Fully 3D Printed

7 minutes ago, dj52wtf said:

a bunch of pictures

Looks very clean! What material are you printing in?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you!

This is printed in Esun PLA+. It is a bit better suited from a heat and strength standpoint than standard PLA.

I will take some time shortly to add more info on the process and components.   

Edited by dj52wtf

Not bad quite impressive... What program are you using?

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Highly impressed- almost embarrassed to ask this- but would you be willing to share the design files?

I have been thinking about doing almost exactly this for a few days now, but haven't had to motivation to CAD it all up haha!

21 hours ago, Kered124 said:

Highly impressed- almost embarrassed to ask this- but would you be willing to share the design files?

I have been thinking about doing almost exactly this for a few days now, but haven't had to motivation to CAD it all up haha!

Thank you kindly. 

The design still needs a bit of work before it is being released. One thing I am finding is that different manufacturers seem to put their sockets in slightly different locations and minor differences like that. 

I plan to make these available once I am satisfied that most others using these will be satisfied as well. 

11 hours ago, dj52wtf said:

The design still needs a bit of work before it is being released. One thing I am finding is that different manufacturers seem to put their sockets in slightly different locations and minor differences like that. 

I plan to make these available once I am satisfied that most others using these will be satisfied as well. 

Awesome- I'm glad to hear you plan on sharing them! 

Out of curiosity, what CAD software did you draw them in?

On 8/12/2019 at 6:41 AM, Kered124 said:

Awesome- I'm glad to hear you plan on sharing them! 

Out of curiosity, what CAD software did you draw them in?

This was done entirely in Solidworks. 

I did find that the manufacturers are putting their sockets in different locations. I will be releasing an version of these where you can modify the location of the hole prior to printing.

Also looking into supporting a few different form factors for the video cards. 

Might be a bit.  

• 3 weeks later...

curious, what material are you printing in? because PLA with it´s low durability to sunlight, time, and of course a max of 60 degrees seems to be a no go..

and the printer you have, does not seem to be a closed enclosure, so it seems not to be ABS, and PTEG usually is transparent? ..

so i am back to PLA, which seems to be a bold choice for such a project?

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

PTEG usually is transparent?

No, it's not. Literally every place I've ever even look at that sells PETG, sells it in billions of colours. Hell, I have a closet full of PETG in various colours myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are also modified PLA-varieties than can handle somewhat higher temperatures. I have some that can handle up to about 90C before it melts, for example. These varieties are a tad more expensive than regular kind, but print just as nicely.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

No, it's not. Literally every place I've ever even look at that sells PETG, sells it in billions of colours. Hell, I have a closet full of PETG in various colours myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are also modified PLA-varieties than can handle somewhat higher temperatures. I have some that can handle up to about 90C before it melts, for example. These varieties are a tad more expensive than regular kind, but print just as nicely.

i know there are smart PLA and also smart ABS, carbon infused materials, and so on.. i´m still just asking what it was printed in..

personally i only print PLA and PET-G but i really would like ABS, because of the possiblity of actually sanding it more, i´m really not into PETG, it does not print great on my printer.. the cheaper Creality cr-10 s pro, with the microswiss upgrade. so as long as it is temporary solutions i use PLA, it is also better for the enviroment.

• 1 month later...

Nice work, looks like you did a lot of planning up-front.

How much sanding did you have to do for fit and finish?

Sick!

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 10/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, Jeff In Austin said:

Nice work, looks like you did a lot of planning up-front.

How much sanding did you have to do for fit and finish?

Thank you kindly! 

No sanding was necessary. There is a slight bit of texture to the outside but the lines are quite clean and the PLA+ is holding up well.  

I love it!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

@dual290x I did design my own Mini-ITX 3D printed enclosure but when I saw how long it was going to take & much plastic it was going to use I pussied out. Still have the prototype if anybody else wants to have a go printing it.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

@dual290x I did design my own Mini-ITX 3D printed enclosure but when I saw how long it was going to take & much plastic it was going to use I pussied out. Still have the prototype if anybody else wants to have a go printing it.

Thankfully the printers I used for this are actually quite fast and of very high quality. Overall the printing of all of this took about 20 hour total. About 20% of that time was because I had the time to spare and slowed it down to keep the quality as high as possible. 

Set up a post in the mods section and forward the link. I would love to have a look!

On 8/11/2019 at 1:13 AM, dj52wtf said:

Here is a few of the design process.

89609374_Update0302-AUG-2019.thumb.PNG.63a2dd4ac9fc1ed0e58f67e13bb337f1.PNG2115348003_Update0402-AUG-2019.thumb.PNG.902dcbf4115da23e085c6f7adbac694d.PNG

Update01 02-AUG-2019.PNG

Update00 02-AUG-2019.PNG

20190802_235005.jpg

Dang! Looks amazing! Hows the Temps?

1 minute ago, everettrules said:

Dang! Looks amazing! Hows the Temps?

After swapping the stock cooler out for the Noctua L9X65 the temps are around 65-70ish with the CPU and GPU both under full load. 

One of the very interesting things I have found is that if you limit the volume of air inside it is much easier to cool overall.

I am working on the second generation of this that will actually do away with the two drives, ssd and mechanical and use and M.2 with a much never CPU. With the elimination of those drives I can add a higher end GPU as well. 

This will continue to be a work in progress.

10 minutes ago, dj52wtf said:

After swapping the stock cooler out for the Noctua L9X65 the temps are around 65-70ish with the CPU and GPU both under full load. 

One of the very interesting things I have found is that if you limit the volume of air inside it is much easier to cool overall.

I am working on the second generation of this that will actually do away with the two drives, ssd and mechanical and use and M.2 with a much never CPU. With the elimination of those drives I can add a higher end GPU as well. 

This will continue to be a work in progress.

Sweet!