doordash pockets tips meant for employees

spartaman64
5 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Its the same thing happening whether with cash or CC. As I said
"Pretend this was all done with cash so it is easier to visualize"

Except this is only regarding CC. There is no cash option to talk about here. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Except this is only regarding CC. There is no cash option to talk about here. 

Yes, that is why I said

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Yes, that is why I said

Your whole argument is a deflection, an obfuscation. Tipping in cash would not have to be reported to Doordash and the employee would retain it all, but Doordash is taking whatever tip the customer makes to the driver and relieving themselves of their end of the payout. 

You can continue your pretension nonsense as much as you'd like, but this is despicable behavior either way. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

20 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Tipping in cash would not have to be reported to Doordash

and thats why I said

that includes pretending it would be reported too.

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

and thats why I said

that includes pretending it would be reported too.

[rolls eyes]

Spoiler

Are you going to explain why they should not be touching the CC tips vs the "unreported cash tips"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are you going to explain why they should not be touching the CC tips vs the "unreported cash tips"?

they aren't touching either ones. Not reporting the tips just means they send you more money.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

The title is absolutely FALSE

Doordash promises you a minimum wage and give extra money if you don't make enough in tips

Doordash does not take any money from tips

I'd need to see some actual evidence.

As in, them telling their employees that they are guaranteed compensation equal to minimum wage, provided that their tips fall below minimum wage.

Most delivery places, as far as I know, rely entirely on their employees not being aware of this requirement.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I want my delivery dudes to get a decent base wage then tips on top.  Don't pay them less because I'm tipping that's a crock of steamy poops

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

20 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I want my delivery dudes to get a decent base wage then tips on top.  Don't pay them less because I'm tipping that's a crock of steamy poops

Talk to congress. They seem to think tips equate to guaranteed income like normal pay does. Hence the IRS having the ability to tax tips that are reported to them.

Which is complete and utter shit in my opinion.

Edit: And experience. I was a delivery driver for a little over a year. Tips are absolute shit and the only way to guarantee tips for yourself is to fuck over other delivery drivers and avoid orders to certain areas and neighborhoods.

I could elaborate in depth, but it would probably violate the CoC and spark several arguments. Suffice to say that some groups of the population tip more reliably than others, but that population would absolutely surprise you, whereas two other groups are either hit and miss, or a complete crap shoot.

21 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

As in, them telling their employees that they are guaranteed compensation equal to minimum wage, provided that their tips fall below minimum wage.

They aren't paid by min wage, they are guaranteed a minimum wage per delivery. if the customer doesn't give them enough money to meet that minimum, then doordash pays the rest to meet that minimum

12 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

They seem to think tips equate to guaranteed income like normal pay does.

It literally is though

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

They aren't paid by min wage, they are guaranteed a minimum wage per delivery. if the customer doesn't give them enough money to meet that minimum, then doordash pays the rest to meet that minimum

It literally is though

Except that most employers (in my experience) don't tell their employees this, and also don't act upon it unless the employee makes a stink about it.

I didn't know it, and no one told me about it, until long after I had left domino's as a result of a car crash where I was not at fault.

That's another problem with the industry. Your basically going to destroy your own car for no compensation. No covering of fuel, maintenance, etc.

Whether through a crash, or wear and tear.

I'm guessing that you are either a franchise owner or a small/medium delivery company owner? Never heard anyone else actually defend these people.

I have however read articles on www.pmq.com talking about how you can save overhead by employing your drivers as contractors, to avoid having to pay them more than you normally would.

The pizza industry is run by assholes in my experience.

No offense to any of you, but none of us should be tipping our tips should be used to make ends meet for the employee. Doordash has to pay the entirety of their payment, and the tip should wholly be given to the driver. 

This seems like a loophole that must be closed. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No offense to any of you, but none of us should be tipping our tips should be used to make ends meet for the employee. Doordash has to pay the entirety of their payment, and the tip should wholly be given to the driver. 

