Searching for a SAFE way to disable auto reboot

HeartOfGermany

Hello folks. I am searching for a way, to stop windows from rebooting, if it THINKS it is idle and therefore can reboot after an update.

Rendering a video or similar definitely is not IDLE!

However I find hundrets of suicidal tutorials, which totally f*ck up OS security by completely disabling the reboot or even update service. A word for YOU: You need to go to jail for thinking of this! Cybercrimes are not small crimes. In german we say "Kriegsverbrechen", for what I mean to say. Like war-crime or so.

Bot.:

How do I either increase the countdown to 2 days (do show the window 2 days - of course I likely will click reboot much much sooner. Or disable a countdown, so the window asks for a user input. This is important for me.

Do under no circumstance EVER try to tell me or ANYONE, how to disable the updates! This is just wrong on any machine, connected to a network or internet.

Thanks a ton for the smart person with a safe and "legal" solutiion. (I mean it that way: Just because something is legal, doesn't make it good to do so. Also, just because something is illegal, does not make it a bad thing. Good is good and bad is bad. Legal is just legal... Simple?)

Have a nice day guys and like updating your pc - always use a condom. Security matters all the time!  ;) :D

I have just done it so that it never auto restarts, it only downloads the update, and when i go to the update center, i have the option to install it and then restart.

If you have win 10 pro you can do it in the "group policy" editor.

Or disable a countdown, so the window asks for a user input. This is important for me.

This policy right here: (but also only on win 10 pro...)

image.thumb.png.5b2156a45f663321ddb39f4059365020.png

If you have win 10 pro i recommend just going over each and every policy about the windows update, lots of useful stuff in there:

Spoiler

image.png.5e9d4e06725bd23ad5b069947f5818f6.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Best way to do this would be through the Local Group Policy editor. If you have a home version of Windows, you'll need to enable it first. 

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

I have just done it so that it never auto restarts, it only downloads the update, and when i go to the update center, i have the option to install it and then restart.

If you have win 10 pro you can do it in the "group policy" editor.

This policy right here: (but also only on win 10 pro...)

image.thumb.png.5b2156a45f663321ddb39f4059365020.png

If you have win 10 pro i recommend just going over each and every policy about the windows update, lots of useful stuff in there:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5e9d4e06725bd23ad5b069947f5818f6.png

Where precicely is this hidden? I cannot find it. German language does not help at all. :D

2 minutes ago, HeartOfGermany said:

Where precicely is this hidden? I cannot find it. German language does not help at all. :D

Idk.

I just put "group policy" in the windows search and it found it for me. Also never use windows in your local language, it is always a mess, and when troubleshooting you are making it 1000 times harder for yourself.

From there:

In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

In the Group Policy Management Editor, go to Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

That is all I needed. Thank you! ❤️

Somehow the filter option did not show the setting, even if the name was right... Well got it. Thank you!