Should I use pfsense, opnsense, or just get a retail router

JuliusW

I know the customizability of opensense but I also think it might be ok to just use a regular router, but I’m doing home lab kinda things and just want a couple peoples opinion, my family likes to do tons of streaming videos and I like video editing/server hosting.

8 minutes ago, JuliusW said:

my family likes to do tons of streaming videos and I like video editing

None of that requires anything a budget router couldn't do.

8 minutes ago, JuliusW said:

server hosting

Depending on what you do, a more capable router-OS like e.g. pfSense or OpenWRT could be useful. It entirely depends on your needs, though.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would get an Edgerouter 3 lite for your usecase, it has many options to dive into if you want (beyond the basic port forwarding and such).

You can get a NetGate appliance that already has pfSense on it. 

you could get a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 3 Lite / Edgerouter 4

You could get a Microtik RB2011

You could get any number of high end consumer routers like a Nighthawk and run DDWRT

The list is pretty endless on what you could run, but at the end of the day running more than a standard consumer router isnt required for just a household streaming some videos. 

You really are looking more at higher end gear if you're doing VLAN's/Multiple Subnets, lots of NAT, Intrusion prevention, load balancing, etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

If you don’t particularly care to work on learning anything on networking/VLANs/VPN/etc, then get a standard router you can buy on Amazon or at any box retail store.

If you actually want to get your feet wet then I recommend either getting a router you can flash to DD-WRT/Tomato or turn an old PC into a PFSense router (you’ll just need a spare NIC card to add to it.)

Pfsense makes more sense for the sake of learning because of all the functionality and plugins you can download and use.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

10 hours ago, Sevilla said:

If you actually want to get your feet wet then I recommend either getting a router you can flash to DD-WRT/Tomato or turn an old PC into a PFSense router (you’ll just need a spare NIC card to add to it.)

Yes; if you have an interest in learning some networking stuff, PFsense has been awesome to me. I have not seen stability out of a router better than the PFsense appliance and PFsense VM that I use for my projects.