performance drop, and still comfortably pull 144 fps at 1440p in competitive titles. 

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

In my mind you'd be crazy not to go 1440p 144hz if you're getting a 2080ti. 

You could honestly save a few hundo and grab a 2080 Super for only a tiny performance drop, and still comfortably pull 144 fps at 1440p in competitive titles. 

do you think the rtx 2080 ti would just get bottlenecked even if i overclocked my CPU making the 2080 super a better choice?

3 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Your setup probably can take 1440P but I would actually more pair your processor with a RTX 2070 super at max.

As you will be dealing with possible CPU bottlenecks best not go crazy.

The 2080TI might leave your processor in the dust.

I say go for a 2070 super this way you can have spare change just in case your system needs a new processor/motherboard/memory.

the 2080Ti is pretty expensive after all and it does seem silly to pair it with a 5820k

I mean the 5820k is still a good processor and all but there is always potential for bottlenecks

so ur saying the rtx 2080 ti would just get bottlenecked even if i overclocked my CPU making the 2080 super or something a better choice? cause upgrading my CPU doesn't seem that worth it rn cause its still pretty good.

3 hours ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

There is a monitor in youtube what linus tested i think it was an lg one or a chinesse brand. Check his youtube videos on what was cheap and good as it stated. I think it will cover you if you cant spent >400$ for the asus. There are other too offcourse check some reviews , make some notices and then choose with the pros and cons in mind.

27 minutes ago, ckinfos said:

There is a monitor in youtube what linus tested i think it was an lg one or a chinesse brand. Check his youtube videos on what was cheap and good as it stated. I think it will cover you if you cant spent >400$ for the asus. There are other too offcourse check some reviews , make some notices and then choose with the pros and cons in mind.

the one that says its 1ms ips but not really LG monitor? and would u reccommened i just go for the 1440p 144hz over 1080p?

5 hours ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

do you think the rtx 2080 ti would just get bottlenecked even if i overclocked my CPU making the 2080 super a better choice?

It's likely to bottleneck MOST CPUs on the market. The question is by what margin. (They say less than a 9% bottleneck is considerably no bottleneck.)

Are you geared out to overclock? Perhaps a 2080 Super and a good CPU cooler with those savings.

Either way, an RX 5700XT and RTX 2070 Super are effectively 1440p gaming cards. If 90% of your gaming is eSports, you're almost guaranteed to hit 144 FPS with either of those options (PUBG is a little more taxing to be fair.) The 2080 Super will put you in that realm of HIGH END gaming should a hot new title come out that you want to play, and be more than enough to fill your refresh rate for eSports titles. 

For the price of a 2080ti with a decent cooler, you could grab a great 2080 Super model (heh), a Dark Rock Pro 4 (pretty much the best air cooler on the market), and a solid 1440p 144hz 1ms Freesync monitor...

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $709.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer XZ271U bmijpphzx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $299.99 @ Walmart
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1128.97
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1098.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 09:12 EDT-0400  

20 hours ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

the one that says its 1ms ips but not really LG monitor? and would u reccommened i just go for the 1440p 144hz over 1080p?

although it is more personal decission. yes i would say stay at that 144mhz 1080p. Market prices will be fixed in the future and you will get then the higher res.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, trevb0t said:

It's likely to bottleneck MOST CPUs on the market. The question is by what margin. (They say less than a 9% bottleneck is considerably no bottleneck.)

Are you geared out to overclock? Perhaps a 2080 Super and a good CPU cooler with those savings.

Either way, an RX 5700XT and RTX 2070 Super are effectively 1440p gaming cards. If 90% of your gaming is eSports, you're almost guaranteed to hit 144 FPS with either of those options (PUBG is a little more taxing to be fair.) The 2080 Super will put you in that realm of HIGH END gaming should a hot new title come out that you want to play, and be more than enough to fill your refresh rate for eSports titles. 

For the price of a 2080ti with a decent cooler, you could grab a great 2080 Super model (heh), a Dark Rock Pro 4 (pretty much the best air cooler on the market), and a solid 1440p 144hz 1ms Freesync monitor...

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $709.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer XZ271U bmijpphzx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $299.99 @ Walmart
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1128.97
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1098.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-14 09:12 EDT-0400  

I do play a lot of competitive or multiplayer games but I do also play story games and any game really. And I have a pretty good AIO liquid cooler x62 kraken seems to keep it pretty cool so idk how well it can be overclocked cause I’ve never overclocked anything. So idk what card is really worth it saving money could be nice with something below a rtx 2080ti but I do want to be able to stay above the higher refresh rate of the monitor which is why I’m stuck on either 1080p or 1440p that will last me a long while without having to upgrade the monitor or GPU

17 hours ago, ckinfos said:

although it is more personal decission. yes i would say stay at that 144mhz 1080p. Market prices will be fixed in the future and you will get then the higher res.

There are some pretty good deals for 144hz 1440p for not that much more money but ya the 1080p 144hz will definitely be cheaper. 

39 minutes ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

I do play a lot of competitive or multiplayer games but I do also play story games and any game really. And I have a pretty good AIO liquid cooler x62 kraken seems to keep it pretty cool so idk how well it can be overclocked cause I’ve never overclocked anything. So idk what card is really worth it saving money could be nice with something below a rtx 2080ti but I do want to be able to stay above the higher refresh rate of the monitor which is why I’m stuck on either 1080p or 1440p that will last me a long while without having to upgrade the monitor or GPU

Yeah, like I was saying, 1440p gives you the best of both worlds. You can still achieve the high framerates on those competitive titles, and achieve a larger screen and clearer picture when aiming for 60ish FPS on the beautiful AAA (ULTRA SETTINGS) titles. 

