How well can you passively learn a foreign language ?

dgsddfgdfhgs

I have been watching anime & drama from Japan for 10+yrs , i think I dont rely on subtitles anymore but i still struggle in games...

Approximately 0%. If I ever play something that isn't in English, I basically rely on previous information that I've learned from the English version of the game to navigate myself through.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Approximately 0%. If I ever play something that isn't in English, I basically rely on previous information that I've learned from the English version of the game to navigate myself through.

I find that jap & eng version of same game gives totally different experience , main reason is voice actors are too superior in jap lol

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I find that jap & eng version of same game gives totally different experience , main reason is voice actors are too superior in jap lol

I largely don't play games with a ton of voice acting to begin with, so that's not a barrier I have to progress. Funny enough, I had played Gran Turismo 3 in Japanese a few weeks ago and... it's as easy as playing the game in English.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

i mean i've learned a bit of japanese both from previous chinese knowledge but also TV shows and the like

my friend has a dance class where the teacher speaks mostly chinese, yet she understands most of it without learning

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Ehhh, I'm okay with some languages. My Spanish is abhorrent and always will be, my previous mastery of Portuguese will ensure it stays that way. There aren't that many other spoken tongues here in Florida, but I have learned an okay amount of chinese just by listening.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, -Kriss- said:

The majority of my english skills come from passivley learing the language.

you reminded me the days when I used to wake up at 7:30am to watch pokemon (the very first ones)before school & also the Simpsons helped alot

Does moving to another country, where you're surrounded by people speaking another language and you just end up learning it yourself as well on-the-fly count, or do you just mean picking something up from movies and TV-shows? If moving to another country and just learning the language on-the-fly without specifically setting out to study it counts, then it'd be 2 months for me, at which point many people couldn't anymore tell that I wasn't a local myself. If not...well, I dunno. Most content I watch or read is in English and I would rather describe myself as "proficient" at it by now.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

watch videos and shows, play video games. i think

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

It can definitely help to play games in a foreign language or watch TV/movies in foreign languages when some words can be associated with certain objects or some phrases' meaning can be deduced from the context.

I also know an Austrian child that picked up a German accent from Germany because it is constantly watching German TV. His parents were not particularly pleased about that. 

I've watched enough anime that I possess a toddler's level of fluency when it comes to Japanese. Eventually you begin to recognize certain words/phrases and can piece information together. Then you take the next step and watch a show without subtitles and try to figure the plot out. Then watch it with subs and see how close you got.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

6 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

I've watched enough anime that I possess a toddler's level of fluency when it comes to Japanese. Eventually you begin to recognize certain words/phrases and can piece information together. Then you take the next step and watch a show without subtitles and try to figure the plot out. Then watch it with subs and see how close you got.

but whe where the subtitles?

14 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

It's not that japanese VA are superior. They just take their job seriously.

Too often than not, the English voice actors are the same people in everything, the same ones who are clearly just reading off a script without any of the proper emotions or intonation that you'd normally have in an actual conversation. They are unable to bring "the characters alive". They are like robots most of the time.

I don't know if it's because there's more competition in Japan as far as voice actors go or if English voice actors just can't be bothered to give their 100% when working on foreign material... Because what I've noticed, is that in a cartoon made in the US, the English voices are perfectly fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's not that japanese VA are superior. They just take their job seriously.

Too often than not, the English voice actors are the same people in everything, the same ones who are clearly just reading off a script without any of the proper emotions or intonation that you'd normally have in an actual conversation. They are unable to bring "the characters alive". They are like robots most of the time.

I don't know if it's because there's more competition in Japan as far as voice actors go or if English voice actors just can't be bothered to give their 100% when working on foreign material... Because what I've noticed, is that in a cartoon made in the US, the English voices are perfectly fine.

Not to super derail this thread, but that has been my main complaint of dubbing for years. When a company that isn't Funimation gets their hands on something, you can really tell when someone is passionate about their work by the soul they bring to the dub (Hellsing being my favorite example of this).

And yes, being a VA in Japan is a highly competitive field versus in the US where the same 12 people voice everyone.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

12 hours ago, TacoSenpai said:

but whe where the subtitles?

you got to find them in usually in some anime lover forums, there are voluntary subtitle groups for the content

8 hours ago, comander said:

e.g. Code Geass where Lelouch is a Western prince and is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch. EXCELLENT VOICE ACTING. I do like the "sound" of the Japense actor I have to give credit to Bosch. 

not bad for a eng voice actor, but I would say the passion is still far behind from from jap prof, not hot blooded enough?  may be i watched too much

random clip from youtube:

I am Viet. English is not my first language. I took French 1 in high school, and i literary passed with a "C". I used Google Translator to do my assignments and tests. Now I have to take French 2 in college so fucked me bruddar because I can barely remember anything from French 1. 

English is already hard to a lot of people, and even native English speakers as well, and now they want me to learn another language?! Cmon, give me a dam break.

well i can say not very well i have lived in the us for around 7 years my english is still shit the only reason why it looks good in text is my good friend autocorrect. 

9 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

English is already hard to a lot of people, and even native English speakers as well, and now they want me to learn another language?! Cmon, give me a dam break.

the very 1st thing not to "hate" that culture/ language

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the very 1st thing not to "hate" that culture/ language

I am not hating it but it just added more weight onto my shoulders.............English is already hard enough for me.

19 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Does moving to another country, where you're surrounded by people speaking another language and you just end up learning it yourself as well on-the-fly count

That's the best way to learn a language, I'm told.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

crunchy has joined the battle 

and i can speak from experience its not the best at all 

For many people it just clicks. At least the 2 people I know that said they learned languages by bring around them. 

Going from personal expirience with my parents learning a forgein language its really just a matter of being stuck in an enviroment where your forced to learn the language. So in their case it was spanish to English. I dont think you could apply that with Japanese though xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

11 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

I am Viet. English is not my first language. I took French 1 in high school, and i literary passed with a "C". I used Google Translator to do my assignments and tests. Now I have to take French 2 in college so fucked me bruddar because I can barely remember anything from French 1. 

I mean we borrowed so many words from french you might find it easier. /s

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!