Would you pay for google, facebook etc. so they don't sell your info

If companies like google had paid plans to use their services and they won't sell your data in return will you go for it?

No. It depends on the specific services though, but generally, no.

11 minutes ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

If companies like google had paid plans to use their services and they won't sell your data in return will you go for it?

Many companies have paid plans but will sell you info anyway. You pay for Windows but "Advertiser ID" setting does not give me much trust.  Google actually have paid services like Google cloud storage but can you really trust a Ad company for not selling your data? I do not want to overact but maybe you should only store encrypted data in the cloud if you want to be safe because you can't tell who can be trusted really free or paid service alike. Have you ever read the service agreement of some popular services who most people will call trusted companies? It will make your suspicious so you rather don't want to.

TL;DR : probably not

7 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

No. It depends on the specific services though, but generally, no.

Like maybe like google and it was 100% legit no selling of your data or maybe to give you actual assurance maybe apple were to make a search engine that can rival google and was paid and they don't sell your data, they don't even glance it themselves

3 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

Google and Facebook should be paying me!

They are by offering you their service for free.

You can decide not to use it ?‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

If I use something that's free for years and they suddenly start charging for it you better believe I'm going to stop using it. I could give two shits about data collection.

A lot of people get all worried about this Data Collection stuff and honestly I could care less. I don't do shit, if anyone is collecting data on my online activity it's the most boring shit they have ever read. Who cares if you get ads related to your search history? To me personally it's just not something to worry about, if some company want's to see what I'm interested in, good for them. There's billions of us just one guy in rural Utah isn't going to be someone that they just fight heel and fist over to get their info on. 

There's a lot of worse things in this world than companies collecting data on what you do online.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

i'm just curious, what kind of personal data are you talking about? are they selling your crucial data like your password, back accounts, credit cards, ID number, ip address?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

No, because they don't care.

They do whatever they want with the data they have.

Yes there are laws and whatever but for the big guys out there basically nothing changed...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

Google and Facebook should be paying me!

There is a video the new york times just posted on YouTube agreeing to that notion. My take on this is that we all seem to forget that these services are been given to us for free and are not been used as loss leaders because companies like google and facebook aren't really hardware companies and don't put in that much to try and popularize their paid services. Whta I am saying is these services take time to work on, algorithms are been made, servers are put in place to be able to take these crazy loads of traffic and people have to be paid to do this so like it can be justified them selling your data but it can't be justified 100%. Them listening to you or diggin through your personal photos is a problem of ethics.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i'm just curious, what kind of personal data are you talking about? are they selling your crucial data like your password, back accounts, credit cards, ID number, ip address?

NO not that kind of stuff. Stuff like search history that is all

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There's a lot of worse things in this world than companies collecting data on what you do online.

i agree totally. i personally enjoyed those targeted ads, i can discover things that suits my interest.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

i agree totally. i personally enjoyed those targeted ads, i can discover things that suits my interest.

I tottally agree with what you have jiust said. All these people screaming oh I am been used to make money so I should be payed, if google, youtube etc. were to be payed only we all know people would stop using it. Example : cable is fuckin expensive compared to streaming like several times, and prices for streaming don't seem to be going up just the problem of more streaming services but yet people keep complaining and saying oh ah I wil just pirate stuff. Problem fixed. 

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I've never had a problem with the personalized ads. I personally don't have any risk of my banking or anything like that being collected. I don't access my bank accounts on my computer or any computer for that matter I only go to them in person and or use their secure app on my phone. The only data anyone could collect from my computer is what I like to buy, what games I play, and what I like to watch. The majority of people freaking out over this are typically older Gen X or Boomer computer users who get scared over everything they see on the news. " AH OOH my data is being sold to China and they listen to everything I say and do." I'm pretty sure China could give a rats ass about what Sandy the 86 year old grandmother of 3 from Columbus Ohio likes to buy from Amazon.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

The only security tool I recall ever using is a VPN and I only use that when I want to access a service that is not available in my country other than that I am a teen I don't even have any sensitive data or bank account passwords etc. for you to steal so HAHAHAHAHA

They don't know how much effort to get those service up and running, so they take it for granted. Nothing is free, even if you protect your privacy there always someone take benefit (like privacy company). So basically end users will always pay one way or another. And using VPN won't stop facebook / google mining your data. 

No.

Not selling, storing insecurely, or revealing my data is something I believe to be an unalienable right. If a company decides to do anything with my data, other than use it for the services I freely (or even pay) to use, then they should be punished very harshly by a governing body of peers who will determine on a case by case bases the correct course of action to take against an offending company, affiliates, and specifically involved employees. (pardon me, am abit drunk on cough syrup) 

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I've never had a problem with the personalized ads. I personally don't have any risk of my banking or anything like that being collected. I don't access my bank accounts on my computer or any computer for that matter I only go to them in person and or use their secure app on my phone. The only data anyone could collect from my computer is what I like to buy, what games I play, and what I like to watch. The majority of people freaking out over this are typically older Gen X or Boomer computer users who get scared over everything they see on the news. " AH OOH my data is being sold to China and they listen to everything I say and do." I'm pretty sure China could give a rats ass about what Sandy the 86 year old grandmother of 3 from Columbus Ohio likes to buy from Amazon.

It's not china, it's the highest bidder.  Currently, that's the companies' own advertising systems, which make them more money than selling the data would.  If someone was willing to pay google more money than adsense/words makes them (Billions of dollars) Google would hand the data over without a blink of an eye. 

This data has insane amounts of information about your life.  It has your purchases, your website visits, everything.  Let's say someone buys data from google and sets up a kind of "Background check" service.  This would allow anyone, e.g. potential employers, blackmailers, etc, to see what you do online, likely at a fee.  You should protect your own data with a vengeance.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

No.

Not selling, storing insecurely, or revealing my data is something I believe to be an unalienable right. If a company decides to do anything with my data, other than use it for the services I freely (or even pay) to use, then they should be punished very harshly by a governing body of peers who will determine on a case by case bases the correct course of action to take against an offending company, affiliates, and specifically involved employees. (pardon me, am abit drunk on cough syrup) 

I also see it as wrong when they go in too personal whether or not you pay

1 minute ago, FezBoy said:

It's not china, it's the highest bidder.  Currently, that's the companies' own advertising systems, which make them more money than selling the data would.  If someone was willing to pay google more money than adsense/words makes them (Billions of dollars) Google would hand the data over without a blink of an eye. 

This data has insane amounts of information about your life.  It has your purchases, your website visits, everything.  Let's say someone buys data from google and sets up a kind of "Background check" service.  This would allow anyone, e.g. potential employers, blackmailers, etc, to see what you do online, likely at a fee.  You should protect your own data with a vengeance.

What I think is ethically right for the companies to do is just use your search history (debatable if you say search history entirely or search history when using their service) not to sell to almost anyone but to tailor ads towards you that can be more specific for you and have paid plans for those who some people see as super paranoid.

Just now, DarkDragon2K04 said:

What I think is ethically right for the companies to do is just use your search history (debatable if you say search history entirely or search history when using their service) not to sell to almost anyone but to tailor ads towards you that can be more specific for you and have paid plans for those who some people see as super paranoid.

While them using it for their own services is "fine," I don't want them to have the data because of what could be done with it in the event of a breach or a sale.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|