How can I better cool my gaming laptop

Hi guys, I have an Asus GX502GW and the thermals quite honestly suck I am one of the few who have managed to get it to undervolt to -70mv and it thermal throttles playing R6 Siege at High settings. I already replaced the stock thermal paste but it didn't do anything. I was thinking about replacing the thermal pads on the VRMs and the chokes but I'm not sure if it would do much. I would also like to do liquid metal but I have never done it and I might fuck something up. My room constantly stays at 22C and its a small room with tons of airflow but still nothing. Any ideas as to what I could do?

9 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Hi guys, I have an Asus GX502GW and the thermals quite honestly suck I am one of the few who have managed to get it to undervolt to -70mv and it thermal throttles playing R6 Siege at High settings. I already replaced the stock thermal paste but it didn't do anything. I was thinking about replacing the thermal pads on the VRMs and the chokes but I'm not sure if it would do much. I would also like to do liquid metal but I have never done it and I might fuck something up. My room constantly stays at 22C and its a small room with tons of airflow but still nothing. Any ideas as to what I could do?

maybe have a look at getting a cooling pad for your laptop (basically plugs into the usb port and blows air directly onto the laptop from underneath) these can be quite inexpensive and could possibly fix your issue

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

maybe have a look at getting a cooling pad for your laptop (basically plugs into the usb port and blows air directly onto the laptop from underneath) these can be quite inexpensive and could possibly fix your issue

well I would but this laptop doesn't have fans underneath. well it does but there is a panel that lifts up and gives the fans fresh air from behind

1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

well I would but this laptop doesn't have fans underneath. well it does but there is a panel that lifts up and gives the fans fresh air from behind

is it like this?

image.png.065090882f66479d661d6d53b1238dd5.png

I can't help but notice you haven't listed your temperatures.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Good temps.  These units are meant to get really warm.  Doesn't mean you have to stop OCing ya know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

I can't help but notice you haven't listed your temperatures.

lol well I am hitting 95C constantly and when it throttles it stays at 86C

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Good temps.  These units are meant to get really warm.  Doesn't mean you have to stop OCing ya know.

I am hitting 95C when gaming

Just now, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yup same one

if the thermals are honestly terrible than going a cooling pad route and removing that back panel would help the computer as underneath that panel are 2 fans as seen below

image.png.14905274c962221db475618461e4e62b.png

Just now, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I am hitting 95C when gaming

Fuk it dude honestly.  The CPU is different then desktop CPU ...... its not gonna melt or anything hehhhehee.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

i believe you have cleaned your laptop inside....Just to mention that heat underneath the laptop it is a natural issue or propably made that way so it anticipates more heat to on the laying surface of the desk. The only thing you can do is avoid charging it together with using it. as that will cause even more heat through the battery loading. It is a small laptop....and 2070 rtx in it...you can expect heat up to 80C for sure. Companies sell...they dont care what they sell even if it is garbage and someone buys it! You ought to know that things get hot! and they get hotter if they are in small places squashed all together. Remove the under part as stated by another above and maybe have an util to change the fan speeds to full(if you can find one). Then pray. Dont forget to leave a notice to the asus forums and rate their laptop...as an oven!