Speakers - Stereo Vs. Surround 5.1/7.1

Oddvar Ashborn

Hello there folks,

let me start off by saying that no, i cannot use headsets cause they hurt my neck for some reason.

So that leaves me with... speakers.

I've been playing with 5.1 systems for like 15 years, but now that i have to buy new speakers, i thought "hey let me see what the internet has to say". What a bad idea that was.

Most of the people i've read say that 5.1 gives you advantage only when in a headset, and that there's virtually no difference between stereo and surround speakers (in a gaming context).

Now, i've pretty much always been able to track the correct source/direction of a sound in-game with a 5.1, and since stereo speakers would definetly give me an overall better quality sound, i'm considering it, even though i'm afraid i might loose the ability to track sound's sources/directions.

Any advice?

Thanks guys

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

9 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Hello there folks,

let me start off by saying that no, i cannot use headsets cause they hurt my neck for some reason.

So that leaves me with... speakers.

I've been playing with 5.1 systems for like 15 years, but now that i have to buy new speakers, i thought "hey let me see what the internet has to say". What a bad idea that was.

Most of the people i've read say that 5.1 gives you advantage only when in a headset, and that there's virtually no difference between stereo and surround speakers (in a gaming context).

Now, i've pretty much always been able to track the correct source/direction of a sound in-game with a 5.1, and since stereo speakers would definetly give me an overall better quality sound, i'm considering it, even though i'm afraid i might loose the ability to track sound's sources/directions.

Any advice?

Thanks guys

If you have a decently large budget, i would go for 5.1 IF you can place the speaker's properly, if not a decent set of passive 2.0 speakers/powered monitor's would be best.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

In my dorm I had my Klipsch 4.1 speakers setup around me to play CS 1.6 and would constantly get called a cheater because I had directional sound.  If it's implemented in game correctly and setup correctly with the speakers then I can't see why people would say 5.1 would only work in a headset.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

If you have a decently large budget, i would go for 5.1 IF you can place the speaker's properly, if not a decent set of passive 2.0 speakers/powered monitor's would be best.

Can't put the rear speakers behind me... still viable in your opinion?

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

In my dorm I had my Klipsch 4.1 speakers setup around me to play CS 1.6 and would constantly get called a cheater because I had directional sound.  If it's implemented in game correctly and setup correctly with the speakers then I can't see why people would say 5.1 would only work in a headset.  

CS might be an isolated case

Just now, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Can't put the rear speakers behind me... still viable in your opinion?

Go for a set of decent stereo speaker's then, What's your budget?

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Go for a set of decent stereo speaker's then, What's your budget?

Ideally around 100€ (i'm from Italy), no more than 150€... unless some miracle happens.

27 minutes ago, nick name said:

Your right you don't.  Game audio is well optimized.  When I game I hear where the character is behind me or up on the side or front etc..  Also if you have decent ears you can tell the directional just fine with speaker system.  Just grab a 7.1 USB headset but tell us what you want so we can give you the go ahead to get it.  There are a ton.  Razer makes them Corsair HyperX .. Just look around a bit for 7.1 usb headset and let us know your decision and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

At that budget you are much better off getting better stereo speakers vs worse surrounds. 

Stereo speakers can give good directional imaging in the sweet spot. Surrounds are only really needed when you are trying to provide correct imaging to multiple listeners (eg., theaters). 

12 minutes ago, WWicket said:

At that budget you are much better off getting better stereo speakers vs worse surrounds. 

Stereo speakers can give good directional imaging in the sweet spot. Surrounds are only really needed when you are trying to provide correct imaging to multiple listeners (eg., theaters). 

You don't think i'd loose the ability to track sound sources properly?

5 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

You don't think i'd loose the ability to track sound sources properly?

No. If you have well-separated stereo channels, you can determine position just fine. 

Try listening to this with a decent pair of stereo headphones to see what I mean: 

Stereo speakers aren't going to achieve as good of a binaural effect as headphones do, but they can do a pretty decent job. Just make sure to put them far enough apart from each other and evenly spaced. 

10 minutes ago, WWicket said:

No. If you have well-separated stereo channels, you can determine position just fine. 

Try listening to this with a decent pair of stereo headphones to see what I mean: 

Stereo speakers aren't going to achieve as good of a binaural effect as headphones do, but they can do a pretty decent job. Just make sure to put them far enough apart from each other and evenly spaced. 

Well pardon my french but holy fucking shit! I'm truly impressed! Now, just a little confirmation so i know i'm not allucinating or suffering from placebo effect: the clip where he opens the bottle of water, is mostly heard from the sides and the back, and the one after that (the brown paper bag) starts on the front. Can you confirm that?

In front or behind are tricky when your 'listening point' is stationary. They become a lot clearer in games when they are combined with visual indicators and changing volume relative to your position/ other sounds/ camera angle. Eg., if footsteps are quiet facing forward, and louder and too the left when facing left, it is obviously coming from behind your initial facing. Your brain keeps track of the position (subconsciously) and makes better sense of the spatial audio cues than you can with an audio-only demo like that clip. Hopefully that makes sense.

