New Laptop after Dell XPS9570

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

Lenovo X1 EXtreme - it's basically better than the XPS in every way possible. Get a FHD display and you'll be enjoying long battery life and business-class durability.

Hello to all,

I want to change my Dell XPS9570 after some issues/bugs I've been going through, that neither me nor Dell could fix up to his point.

So I'm asking for an alternative, which should just be slightly better than this laptop, considering a proper, not oversaturated, display, no crackling sound and no slow Wi-Fi issues. Price can go up as about this one, so around 3.200€.

Currently I'm running the Intel Core i9 8950HK Model, with 1050Ti Graphics, the (grossly oversaturated) 4K Infinity Edge touch display, 32GB RAM and 1TB of NVME Storage.

What I need the laptop for / what is important for me:

- portability (this one is light enough and has a nice form factor)

- battery life (this one has a nice battery life imo, depending of course what you do)

- need to run casual games (mostly DotA2)

- need to use Office/Adobe Suite occasionally/ArchiCAD and some light rendering/watching Netflix

- thin bezels would be nice

- I would really like to be able to open it with one finger (like a MacBook, just not a MacBook ?)

What I don't need

- a touch display

- a oversaturated display

- bad, crackling sound

- slow Wi-Fi (sometimes I want to game over Wi-Fi as it is more comfortable, i.e. if I want to game in a room that does not have a port access - I know its not ideal, but I've been gaming of Wi-Fi on my older machines couple of years ago and it went fine, never had any major problems, as with this one)

- I don't think I need a i9 necessarily for what I do, an i7 should be fine I think.

I hope this is not too much I'm asking for. 

Happy and grateful for every suggestion!

Cheers,
Richard?

Here are a few good alternatives to your XPS:

Alienware m15, this can be configured with a 90WHr battery, is super thin and light yet packs a lot of power under the hood and does not have any issues. I've personally owned it a few months back and loved it. I got it from HIDevolution and got their thermal upgrade by choosing "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" in the laptop configurator. That upgrade alone reduces temps by 15C which is much needed in this thin laptops. I advice you to choose that upgrade which only costs $90 USD regardless of which laptop you choose from the recommendations below.

If you enjoy playing games, then a screen with a refresh rate of 144hz will give you much better experience.

Custom Built ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GV-PB74 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-9750H - RTX 2060

Custom Built Gigabyte AERO 15 Classic-SA-F74ADW - 15.6" FHD 144Hz - i7-9750H - GTX 1660 Ti

Custom Built Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme 20MF000LUS Workstation - 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) IPS w/ nVIDIA GTX1050 TI Max-Q

I've live in Dubai and have been buying my laptops for the past 5 years from these guys as their customer service and quality control is superb. Every laptop that I bought worked great out of the box and they offer lifetime tech support which is much better than the standard OEM tech support/customer service.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Lenovo X1 EXtreme - it's basically better than the XPS in every way possible. Get a FHD display and you'll be enjoying long battery life and business-class durability.

damn even more pricey than dell and I thought Lenovo is a budget oriented company.

16 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

damn even more pricey than dell and I thought Lenovo is a budget oriented company.

It's the best in it's class - expected price. It's got near military spec standards and excels in almost every department. It's what the XPS tried to be. Naturally, it's expensive.

and no, Lenovo Dell and HP are the premium business laptop manufacturers - their ThinkPad/Latitude/EliteBook markets are both expensive and the best quality options available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, 5x5 said:

5x5, again, thank you for your helpful input.

After some careful consideration and research, I will go for the X1 Extreme 2nd Gen and place the order on Monday. At first I was a bit disappointed, as the Lenovo retail shop in Austria did not have any i7 configurations without a 4K display. The online shop for the 2nd Gen seems to be more "complete", as you can configure your machine as much as you like. So I'll go for the FHD display to enjoy the longer battery life. Whats really funny is, that with all configurations and extended warranty etc., it's still cheaper then the Dell XPS15.

Anyway, thank you all so much for the inputs and suggestions, this thread is solved for me.

Kind regards,

Richard