Need help picking laptop for College (CS Degree)

dryogo

Hi everyone!

Anyways, I'm in college now (yey), althought my main rig at home is a beast (3700X and 5700XT), I need a laptop with a maximum budget of 1000€. It's going to be used mainly for college work and a bunch of programming, like... a shit ton. I don't really intend on gaming in it. Other than the occasional League of Legends match in the school library.

The main features I want to look out for:
- Really clean design.
- 8gb of RAM, no less.
- IPS display, and really clean, minimal bezels display, I dig those a lot. 3 by 2 ratio if possible.
- Preferably a 10th gen Intel CPU.
- Lightweight, I don't really care about screen size much tho. 13.3'' is fine, or something around that.
- I just want an SSD, the amount of space it offers I don't care much because I have a lot of free OneDrive storage because of my college.

I mainly have my eyes on the entry level Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 and the Huawei Matebook. These are the best deals I've found for these here in Europe with a usable keyboard layout.

I'm a really big Microsoft fan, surface fan in general. But the Huawei Matebook is looking pretty good. Is it real that Windows just runs better/faster in Surface products? What do you guys use and what do you recommend.

Thank you for all the help in advance!

P.S: Dell XPS models ain't an option really hard to find them here. Oh and a friend told me to @'t this guy because he knows a lot about laptops. @GeneXiS_X

6 hours ago, dryogo said:

Lightweight

Max weight in kg?

Preferably a 10th gen Intel CPU

FYI Comet Lake is basically the same with Kaby Lake Refresh

1000€

Where are you from? No preference on battery life?

Surfaces and Huawei laptops have poor QC+QA, moreover Surface products are anti-consumer in general

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Max weight in kg?

FYI Comet Lake is basically the same with Kaby Lake Refresh

Where are you from? No preference on battery life?

Surfaces and Huawei laptops have poor QC+QA, moreover Surface products are anti-consumer in general

Max weight, probably 1.2kg
Portugal, but don't mind buying from European Amazons. Battery life is key as well yeah, forgot to mention, I would say probably 10-14hours.

What do you mean by QC+QA? The Matebook X Pro from last year got really good reviews I think.

Just letting you know, although I'm a hard desktop enthusiast, I'm looking for a clean, simple, thin and light laptop, with a GREAT screen. That's why these, although not the best bang for buck, are my options.

Btw this is probably not the right place to ask this, but a friend of mine advised me to get insurance for accidental damage such as spills and such, and then technically near the end of it, abuse it to get a new laptop to sell and then upgrade for a better version, is this... an option?

Thank you so much for the help!

I'm writing this from a first-gen Huawei Matebook and after using it for 2 years or so it's a pretty solid laptop overall although I'm still running into driver issues. This could have been fixed in the next versions but I think you shouldn't meet such issues on a Microsoft device. I'm personally a Surface fan but can't afford a decent one and I don't want to spend $150 on a keyboard.

8 hours ago, dryogo said:

Portugal

Any links of online stores? (besides official websites)

10-14hours

A bit unrealistic tbh, fine with at least 8 hrs?

What do you mean by QC+QA?

quality control, quality assurance aka reliability

Btw this is probably not the right place to ask this, but a friend of mine advised me to get insurance for accidental damage such as spills and such, and then technically near the end of it, abuse it to get a new laptop to sell and then upgrade for a better version, is this... an option?

well that's up to you

Just letting you know, although I'm a hard desktop enthusiast, I'm looking for a clean, simple, thin and light laptop, with a GREAT screen. That's why these, although not the best bang for buck, are my options.

I would always prefer business grade laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128