This seems like a loophole that must be closed. 

As a conservative who believes in capitalism, I entirely agree.

It's easy to enact. Just don't tip electronically. The owner has no way of knowing how much cash a driver was given, beyond what the driver puts into his till at the end of the night.

Neither does anyone else for that matter, such as the IRS who seems to think they're entitled to a slice of that particularly small pie.

Fuck them and fuck the owners. Don't tip electronically, and if you're a driver don't report your tips in cash. I reported anywhere between $00.10-$00.75 a night. If they think I'm lying they're welcome to fucking prove it. If your manager tries to force you to report those tips, collectively threaten to quit and they WILL back down. In my experience they run these shops so small that they don't really have a fucking choice. 3 people quitting would put your average small town domino's out of service.

Also, www.pmq.com is somewhat fascinating to occasionally look at. Sometimes you'll find an interesting recipe, other times you'll find an article written about how to fuck your employees over to make you more money.

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Except that most employers (in my experience) don't tell their employees this, and also don't act upon it unless the employee makes a stink about it.

you can sue them right now if they broke a contract, doesn't matter how long ago that was.

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Doordash has to pay the entirety of their payment, and the tip should wholly be given to the driver. 

already happens. doordash pays what they promised and the driver gets the full tip.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Or is that the credit card company?

Credit card companies dont charge you for using your card, the only thing credit card companies charge you is 1) Interest and 2) some have yearly fees. The only time you would be charged for using Plastic, is by the merchant. Such as Gas Stations charging 10 cents more a gallon if you choose to use plastic. Many merchants just have a minimum you have to buy before you can use a card. Now Debit cards are another story, the bank may charge you a fee for each transaction.

On a second note: I guess I wont be testing out door dash then. I kinda find this as an ass hole move. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

The only way to avoid this (or alter this percentage) was by standing in a long line on day one to change it...

You can go to the main desk at any point during a cruise and opt out of the built in tips. Also, the line is generally only long when everyone gets on and needs to get things sorted or the day before getting off, when everyone wants to get things sorted.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Neither does anyone else for that matter, such as the IRS who seems to think they're entitled to a slice of that particularly small pie.

Why shouldn't tips be taxable? It's still a part of your income, regardless of how big or small it might be (and it can certainly amount to large numbers in certain areas).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Credit card companies dont charge you for using your card

They charge a processing fee that the merchant usually pays for, but sometimes passed on directly to the customer.

29 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

then I make sure the deliveryman keeps 100% of the tip. Not the company, but the deliveryman himself.

the deliveryman in this case does keep 100% of the tip, the company just simply pays drivers who get tips less.

Just now, poochyena said:

They charge a processing fee that the merchant usually pays for, but sometimes passed on directly to the customer.

Again thats not the card provider charging YOU the fee, which is what I stated above. The fact is the credit card company does not charge the consumer shit, they charge the merchant and its up to the merchant if they want to 1) eat the cost, 2) pass the cost on 3) dont accept cards. Thats the difference. In the type of business door dash is in, I dont see them charging that kind of fee. Also as I stated above. MOST merchants will set a minimum amount you have to buy, to make it worth it for them. Generally these are mom and pop store locations. The people I ever seen charge a fee for using you card is 1) The government, Local city will tack on a fee if you use your card to pay the water bill, 2) Gas Stations, at least in Michigan, in the tune of about 10 cents per gallon more. 

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

the deliveryman in this case does keep 100% of the tip, the company just simply pays drivers who get tips less.

Which is bull shit. And thats why I will not use this service until they change their tune. So sick of workers in this country getting the fucking shaft all the damn time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

Pretend this was all done with cash so it is easier to visualize for you. If the customer gives you a one $5 bill and four $1 bills, would those five bills ever be taken by doordash? no.

