Yahoo Mail Accounts Hacked, Passwords Reset

PillowSmoke

461332585.jpg

An unspecified number of Yahoo Mail users have had their usernames and passwords compromised, the company announced late Thursday. The hack appears to have taken place via a compromised third party database, and Yahoo has taken the precaution of resetting the passwords of affected users.

"Our ongoing investigation shows that malicious computer software used the list of usernames and passwords to access Yahoo Mail accounts," Yahoo senior VP Jay Rossiter said in a Tumblr post. "The information sought in the attack seems to be names and email addresses from the affected accounts’ most recent sent emails ... we have no evidence that they were obtained directly from Yahoo’s systems."

SEE ALSO: Yahoo Disses Gmail on Twitter, Then Backtracks

Rossiter wouldn't say what third-party database contained all the emails. But if your account was one of the ones affected, your password has been reset automatically — and you should be getting an email or text message (if you've set up two-factor authentication) with further details. Yahoo says it's working with law enforcement to find the perpetrators.

This is only the latest in a series of embarrassments for Yahoo services. CEO Marissa Mayer apologized last month for a days-long outage of the Mail service, which for some users was hidden behind erroneous "system down for maintenance" messages. This was followed up by a major Flickr outage.

The company recently rolled out 2048-bit SSL encryption for Yahoo Mail, designed to make the service more secure.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

We need 1Tb SSL encryption

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

They Suck anyway. My mum is not that good with computers. Anyway we were with BT (Yahoo) for our internet/phone/tv, we left them a few years back, but the other month my mum asked me for help as she could not get into her account. I tried and failed, so i phoned them up and they said "As you are no longer with BT, you can only keep your email account if you pay £40 a year". We said hell no to that, be they agreed to enable the account for 24 - 48 hours, so I can move all her contacts and emails over to gmail, and change her email on loads of sites. 
I think it was really rude of them to just disable her account, without informing her why.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

im not able to get into either of my yahoo accounts. just says it cant login and no option to reset password....

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

im not able to get into either of my yahoo accounts. just says it cant login and no option to reset password....

For some reason, I'm still logged into my account, and I've gotten no notification to change my password. Strange.

COMIC SANS

For some reason, I'm still logged into my account, and I've gotten no notification to change my password. Strange.

Same here. I had to manually go into my account options to change it.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

They did said that they reset the password of affected users, if you did not get a notice, most likely your account was not affected.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

omg !!! :o

someone still use yahoo ? :lol:

Gmail only gained a leading percentage a year or two ago. Im gessing previously it was split between mainly hotmail and yahoo mail.