Bottle starts to the right and behind, then he walks to the left and sets the bottle opener down to the left and behind for me.

22 minutes ago, WWicket said:

In front or behind are tricky when your 'listening point' is stationary. They become a lot clearer in games when they are combined with visual indicators and changing volume relative to your position/ other sounds/ camera angle. Eg., if footsteps are quiet facing forward, and louder and too the left when facing left, it is obviously coming from behind your initial facing. Your brain keeps track of the position (subconsciously) and makes better sense of the spatial audio cues than you can with an audio-only demo like that clip. Hopefully that makes sense.

Bottle starts to the right and behind, then he walks to the left and sets the bottle opener down to the left and behind for me.

And what about the paper bag after it? Is it in the front at pretty much the beginning of it?

P.S. It was the same for me with the bottle. Just sides and behind, no front.

18 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

And what about the paper bag after it? Is it in the front at pretty much the beginning of it?

P.S. It was the same for me with the bottle. Just sides and behind, no front.

For me, it sounds like he comes from behind, holds the  bag directly over my head, or maybe over and slightly to the front, and then lowers the bag over my head...

but again, behind or in front are largely illusionary without a starting frame of reference or any counterpoints. 

5 minutes ago, WWicket said:

For me, it sounds like he comes from behind, holds the  bag directly over my head, or maybe over and slightly to the front, and then lowers the bag over my head...

but again, behind or in front are largely illusionary without a starting frame of reference or any counterpoints. 

Well your descriptions are extremely close (if not identical) to my own, so that mean... it works.

I mean yeah i was using a couple of stereo earphones, but the same principle should apply to stereo speakers as well, right?

1 hour ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Well your descriptions are extremely close (if not identical) to my own, so that mean... it works.

I mean yeah i was using a couple of stereo earphones, but the same principle should apply to stereo speakers as well, right?

That's the idea. It is basically impossible to get the effect as perfect with stereo speakers as headphones, between difficulty isolating the left from right and issues with reflections etc., but you can definitely get more detailed and accurate spatial-acoustic imaging than people expect out of stereo speakers. 

13 minutes ago, WWicket said:

That's the idea. It is basically impossible to get the effect as perfect with stereo speakers as headphones, between difficulty isolating the left from right and issues with reflections etc., but you can definitely get more detailed and accurate spatial-acoustic imaging than people expect out of stereo speakers. 

You're right, i didn't expect that much, and i hope to get the same feeling in case i decide to go for stereo.

You're really selling me on this one xD

I think that's misleading. In theory, with the right processing, you can get things to sound like that video on stereo speakers, but practically speaking, people don't do it. It would be like if I showed you a video of a guy using LN2 cooling and pretended like that was practical for everyday use. 

I have no idea if anyone even attempts things like that with speakers outside of virtual 5.1 sound bars and console gaming.

5 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

I think that's misleading. In theory, with the right processing, you can get things to sound like that video on stereo speakers, but practically speaking, people don't do it. It would be like if I showed you a video of a guy using LN2 cooling and pretended like that was practical for everyday use. 

I have no idea if anyone even attempts things like that with speakers outside of virtual 5.1 sound bars and console gaming.

So what you're saying is that with a stereo I won't have the same tracking capabilities as with a surround?

Also, what do you mean "with the right processing"?

4 hours ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

So what you're saying is that with a stereo I won't have the same tracking capabilities as with a surround?

Also, what do you mean "with the right processing"?

Yea, you won't have the same tracking capabilities.

If you are working with binaural audio for headphones, you would need crosstalk cancellation processing to make the speakers sound like headphones. If you are working with a surround sound source, you would need some type of virtual surround sound processing that is meant for speakers. In either case, it would still be better to use a surround sound source with actual surround sound speakers, since that works with your natural hearing.

1 hour ago, an actual squirrel said:

Yea, you won't have the same tracking capabilities.

If you are working with binaural audio for headphones, you would need crosstalk cancellation processing to make the speakers sound like headphones. If you are working with a surround sound source, you would need some type of virtual surround sound processing that is meant for speakers. In either case, it would still be better to use a surround sound source with actual surround sound speakers, since that works with your natural hearing.

You think that's still the case considering my rear speakers were always in front of me (far right and far left) but never behind me? I would still feel a solid difference?

17 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

You think that's still the case considering my rear speakers were always in front of me (far right and far left) but never behind me? I would still feel a solid difference?

No, you need to have them placed properly to have the benefits.

You can try IEM's and a loose mic. Some people tend to get neck pain when the headband of a headphone/headset is pushing on top of their head/crown.

I prefer stereo instead of the surround. Good stereo is should be good enough. Surround feels to artificial and mostly out of sync. 

Try harder and try more, prevail

7 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

No, you need to have them placed properly to have the benefits.

So if i'm used to an improperly placed 5.1, would i notice much difference (always in terms of tracking) with a stereo?