That does not matter. Surely I don't need to explain to you that actually touching the money is not necessary. Suppose doordash paid you 10$ as part of your agreement with them, but before doing that they took your tip money and used it to pay those 10$. That is what's happening here. The physical act of taking the money and giving it back to you as part of your regular pay rather than just paying you less is irrelevant.

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

Theft is when something is stolen. Nothing is stolen.

There are far more ambiguous situations than this that are classified as theft. Regardless whether it is theft or not is irrelevant - what matters are the consequences to the workers and what the company stands to gain from it.

8 hours ago, MMKing said:

Everyone should just stop tipping entirely. So that Doordash will have to pay the full 10 dollar on every delivery. Then we can get what everyone wanted in the first place, a company which pays 100% of the salary with 0% dependence on tips. 

I agree that tipping is bullshit, I also clearly said so, but removing the tip from a tip based system without raising the base salary is detrimental to the employee. Ideally doordash would pay a higher fixed rate, raise the price for the customer and remove tipping.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Why shouldn't tips be taxable? It's still a part of your income, regardless of how big or small it might be (and it can certainly amount to large numbers in certain areas).

Because it's not apart of my income. It isn't paid to me by my employer.

It's a charitable act. It's not a reliable income and the variability of how much you get is far too unpredictable to be taxed.

Also because... It's my money and I said no? They already pay income tax, sales tax, taxes on gas and cigarettes and all kinds of things. Sooner or later, they (the government) can get their fucking hands out of our pockets.

25 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Because it's not apart of my income. It isn't paid to me by my employer. It's a charitable act.

They are absolutely income, the source is irrelevant. Profit generated from investments also aren't from my employer and yet they are also taxable income -- as they should be.

It's not a reliable income and the variability of how much you get is far too unpredictable to be taxed.

Which is why you're taxed based on what you actually take home at the end of the day....

Also because... It's my money and I said no? They already pay income tax, sales tax, taxes on gas and cigarettes and all kinds of things. Sooner or later, they (the government) can get their fucking hands out of our pockets.

That's another debate altogether. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

They are absolutely income, the source is irrelevant. Profit generated from investments also aren't from my employer and yet they are also taxable income -- as they should be.

Which is why you're taxed based on what you actually take home at the end of the day....

That's another debate altogether. 

I find it hilariously inaccurate to compare profit from investments to the, comparatively infinitesimally small, amount that a delivery driver makes in tips. I was lucky enough most nights to pay back the $20.00 I took out of the till to get gas, and maybe go home with $5.00. Ending up in the same place the next night because by the end of the night I had burnt most of that gas. That was pretty common across the entire city from what I learned speaking to the other drivers at all three of our stores in that city.

And I was the fastest driver of any of the Domino's in our city, based on delivery times which are recorded by the computer system used at the time (when the order was placed, made, put in the oven, when it left the store and when I came back).

I'm sorry but no. That absolutely should not be taxed. If you want tax revenue take it from companies employing people via "payroll companies" so they can continue claiming to be a small business. Or maybe lower the amount of money paid to our idiotic politicians.

Government absolutely should not be entitled to a percentage every single time money changes hands between people, not every single transaction.

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Again thats not the card provider charging YOU the fee

any fee charged to a merchant is passed onto the consumer.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

they took your tip money and used it to pay those 10$. That is what's happening here.

No, its not

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

The physical act of taking the money and giving it back to you as part of your regular pay rather than just paying you less is irrelevant.

wtf? You are literally claiming they are taking the money, and now claiming whether they are taking the money is irrelevant? They don't touch the tip at all except for it being processed through their servers and to you. Doordash it NOT pocketing the money or keeping it. The tip the customer gives you goes directly to you.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

it's not apart of my income.

Literally any money you get is part of your income. You find a $5 bill on the ground and put it in your wallet, and that $5 is part of your income.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

wtf? You are literally claiming they are taking the money, and now claiming whether they are taking the money is irrelevant?

Oh please, are you seriously arguing over the literal meaning of taking money? If this is the level of discussion I see no point in continuing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*