Switch Lite – a PC Gamer's Perspective

So as for the no bluetooth support, the main reason it is not supported is because the controlers all use bluetooth to connect to the device unless they are physically attached. Now yes, this is the switch lite, and can't be connected to the tv but they decided to still support connecting those aditional controllers because some people will want that. However the issue is they are doing some non-standard stuff with their bluetooth that means the controllers can technically connect to a PC, but they are glitchy and laggy and not a very good experience. This also in turn means that the bluetooth is dedicated entirely to connecting controllers, and I would guess headphones just don't work quite right. Theoretically this might be something they can fix in the future but who knows. 

Someone at an old work place told me not to touch the Lite (less the fact it does indeed sound, look and ultimately is stupid, a psp 3000 has more class) because it has the drift issue and has been in fact put in the lawsuit against Nintendo buying one is a far worst purchase decision than buying a normal Switch for the $140 (CAD) more. I'm not sure when this video was done and info might not have been available when filmed but avoid the Lite unless you like issues.

https://gizmodo.com/nintendos-new-switch-lite-joins-joy-con-drift-lawsuit-1838597001

Also amazon is drunk right now...

image.png.f7325407887950f349faa0ca780d8798.png

Apparently each color comes with a second color too :P

My question is can it connect to other switches for multiplayer or as a controller? Like, say, could I use it almost like a Wii U Gamepad with another switch that was docked? I suppose it wouldn't have anything different on the touchscreen and the big screen because Switch games aren't developed like Wii U games, but it would still be kinda cool to walk in and use that as a smash controller with my friends. (Yes, I also read the comment about the controller issues and I'm probably not going to buy this device, but I still would love to know the answer.)

Anyone can hear this weird pitch at 10.000 Hz? Is only in the begining 0-1:12

601616581_weirdhighfrecuencypitch.png.124f80b3196262e056d3ac0a456833eb.png

Switch Lite looks like a great system at $200, but I have to disagree with Linus when he says the original Switch isn't good lying in bed. I play my original Switch lying in bed all the time and I find it comfortable. The need for a big carrying case for an OG Switch is on point though. So much less portable than my Vita-1000 that I bought a decent case for and can still stuff in my pants pocket in the case.

Not keeping the video output chip to reduce complexity? BS. That's like saying a motherboard manufacturer removed the Ethernet port in case it fails.

The lack of miniHDMI output or dock-ability on the Lite probably doesn't have as much to do with the hardware cost, nor "focusing on portability," but rather the financials between the Regular and the Lite. If the Switch Lite retailed and could output to a TV for $100 cheaper than the Regular Switch...what reason would anyone have to buy the regular version at $300? It would essentially be a phantom price cut to the regular switch down to $200, which Nintendo does not want to do as certainly the regular's hardware sales are more profitable than the Lite. I guess Nintendo could sell a Switch Lite dock for $100,

Feasibly they could have done it on the cheap by splicing in a second ribbon cable line coming off the LCD connector, running the raw data lines to a port on the back (with a flap protecting it during non use). Then you could plug a wall powered proprietary dock in which could convert the LCD signal into HDMI and give it more signal strength. You'd only get 720p from it and the screen would stay on even with the dock connected but it would be something and the parts for Nintendo wouldn't cost but maybe $3.50. Might even still be possible by the modding community to make this happen.

21 hours ago, caincha said:
Only clicked the video to unlike it - no, 'PC gamer's perspective' is not acceptable anymore ¬¬

What's wrong with being a PC gamer?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

What's wrong with being a PC gamer?

Nothing. Making a video about a product and using it as a blanket excuse just in case you f*ck it up? That IS a problem…

20 hours ago, caincha said:

Nothing. Making a video about a product and using it as a blanket excuse just in case you f*ck it up? That IS a problem…

In case he fucks up his opinion piece?

On 10/9/2019 at 3:56 PM, xnamkcor said:

In case he fucks up his opinion piece?

To put it simply: if you never raced on NASCAR you can't just show up and say 'this is my opinion about NASCAR as a Prius owner".

It is even worse if you make a video about it and make it like you know what you're talking about it (even if you don't) and say 'it's my opinion' as an excuse to your lack of knowledge on the subject.

If you still don't get it… your problem I'm done… 

12 minutes ago, caincha said:

To put it simply: if you never raced on NASCAR you can't just show up and say 'this is my opinion about NASCAR as a Prius owner".

It is even worse if you make a video about it and make it like you know what you're talking about it (even if you don't) and say 'it's my opinion' as an excuse to your lack of knowledge on the subject.

If you still don't get it… your problem I'm done… 

Are you saying Linus isn't a PC gamer?

• 5 months later...

Anyone know where I can buy that black protective shell from the video? Thanks! :-) 

• 2 years later...

Help what skins does Linus have on his switch lite?????????

On 10/14/2019 at 4:21 AM, xnamkcor said:

Are you saying Linus isn't a PC gamer?

No, you completely missed their point. What they're saying is that just as driving a Prius doesn't make you an expert on being a NASCAR driver, being a PC gamer doesn't make you an expert on what the experience of gaming on another type of gaming system should or shouldn't be like. Simply put, they are saying that comparing PC gaming and portable handheld gaming is like comparing apples to oranges. And I sort of have to agree on that point.

