Really good gpu but bad FPS

Ashton Powell

Every game I get into has a max of like 150-240 FPS but keeps dropping down to 10-15 for a split second. Also, in Minecraft if I’m above ground I run like 60-100 FPS, but if I’m underground it goes up to 600 with a low of 15. The gpu is a rtx 2070, cpu i5 8400, 16gb ram and 850 watt Corsair psu. It’s really weird.

The 8400 is a good CPU, but I reckon you're being bottlenecked in those little situations 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

16GB ram of what

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Does this only occur to Minecraft? or does it pertain in other games as well? I would observe the utilization and clocks on your GPU or CPU to see if those are causing any issues with drops.

5 hours ago, Ashton Powell said:

Every game I get into has a max of like 150-240 FPS but keeps dropping down to 10-15 for a split second. Also, in Minecraft if I’m above ground I run like 60-100 FPS, but if I’m underground it goes up to 600 with a low of 15. The gpu is a rtx 2070, cpu i5 8400, 16gb ram and 850 watt Corsair psu. It’s really weird.

Indeed, what about the memory ? Frequency, CAS, single or dual channel ?

I can safely assume that you're being bottlenecked by your CPU. 6c/6t running at low frequency is a no no in gaming these days. Even highly overclocked 8600k will bottleneck you in modern games.

Monitor CPU and GPU usage using MSI Afterburner. You will probably see CPU hitting 95% and over resulting in stutters while GPU usage probably stays around 60-80% tops.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

13 hours ago, Kpite said:

Does this only occur to Minecraft? or does it pertain in other games as well? I would observe the utilization and clocks on your GPU or CPU to see if those are causing any issues with drops.

Other games this happens as well

8 hours ago, diwall said:

Indeed, what about the memory ? Frequency, CAS, single or dual channel ?

All I know is it’s 2 8 gig ddr4 2666

12 hours ago, Ashton Powell said:

All I know is it’s 2 8 gig ddr4 2666

Okay, it's fine i think. And when you install a software like HW Monitor (it's safe) to monitor CPU activity (because like said before, the problem is mostly the CPU or maybe hard drives / SSD). I can understand in some games there is FPS drops, but in Minecraft ?

Maybe a process is taking resources of the CPU, for example, I had some freezes on my computer, i found that one software (Roccat SWARM bullsh*t) was taking 1 core at 100% constantly.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:26 PM, Ashton Powell said:

Even a shitty no name pair of RAM won't cause an FPS drop that severe. 8400 does bottleneck your GPU in some degree, but this is not a problem of bottlenecking (where FPS is low but consistent), your FPS is jumping all over places.

My bet is on those things, from best (easiest to fix) to worst scenario:

1. Windows Update and/or Anti-Virus, try turning all those thing off and check again, these guys often cause a big dip in FPS while gaming
  2. Check your GPU & CPU usage right after Windows login to make sure no suspicious programs (coin mining for example) is running
  3. GPU drivers and/or Game files corruption (rarely but possible), try DDU and reinstall driver and/or game to check
  4. Try installing your game on a different disk, old hard drive may cause problem (rarely). If you're already on SSD, ignore this
  5. GPU over heating, try monitor your GPU Clock and Temp during gameplay, high temp can lead to inconsistent FPS, but not this level of severe though
  6. PSU malfunction, I actually encountered the same behavior in Dota 2 with my old GTX 760, FPS get more inconsistent over time and at one point system just crashes if I was in middle of a chaotic combat, I bought new PSU and everything's back to normal

I myself believe it's PSU problem though, I have experienced this kind of problem twice and both times it's PSU

the firs suspect to me is GPU drivers. try running DDU and reinstallign drivers for the 2070.

While an 8400 could theoredically cause a bottleneck (though a small one  with a 2070) ... in minecraft i highly doubt it is the CPU

the other option said above is tings running in the background, but I would try the drivers first. 

I just got a new cpu and there is no more fps drops in Minecraft, but there’s still some in call of duty and one after a couple of hours in Fortnite. I think it might just be the games at this point. Also, is it normal to run like 600 FPS on unlimited FPS on Minecraft?

9 hours ago, Ann Wang said:

Even a shitty no name pair of RAM won't cause an FPS drop that severe. 8400 does bottleneck your GPU in some degree, but this is not a problem of bottlenecking (where FPS is low but consistent), your FPS is jumping all over places.

