Thermal paste on CPU die.

Hi All,

I have a question which has been nagging me for some time as I am very pedantic, OCD even about my PC, I would like to know you opinion on having to clean a CPU thoroughly from thermal paste. Some got on the CPU die as seen below (I can get better photos later) and I am wondering whether I have to clean them. I'ts not the IHS so it's not isolated and I'm afraid that it will cause problems later on. It was thermal paste included with a be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU cooler and I apparently applied too much paste. Support said that it's not electrically conductive and it's a "standard" thermal paste, but since they could not provide any other details I don't know whether to believe them even though most thermal pastes are silicon-based and should not be conductive or capacitive (hold or build a charge over time). I haven't had much time to test it but I got 4.8 GHz when gaming (I assume that 4.9 can be achieved only when benchmarking or never as the OS is also using the CPU in the background) and do not want to go through the process of returning just because my OCD kicked-in..

I understand that it can be a stupid question for some, but I have my quirks..

I did not get to test it thoroughly though, even whether it can hit 4,9 and I do not plan to overclock for some time.

image.png.a15a43d9f7d89c0bb93504c9e2a4a453.png

the blue bit? Clean them if you can. but you dont have to. The cooler only connects to the top of the IHS anyway

If you're talking about the black bit, that's the glue/adhesive sticking the IHS to the PCB.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

Some got on the CPU die as seen below

That's not the CPU die. That's the substrate. CPU die is entirely covered by the IHS.

Doesn't matter if there's thermal paste on the substrate or even on the die. There's already thermal paste on the CPU die for contact between the die itself and the IHS.

11 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

Support said that it's not thermally conductive and it's a "standard" thermal paste

Do you mean electrically conductive? Thermal paste is by design thermally conductive.

Even if it was electrically conductive it wouldn't matter since it's on the top of the CPU, not on the bottom where the pins make contact with the socket.

And as @Jurrunio pointed out what you circled in the photos appears to be the glue holding the IHS to the substrate.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

19 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

Support said that it's not thermally conductive

i certainly hope they didn't say that, otherwise they should not be making thermal paste, hell, or even cpu coolers for that matter

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

the blue bit? Clean them if you can. but you dont have to. The cooler only connects to the top of the IHS anyway

If you're talking about the black bit, that's the glue/adhesive sticking the IHS to the PCB.

52 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i certainly hope they didn't say that, otherwise they should not be making thermal paste, hell, or even cpu coolers for that matter

Yes, I meant electrically conductive, it was a typo. I will try to clean it if I can then. I mean the blue blobs, I know that the black one is the adhesive, but I've seen on delidding videos and it seemed that there was a gap at around that area where something might get in, but I may be overreacting.

57 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's not the CPU die. That's the substrate. CPU die is entirely covered by the IHS.

Doesn't matter if there's thermal paste on the substrate or even on the die. There's already thermal paste on the CPU die for contact between the die itself and the IHS.

Do you mean electrically conductive? Thermal paste is by design thermally conductive.

Even if it was electrically conductive it wouldn't matter since it's on the top of the CPU, not on the bottom where the pins make contact with the socket.

And as @Jurrunio pointed out what you circled in the photos appears to be the glue holding the IHS to the substrate.

In the 9600, 9700K and 9900K they used solder, so no thermal paste inside this time.

So to sum up, I can just leave it there? What about if the paste was electrically conductive? I don't mean Conductonaut but a paste like Arctic Silver 5 or similar?

Since when is arctic paste conductive?

clean it or leave it. There’s nothing there for the paste to mess up. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

@Sharpman85 try and use some q-tips to get it,but make sure no cotten is left on the cpu(I feel like i should not have to say this but some people out there)but anyways thats what i use and i never have any problems

I’ve added a better photo. As you can see there is some left on the IHS, but that can be easily removed, the parts that concern me are at the front and on the substrate.

Does anyone know what are the golden dots? Contacts of some sort? I assume that paste on them could cause some problems, right?

7F72C97D-668E-4618-AA51-F6F5325F73C4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

I’ve added a better photo. As you can see there is some left on the IHS, but that can be easily removed, the parts that concern me are at the front and on the substrate.

Does anyone know what are the golden dots? Contacts of some sort? I assume that paste on them could cause some problems, right?

-snip-

If you used standard non-conductive paste there's no problems. Hell you could dump a tablespoon of paste into the socket itself, the only issue would be it will act like an insulator, not letting the pins make contact. It wouldn't technically break anything though, if you could then clean out the socket afterwards without bending any pins it'd be fine. Could bathe your CPU in a bucket of the stuff, it legit can't hurt anything unless it just blocks a contact somewhere. 

Basically non-conductive paste can only "hurt" your rig by not letting something make contact where it needs to, it can't short-circuit anything. 

The only necessary contacts for your CPU are on the bottom, so long as that and the socket pins are clean, you're fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4c48lp2d6e301.jpg

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

If you used standard non-conductive paste there's no problems. Hell you could dump a tablespoon of paste into the socket itself, the only issue would be it will act like an insulator, not letting the pins make contact. It wouldn't technically break anything though, if you could then clean out the socket afterwards without bending any pins it'd be fine. Could bathe your CPU in a bucket of the stuff, it legit can't hurt anything unless it just blocks a contact somewhere. 

Basically non-conductive paste can only "hurt" your rig by not letting something make contact where it needs to, it can't short-circuit anything. 

The only necessary contacts for your CPU are on the bottom, so long as that and the socket pins are clean, you're fine. 

The problem is I do not know whether it’s conductive or not, it came with the be quiet! Dark Rock Slim cooler, had I used Arctic MX-4 I would not worry, but I have no way of finding out now as support could only tell me that the paste is safe as the one used on computer parts is nonconductive, but they did not know any details. 

More than enough detail. The spot it’s at isn’t gonna do anything. Been mentioned several times, no issue what so ever. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

More than enough detail. The spot it’s at isn’t gonna do anything. Been mentioned several times, no issue what so ever. 

Ok, I will try using a q-tip later to remove just for aesthetics sake.

BTW. When I was using Arctic Silver 5 I've read that it can be conductive due to metal compounds or something like that. Nothing like liquid metal, but still. I've used it on a bare laptop CPU and GPU die for 5+ years and nothing happened though.