For example, having been a long-distance commercial truck driver (still have my Class A CDL), because lots of people who call themselves driving non-commercial vehicles (hint: most of you can't drive, no matter what you say) think an 18-wheeler can stop and turn just as well as they can. Trust me -- they can't. Side note here -- many people hang around these trucks in traffic and I'll give you a nickel's worth of free advice -- 600 feet away, or 6 feet under. The choice is yours. If you have to pass, get it over with -- Passing is perfectly legal -- riding abreast of another vehicle and camping in the passing lane are not.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

No, you completely missed their point. What they're saying is that just as driving a Prius doesn't make you an expert on being a NASCAR driver, being a PC gamer doesn't make you an expert on what the experience of gaming on another type of gaming system should or shouldn't be like. Simply put, they are saying that comparing PC gaming and portable handheld gaming is like comparing apples to oranges. And I sort of have to agree on that point.

For example, having been a long-distance commercial truck driver (still have my Class A CDL), because lots of people who call themselves driving non-commercial vehicles (hint: most of you can't drive, no matter what you say) think an 18-wheeler can stop and turn just as well as they can. Trust me -- they can't. Side note here -- many people hang around these trucks in traffic and I'll give you a nickel's worth of free advice -- 600 feet away, or 6 feet under. The choice is yours. If you have to pass, get it over with -- Passing is perfectly legal -- riding abreast of another vehicle and camping in the passing lane are not.

As a former soccer player, I think it's perfectly ok to have opinions about things you have no real expertise in.

25 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

As a former soccer player, I think it's perfectly ok to have opinions about things you have no real expertise in.

It depends. In the words of the great Inspector Harry Callahan (aka "Dirty Harry") -- "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one", and that's all well and good if you don't mind looking like a jackass at times to those who know better (usually more often than not). However, when someone's opinion leads to causing someone else serious problems that could have been prevented (such as unusable PC builds or someone being put in danger as a result of such opinion being taken as advice), that's a whole other ballgame, and it can be legally construed as liability.

For instance, I was once a member of a skoolie (school bus to RV conversion) website. These buses are still technically commercial vehicles and very dangerous if not handled properly, and a hidden caveat is that until they are retitled and reclassified as a motor home, they still technically require a CDL to drive. I was more or less labeled a troublemaker because I tried to be the voice of reason to those who were being given bad advice to simply hop in and drive their new purchase cross-country, without proper licensing or experience in how to drive it, or even insurance in some cases, when it technically still required a CDL.

The issue here lies in the penalties for getting caught driving a commercial vehicle without a commercial license starting at $5000 fines and 90 days in jail in some states, as well as the vehicle being towed for impound, which isn't cheap either. Pretty sure it can be double-dipped on federal and state law as well. And that's without the potential of a serious accident in which someone is hurt or killed. So, yes, there are situations in which it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. 🤣

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

It depends. In the words of the great Inspector Harry Callahan (aka "Dirty Harry") -- "Opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one", and that's all well and good if you don't mind looking like a jackass at times to those who know better (usually more often than not). However, when someone's opinion leads to causing someone else serious problems that could have been prevented (such as unusable PC builds or someone being put in danger as a result of such opinion being taken as advice), that's a whole other ballgame, and it can be legally construed as liability.

For instance, I was once a member of a skoolie (school bus to RV conversion) website. These buses are still technically commercial vehicles and very dangerous if not handled properly, and a hidden caveat is that until they are retitled and reclassified as a motor home, they still technically require a CDL to drive. I was more or less labeled a troublemaker because I tried to be the voice of reason to those who were being given bad advice to simply hop in and drive their new purchase cross-country, without proper licensing or experience in how to drive it, or even insurance in some cases, when it technically still required a CDL.

The issue here lies in the penalties for getting caught driving a commercial vehicle without a commercial license starting at $5000 fines and 90 days in jail in some states, as well as the vehicle being towed for impound, which isn't cheap either. Pretty sure it can be double-dipped on federal and state law as well. And that's without the potential of a serious accident in which someone is hurt or killed. So, yes, there are situations in which it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. 🤣

Forgive me. It's been a while since I watched the video. I believe he was giving his opinion about(*checks notes*). A Video game console.

Yes, so much danger.

12 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Forgive me. It's been a while since I watched the video. I believe he was giving his opinion about(*checks notes*). A Video game console.

Yes, so much danger.

No need to be a smart-ass. Of course, this is a situation where one's opinion is generally harmless. I was just pointing out that situations exist where it is not.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

22 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

most of you can't drive, no matter what you say

22 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

If you have to pass, get it over with -- Passing is perfectly legal -- riding abreast of another vehicle and camping in the passing lane are not.

Just duplicating words of wisdom, so more eyes can see lmao

Honestly, with the games I play most often (mario kart, lego games in coop, and party style games) it really holds no value. Not being able to hook it up to a screen for baic multiplayer breaks a huge portion of the enjoyment for most of the biggest selling games on switch.

Can you imagine trying to play 2 player mario kart or ring fit on that screen?

It makes so much more sense to let it hook up to a screen and limit the resolution instead. With the switch oled being the new "normal" switch for bigger fans, the lite should be the gateway into switch games instead of the stripped out single player version (read kids version)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

8 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Honestly, with the games I play most often (mario kart, lego games in coop, and party style games) it really holds no value. Not being able to hook it up to a screen for baic multiplayer breaks a huge portion of the enjoyment for most of the biggest selling games on switch.

Can you imagine trying to play 2 player mario kart or ring fit on that screen?

It makes so much more sense to let it hook up to a screen and limit the resolution instead. With the switch oled being the new "normal" switch for bigger fans, the lite should be the gateway into switch games instead of the stripped out single player version (read kids version)

That is the best part of the switch everyone uses it differently. 

I have the regular switch and my wife has the lite and honestly we play mostly hand held. I think we have used it docked maybe 5 times in 4 years.

There is a target audience for everything and everyone is goign to use it differently.