is the epic games launcher bitcoin mining or something

I was watching youtube and then videos started lagging even though the grey bar is well ahead of the red bar so i opened task manager and this is what i see

image.png.e0ef9f12e92804950a5ddcfac53d481d.png

I dont have a game running and even so it shouldnt show that the launcher is using a lot of resources i just have alan wake downloading. I've never had steam or any other game launcher use so much resources just downloading a game in fact i have the twitch launcher downloading a game a the same time and it doesnt even show up in the top 3 cpu usage.

I have a i7 4770 

edit

image.png.2a610b624d3622b73d1d2ad512722e82.png

its getting worse

edit2

276484978_steaminstall.PNG.d73b07bf09d280cd3defacd968bfb159.PNG

steam for reference

edit 3: 

ok the steam for reference was using 100% orange juice a much smaller game than alan wake so i thought maybe its an unfair comparison so i started downloading civ 5 a similar sized game and this happened

nani.PNG.ecbbbd0400850eadeeb47eefea150921.PNG

why its not even downloading anything im downloading on steam

edit4

image.png.3e5b6e1a2b124e87949dfda6e528a474.png

steam download finished epic games launcher cpu usage went back to 0 im starting to think this is some sort of DRM thing can someone else test theirs

Look at installed lists of programs - maybe it got installed when downloading something.

also can you kill the process ??

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its getting worse 

If it's mining i'm sure the news will be out by now, so I assume it's a bug/leak, keep an eye on any reports though, this will not bode well for them if it's actually mining.. oh boy

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Look at installed lists of programs - maybe it got installed when downloading something.

also can you kill the process ??

yes i can but that will just close the launcher and stop my download of alan wake. its finished now and cpu usage dropped to 0 thankfully

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

If it's mining i'm sure the news will be out by now, so I assume it's a bug/leak, keep an eye on any reports though, this will not bode well for them if it's actually mining.. oh boy

yeah i titled it as a joke lol

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Its downloading stuff while also decompressing it. 

probably but thats some pretty insane compression then steam also downloads and decompresses and only uses like 20% or so

Just now, spartaman64 said:

probably but thats some pretty insane compression then steam also downloads and decompresses and only uses like 20% or so

Yup. Well it doesnt help if its doung more than just 1 download and decompress. Might be multiple. Also steam decompression might only be singlthreaded. Not sure

Yup. Well it doesnt help if its doung more than just 1 download and decompress. Might be multiple. Also steam decompression might only be singlthreaded. Not sure

look at edit 3 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

look at edit 3 

Doesnt mean the decompressing is done even when the download has ended.

Wait an hour or three. If nothign changes then contact Epic Games. It should only be decompressing work

Doesnt mean the decompressing is done even when the download has ended.

Wait an hour or three. If nothign changes then contact Epic Games. It should only be decompressing work

when the download finished the cpu usage dropped to 0 and when i opened the launcher i can play alan wake and then you see when i was downloading 100% orange juice on steam it was still at 0 but then i started downloading civ 5 and it went back up again

edit: steam download finished and the usage by the epic launcher dropped back to 0 ...

• 1 month later...

idk if this is false or not but i happened to scan on an anti-malware software..

it doesn't affect me (yet) but i'd be a fool if it is a false alarm

Annotation 2019-10-07 063230.png

• 2 months later...

Even if every computer on the Epic store was pooled together, it could barely do anything up against the current bitcoin network hashrate

On 10/7/2019 at 12:34 AM, GGummy said:

idk if this is false or not but i happened to scan on an anti-malware software..

it doesn't affect me (yet) but i'd be a fool if it is a false alarm

Annotation 2019-10-07 063230.png

Considering my EGS install didn't add those folders I'm guessing that epicnet Inc thing is unrelated to anything epic games related and is more likely some mining malware that is trying to post as something from epic games.

10 hours ago, JoshHendi said:

Even if every computer on the Epic store was pooled together, it could barely do anything up against the current bitcoin network hashrate

yeah it was a joke title it was probably some DRM shit or something