Alert if device goes offline?

I've recently set up a Pi Hole, and I'm not sure how reliable the Raspberry Pi I'm running it on is.

Are there any free solutions for this?

I'll need the software to work with Debian and Windows 10

Edit: I have no servers pointing out to the internet, it is only LAN.

Thanks in advance!

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

What kind of alert are you wanting? Because you could just make a script that continuously pings the Raspberry Pi and if it times out, throw some system alert.

Just a notification or email.

When DNS stops working, you will know the pihole is broken.  Or hear the screams of other people in the house when the internet is down.

edit: I've been running a pihole for years in a VM,  there has never been a problem.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

20 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

When DNS stops working, you will know the pihole is broken.  Or hear the screams of other people in the house when the internet is down.

edit: I've been running a pihole for years in a VM,  there has never been a problem.

That's a very good point, but I have set my router up to use 1.1.1.1 as secondary, so it should be about seamless!

The only reliabillity problem I've had so far, is that I set the Pi to reboot every night, but at 1am after the first self-reboot, there was no blocking at all (the pi would've rebooted at 12am) until I manually rebooted it in the morning when I checked the web interface and couldn't get to it. Once I'd rebooted there was traffic. There should'e been trafic before I'd had to reboot it.

Have a look at LibreNMS. It's free and works well out of the box. You can push out alerts to anything from email to a Hue lightbulb. 

PRTG is also quick & easy but is only free for up to 100 sensors. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

On 8/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, jake9000 said:

Have a look at LibreNMS. It's free and works well out of the box. You can push out alerts to anything from email to a Hue lightbulb. 

PRTG is also quick & easy but is only free for up to 100 sensors. 

Alright, thanks!