Screen tearing POP OS

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I installed POP OS like a month ago, so what ever the latest version out at that time. Not sure how to check the driver Version. I downloaded it directly from the AMD website if that helps at all. 

You don't normally want to download drives from amds website in linux.

What kernel version. Run uname -a

Try running a newer kernel, like 5.3

You could just update the kernel in POP OS. I had to when I upgraded the wireless nic in my laptop. Worked fine. 

4 hours ago, lloose said:

You could just update the kernel in POP OS. I had to when I upgraded the wireless nic in my laptop. Worked fine. 

Yeah. But seeing how I already went to Fedora and then to Ubuntu. Kinda too late for that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

LTS is good for servers and machines set up for a purpose that doesn't evolve much, but if you have modern hardware and for desktop usage with gaming etc that's not really what you want. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

LTS

LTS has support for 5 years. Thats why I choose it. I dont like having to reinstall every 6 months to every year. If I wanted that Id still use Windows. Plus gaming wise, the only games on my steam account that I would be able and want to play in Linux is Stardew valley, which I have on the Nintendo Switch as well and Starbound. These games take very little power. 

You don't need to reinstall, you run an update.

LTS has "support" for 5 years, but that is not what people often think it is. You're not going to get feature updates for 5 years on the same base distro, you're going to get security and bugfix updates on what at the end will be 5-year old software, of which you won't have seen the evolution as the purpose of the LTS is precisely an environment that doesn't change so as not to require potential changes on the (server) applications you run on it because of dependency evolutions.

So by using an LTS you're basically locking yourself at the state it was when it was released. In a year you'll want to install something and you won't be able to becasue it requires a newer version of a dependency that the LTS won't include. 2-3 years into the LTS you won't be able to update the software you're using to get its new features, and you won't be able to install most new tools that might come out.

With the non-LTS everything gets updated as it goes and thus it stays usable for desktop use.

If you were frustrated with Windows I'm afraid you're in for a ride.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You're not going to get feature updates for 5 years on the same base distro

Dont realy care about that. I use this machine mostly for surfing the internet and watching videos. 

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

ou're going to get security and bugfix updates on what at the end will be 5-year old software,

Which is what I want. 

Your actling lke I install a ton of shit on this machine and Im going to be doing a ton of gmaing and want the latest features. I just want something that works. If I decide I want to upgrade in the year or two then I will, but Im not forced to. Thats the point of LTS. Its not like Windows where Microsoft forces an unfished piece of shit update. Also LTS is the most stable build. Im kinda still learning Linux, so I rather be on the most stable build then one that is mostly stable. 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try running a newer kernel, like 5.3

Just wanted to say you were right about that. The thread I found on the Ubutnu fourm confirmed that. You had to update the kernal and a few other things to get things to work properly. But not only is my dual monitors working but seems the screen tearing is gone as well. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your actling lke I install a ton of shit on this machine and Im going to be doing a ton of gmaing and want the latest features

No, I'm just saying that even if you don't, becasue it's so stable you've already run into an issue with something you want to "just work" aka your recent graphics card :)

Good news about the kernel update.

F@H

GPD Win 2