My bet is on those things, from best (easiest to fix) to worst scenario:

1. Windows Update and/or Anti-Virus, try turning all those thing off and check again, these guys often cause a big dip in FPS while gaming
  2. Check your GPU & CPU usage right after Windows login to make sure no suspicious programs (coin mining for example) is running
  3. GPU drivers and/or Game files corruption (rarely but possible), try DDU and reinstall driver and/or game to check
  4. Try installing your game on a different disk, old hard drive may cause problem (rarely). If you're already on SSD, ignore this
  5. GPU over heating, try monitor your GPU Clock and Temp during gameplay, high temp can lead to inconsistent FPS, but not this level of severe though
  6. PSU malfunction, I actually encountered the same behavior in Dota 2 with my old GTX 760, FPS get more inconsistent over time and at one point system just crashes if I was in middle of a chaotic combat, I bought new PSU and everything's back to normal

I myself believe it's PSU problem though, I have experienced this kind of problem twice and both times it's PSU

I upgraded the psu twice though

Everybody has a bit of frame-drops, but this also sounds alot like back round processes spiking the hell out of CPU usage.  A few solutions i do when this is worrying me is 

A.  Purest  method would be to backup your important files (work stuff, personal photos, etc) and wipe hard drive and reinstall windows, ideally do this every year or so.  Im guessing you have no interest in this atm though, which is fine.

B. Simpler more reasonable thing to try is to disable the startup of all none-microsoft backround processes you dont need on startup in msconfig (type Windows+R type 'msconfig') using this menu.  I'd recommend taking screenshot of two before disabling them all as Steam etc won't work properly if you kill all steams processes, but you get disable google, whatever most things.  Menu for that looks like this

unknown.png
(^In example above, removing Google Update Service reduced CPU usage at idle and cleared a whole gig of ram for me.)

C.  Third and least scary option because you can just turn everything on off, is use something like Razor Cortex "Game Booster" to disable backround processes, you could potentially go through processes that pop up in this app one at a time if you wanted or just see if it helps, and if it doesn't then just disable game-boost and or even uninstall Razor Cortex (its free but will ask you to make a account) 
^Note about this:  This program is great for turning off backround programs, but certain features of it like "Razer Power Plan" Should NOT be used because default "Performance" power mode in windows is far superior, ive had mixed results with Razor's 'Game Booster', but it is a simple easy way to check the effect of 3rd party backround processes, incase you ever want to try to disable them 

Bonus: Your problem sounds more severe, like there is either a some programs eating processing power in backround or maybe bad driver install (im siding with aggressive CPU usage due to a program/app/process that should be disabled), but you can also try this.  If the stuttering is reduced by rebooting your computer then use this to get that same effect every 5 minutes without having to restart all the time. 

^This is also useful if you are playing on 8GB of ram with games like Battlefield which often ideally want 16+, in battlefield in particular its useful even on top-end systems just with 3900x and 2070S or better, although most games don't seem to run into the same issue (whatever it is) as battlefield 5 does.  All the same if restarting your system improves performance then id recommend above. 

4 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I can't really speak for other games, but Minecraft has this thing where it needs to load/generate chunks. That can take a non trivial amount of CPU time depending on how many chunks you want simulated at once.

I found the problem. My gpu is only running at 15% max for some reason. Is there a way to fix this or to make it run at full potential? Cpu usage doesn’t go over 15%

6 minutes ago, Ashton Powell said:

I found the problem. My gpu is only running at 15% max for some reason. Is there a way to fix this or to make it run at full potential? Cpu usage doesn’t go over 15%

If it's the Java version of Minecraft, there are things you can poke at in the JVM settings to make it use more resources. However I haven't messed with this myself so I can't tell you what to do there.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If it's the Java version of Minecraft, there are things you can poke at in the JVM settings to make it use more resources. However I haven't messed with this myself so I can't tell you what to do there.

It happens on other games as well

On 8/21/2019 at 8:11 AM, PopsicleHustler said:

I can safely assume that you're being bottlenecked by your CPU. 6c/6t running at low frequency is a no no in gaming these days. Even highly overclocked 8600k will bottleneck you in modern games.

Monitor CPU and GPU usage using MSI Afterburner. You will probably see CPU hitting 95% and over resulting in stutters while GPU usage probably stays around 60-80% tops.

I actually just bought a new cpu and it is still having the same problem. It made Fortnite run smoother, but Minecraft still drops to 20 for a millisecond and makes me lag. Same with call of duty.

Turn V sync on or lock your frame rate. Also you can turn up some of the details if you are running at a lower frame rate. Also check your power settings, a potato system can run minecraft and your system should dominate it.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

On 8/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, MadAnt250 said:

Turn V sync on or lock your frame rate. Also you can turn up some of the details if you are running at a lower frame rate. Also check your power settings, a potato system can run minecraft and your system should dominate it.

What should my power settings be?

4 hours ago, Ashton Powell said:

What should my power settings be?

High performance. I had a problem with the POS and chrome freezing and crashing at work, it turns out the power setting was reset/changed after an update. I switched it back to high performance and the problems were gone.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches