Can you get scammed on Amazon?

Duski

So I never ordered something from Amazon and I was looking at some Xbox One controllers and found this..it doesn't really inspire trust. 

Untitled.png

Read the reviews and see who's shipping and selling it.

If it says "Shipped and sold by Amazon" then you're safe/protected for the most part. If it's from a third party seller with 2 reviews, avoid it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

If it says "Shipped and sold by Amazon" then you're safe/protected for the most part. If it's from a third party seller with 2 reviews, avoid it.

I would say pretty much anything on amazon is safe. Even if you do get a fake item they are great for taking things back and refunding your money with no questions asked.

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I would say pretty much anything on amazon is safe. Even if you do get a fake item they are great for taking things back and refunding your money with no questions asked.

But the problem is, if you buy something you know is fake, the scammers make money and continue to ratchet up their scams which makes the problem worse even if you're not directly impacted.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

But the problem is, if you buy something you know is fake, the scammers make money and continue to ratchet up their scams which makes the problem worse even if you're not directly impacted.

Amazon recovers that money though. Then if they are getting several reports on a particular seller they also ban them from selling with them.

So I don't see it that way. I see it as a platform for buying with the best customer service available when needed. If you get something bad... return it. Amazon will make it right and if someone is knowingly scamming they will be removed from the site.

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Amazon recovers that money though. Then if they are getting several reports on a particular seller they also ban them from selling with them.

But they don't recover the money though in most cases, just like with eBay/PayPal. You transfer the money away as soon as you get it and then launder it away and Amazon gets nothing back. They are starting to crack down on how easy it is to setup a seller account but a lot of times you can still circumvent it with fake information. If Amazon usually got their money back then scams wouldn't be growing on Amazon and they would look for another platform.

Edit:

Additionally if you have unknowing consumers buying fake items and they aren't educated on if it's fake then by the time they realize the scammers are long gone and onto other accounts or if people just buy them and shrug and don't bother to report and follow the process all the way through and just shrug it off then it's just compounding the issue.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So I don't see it that way. I see it as a platform for buying with the best customer service available when needed. If you get something bad... return it. Amazon will make it right and if someone is knowingly scamming they will be removed from the site.

Nah! They are clearly some scammers on Amazon now.

I did buy a little thing from a 3rd party seller (and I knew it was a 3rd party seller) as a test, it was shown as 11,99€ + 4,99€ shipping.

When I wanted to check out, all of a sudden the shipping jumped from 4,99€ to 32€ and the "express shipping" had been automagically enabled.

I changed it again to 4,99€ and waited...

It should have arrived on August, 23rd. I'm still waiting.

I contacted Amazon, sent a mail to the 3rd Party and told them that I wanted a refund.

They answered that they were going to send me a new one.

I replied, again, saying that I want a refund! And now I'm waiting...

I read also an article about the flood of scammers on Amazon since they totally opened their platform on 3rd party seller to Asian countries.

Now Amazon became another eBay... :-S  You always need to check and check again.

And it's better to buy from Amazon, as in"fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".

31 minutes ago, Duski said:

So I never ordered something from Amazon and I was looking at some Xbox One controllers and found this..it doesn't really inspire trust. 

Untitled.png

Looks like Microsoft is the party selling it. Who fullfills the order?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

give us the link

Microsoft is not selling...

THat's a big blinking red light

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

But they don't recover the money though in most cases, just like with eBay/PayPal. You transfer the money away as soon as you get it and then launder it away and Amazon gets nothing back. They are starting to crack down on how easy it is to setup a seller account but a lot of times you can still circumvent it with fake information. If Amazon usually got their money back then scams wouldn't be growing on Amazon and they would look for another platform.

Edit:

Additionally if you have unknowing consumers buying fake items and they aren't educated on if it's fake then by the time they realize the scammers are long gone and onto other accounts or if people just buy them and shrug and don't bother to report and follow the process all the way through and just shrug it off then it's just compounding the issue.

Your edit touched on why they do it. They do it because not everyone notices. So they count on getting enough money before their account gets closed to make it worth it. Amazon though only refunds those that report it as fake and they DO get that money back. So the seller of these fake items still keeps the money from those that don't get returned until their account gets enough reports to force a closure on it.

10 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Nah! They are clearly some scammers on Amazon now.

I did buy a little thing from a 3rd party seller (and I knew it was a 3rd party seller) as a test, it was shown as 11,99€ + 4,99€ shipping.

When I wanted to check out, all of a sudden the shipping jumped from 4,99€ to 32€ and the "express shipping" had been automagically enabled.

I changed it again to 4,99€ and waited...

It should have arrived on August, 23rd. I'm still waiting.

I contacted Amazon, sent a mail to the 3rd Party and told them that I wanted a refund.

They answered that they were going to send me a new one.

I replied, again, saying that I want a refund! And now I'm waiting...

I read also an article about the flood of scammers on Amazon since they totally opened their platform on 3rd party seller to Asian countries.

Now Amazon became another eBay... :-S  You always need to check and check again.

And it's better to buy from Amazon, as in"fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".

Pick up the phone and call Amazon or get on their chat platform. They will refund your money while on that chat.

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Pick up the phone and call Amazon or get on their chat platform. They will refund your money while on that chat.

Nah! I told you, it's a test... I'll follow the steps. ^o^

I knew what I was going into and I'll see how far it will go ?

OP, look down here

Microsoft_1.jpg.caafbeb23b13e9fbe64c6dde43cf8d52.jpg

Microsoft_2.jpg.8d14b2e755c45cd74a1e3101292704ed.jpg

You have to be a man with a lot of talent to do such a thing

PS2 Fat(JP) : PS2 S Silver(EU) : PS3 Super Slim : Nintendo Switch
Wii(x2) : SNES CE : Xbox One : Xbox 360 S(EU) : PS Vita 2000

21 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

give us the link

Microsoft is not selling...

THat's a big blinking red light

It's strange because it has a lot of reviews and it is also the ''Best Seller'' so idk.

https://www.amazon.de/Microsoft-Controller-Wireless-Adapter-Windows/dp/B078Y36QFJ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=34UPEN3K25SLG&keywords=xbox+one+controller&qid=1567258810&s=gateway&sprefix=xbox+one+c%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-4

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.

16 minutes ago, Duski said:

It's strange because it has a lot of reviews and it is also the ''Best Seller'' so idk.

Yes... it says "Best SELLER", not "Amazon's Choice"...

There have been cases where someone received the wrong product entirely because the sellers did a "switcharoo" of products in the box and when they shipped it back, Amazon claimed it wasn't the right item and refused to issue a refund...

Your best bet, as with pretty much anything you order online, would be to essentially film yourself opening a package, with a camera propped on a tripod or with someone else holding it. That way you have actual proof that it wasn't what it was. But even with that you can get fucked over.

Overall, as long as you order from a reliable seller (third party sellers have a rating, try to stick with "Sold and Shipped by Amazon" if you can) and a well reviewed item, you shouldn't have any issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

Amazon will still refund if it's a 3rd party.

Once got counterfeit headphones.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

OP, look down here

Microsoft_1.jpg.caafbeb23b13e9fbe64c6dde43cf8d52.jpg

Microsoft_2.jpg.8d14b2e755c45cd74a1e3101292704ed.jpg

Some sellers have inventory in foreign warehouses but are based elsewhere.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

49 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Some sellers have inventory in foreign warehouses but are based elsewhere.

It was an answer on the "it's sold by Microsoft", because it was written "Microsoft"...

Well, no... it's not... Not always.

9 hours ago, Duski said:

reviews and it is also the ''Best Seller''

In today's day and age, reviews and "Best Seller" or even "Amazon's Choice" banners mean nothing. Researching the seller & buying with a credit card that provides protection (or PayPal) is the best way to keep yourself safe when buying goods. Er, well, the best way is to physically touch & inspect the item before you hand over the money, but that's not exactly possible when buying online.

I just try to only buy things that say "Ships and sold by/from Amazon" or at the very least "Sold by XYZ and Fulfilled by Amazon", but only after I check the seller's listings, address, & ratings first. As long as you add the "Ships and sold by Amazon" version of the item to your cart, you're pretty safe.

image.png.f732bd6e252df7692559a4fce642f34c.png

image.png.40daffdaacc98812546221aef90806f9.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)