1080p is literally a bottleneck for the 2080/super/ti. If you want ULTRA 1080p 144hz, grab a 2060-2070Super or an RX 5700/XT.

240mhz refresh rate 1080p is not a variable to even bother looking at. Even if you wanted it, that does nothing to improve your AAA story gaming experience beyond what a cheap office desktop monitor can give you. (Besides maybe better colors..)

AAA Gaming: Higher res, 60 FPS, great size/color = best experience.

eSports Gaming: Higher refresh rate, FPS to match, res/color don't necessarily matter = best experience.

27" 1440p (2K), 144hz (some hit 165hz), 1ms, variable framerate = best of both worlds.

44 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Yeah, like I was saying, 1440p gives you the best of both worlds. You can still achieve the high framerates on those competitive titles, and achieve a larger screen and clearer picture when aiming for 60ish FPS on the beautiful AAA (ULTRA SETTINGS) titles. 

1080p is literally a bottleneck for the 2080/super/ti. If you want ULTRA 1080p 144hz, grab a 2060-2070Super or an RX 5700/XT.

240mhz refresh rate 1080p is not a variable to even bother looking at. Even if you wanted it, that does nothing to improve your AAA story gaming experience beyond what a cheap office desktop monitor can give you. (Besides maybe better colors..)

AAA Gaming: Higher res, 60 FPS, great size/color = best experience.

eSports Gaming: Higher refresh rate, FPS to match, res/color don't necessarily matter = best experience.

27" 1440p (2K), 144hz (some hit 165hz), 1ms, variable framerate = best of both worlds.

So would overclocking my CPU be worth it for with whatever GPU that can get the highest FPS possible for 1440p. And from the benchmarks for my cpu and even a rtx 2080ti the FPS doesn’t seem to be over 144fps in most games I’d play

19 minutes ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

So would overclocking my CPU be worth it for with whatever GPU that can get the highest FPS possible for 1440p. And from the benchmarks for my cpu and even a rtx 2080ti the FPS doesn’t seem to be over 144fps in most games I’d play

What games?

13 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

What games?

It show almost all games aren’t above 144fps especially the ones I been playing a lot rn like BFV and future games like Cod modern warfare when that comes out and borderlands 3 when I get that. It could be a stock cpu with no overclock so idk if that would change much and it’s maxed graphics which is like to be around that  

25 minutes ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

It show almost all games aren’t above 144fps especially the ones I been playing a lot rn like BFV and future games like Cod modern warfare when that comes out and borderlands 3 when I get that. It could be a stock cpu with no overclock so idk if that would change much and it’s maxed graphics which is like to be around that  

The 144hz is for the eSports (Rocket League, CSGo, LoL, Fortnite, Overwatch, etc.) That is where the 144fps is beneficial to gameplay.

For AAA games (the ones you want the higher definition for) anything around or over 60 FPS is a great zone to be in. 144fps isn't making Tomb Raider or Hitman play or look any better.

Battlefield and COD are a middle ground, since they are AAA competitive shooters. If the 144fps means more to you than sex appeal in those two games, then drop the settings a little. 

Variable framerate (freesync/gsync) means that if you're not putting out 144FPS, the monitor is expecting exactly the number of frames it's getting, so no possibility of screen tearing/etc.

22 hours ago, trevb0t said:

The 144hz is for the eSports (Rocket League, CSGo, LoL, Fortnite, Overwatch, etc.) That is where the 144fps is beneficial to gameplay.

For AAA games (the ones you want the higher definition for) anything around or over 60 FPS is a great zone to be in. 144fps isn't making Tomb Raider or Hitman play or look any better.

Battlefield and COD are a middle ground, since they are AAA competitive shooters. If the 144fps means more to you than sex appeal in those two games, then drop the settings a little. 

Variable framerate (freesync/gsync) means that if you're not putting out 144FPS, the monitor is expecting exactly the number of frames it's getting, so no possibility of screen tearing/etc.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/468411/dell-s2417dg-238-wqhd-165hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-gaming-led-monitor

https://www.microcenter.com/product/460912/dell-s2716dgr-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-gaming-led-monitor

What do you think of these they seem to be the best deal for 1440p that somehow comes with Gsync for the price. One is 24 inches which is 100$ cheaper then the 27 inch. And maybe a RTX 2080 Super paired with it. 

15 minutes ago, Anthony_Borraccio said:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/468411/dell-s2417dg-238-wqhd-165hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-gaming-led-monitor

https://www.microcenter.com/product/460912/dell-s2716dgr-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-gaming-led-monitor

What do you think of these they seem to be the best deal for 1440p that somehow comes with Gsync for the price. One is 24 inches which is 100$ cheaper then the 27 inch. And maybe a RTX 2080 Super paired with it. 

Budget monitors are tough. The reviews tend to be very good, because the people buying them have likely never used like a high end model to compare the experience to. 

But that said, the Dell models tend to have great reviews for the low cost. 

I would personally grab 27" since it's one of the features that is unique to 2k and up. 

I've heard talk that for the best colors, you look at ROG or Asus, but have no personal experience to draw on.

50 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Budget monitors are tough. The reviews tend to be very good, because the people buying them have likely never used like a high end model to compare the experience to. 

But that said, the Dell models tend to have great reviews for the low cost. 

I would personally grab 27" since it's one of the features that is unique to 2k and up. 

I've heard talk that for the best colors, you look at ROG or Asus, but have no personal experience to draw on.

Well the colors probably aren’t the best cause it’s just a TN. Is it worth getting a none g sync 1440p 144hz TN asus For the same price or even an extra 100-200$ for the IPS versions? And idk if those would really Count as budget they just went down in price over the years and anything else with g sync is newer and more expensive.