Windows Server 2012 R2 Raid transfer?

L.E.D
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

Just to add my two cents here, it's common in servers to have the boot drive separated from the data volume. I'm assuming you've installed everything on one big volume?

If they are on separate disks/volumes, I'd grab a random harddisk, slap a copy of Windows Server on it and try to read or repair the data volume from there.

Hey guys, long time no see ahah

Recently my home file 'server' shit the bed, running Windows Server 2012 R2 and a software raid.. i know blast me later about it.. After a good storm and a couple power flickers it no longer boots at all, just sits at the windows loading screen. It's been a long time since I have dealt with this I have no idea what to do, so I was wondering if it is at all possible to physically transfer the drives into my desktop and recreate the raid and still have all the data, if not I was wondering if someone would give me a hand in diagnosing this no boot situation.

Thanks for any help! Cheers! 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

- Moved to Servers and NAS -

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You need to know how you created your RAID, if you used the Windows Server native tools, you either created it in Disk Management or Storage Spaces. 

You can move the disks to another computer and import the RAID / Storage Pool, but there are limitations between Windows 10 & Server. 

If its Windows 10 Pro im pretty sure you can import a standard RAID5 in Disk Management just fine. 

I'm not sure if you can import a storage pool from Server 2012 to Windows 10 - need someone with more Storage Spaces experience to answer that. 

Of course your best bet, is to try booting your Windows Server into Safe mode and recover it. If you can boot into safe mode then you should be able to check the events to see what its complaining about on start up. If its just stuck (not in a reboot loop) you might also try unplugging the network cable during boot to see if this makes a difference. 

You might also boot it into the recovery console and run a SFC and try a boot repair if necessary. You could also look into repairing the health using DISM. 

If you get really stuck and have little to no app's installed, and nothing crucial on the OS drive then i'd even just unplug the storage disks and do a rebuild, then reconnect the disks and import the storage pool or RAID. It could be faster than trying to go through all the repair steps

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just to add my two cents here, it's common in servers to have the boot drive separated from the data volume. I'm assuming you've installed everything on one big volume?

If they are on separate disks/volumes, I'd grab a random harddisk, slap a copy of Windows Server on it and try to read or repair the data volume from there.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro