HELP! 2080ti failed to show signal after liquid metal application

20190801_232119.thumb.jpg.a939e560d2f5c3da9b9229351b53d98d.jpgGuys, i think im in shit.

After the failed post of 2080ti with liquid metal, i think it is fried, but i would like a second opinion, there is one small capacitator/periphral core missing after reopen the assembly.

Check the pics, the one right next to the corner of N letter for nvidia is missing/gone?

Confirm me if im wrong, should i do a retry?

Or is it dead and gone to heaven?

Is there any, tbh not a lot, chance/action should i take to save it? I mean it is afterall a 2080ti....

Anything more should i do or try?

20190801_232316.jpg

20190801_232253.jpg

Edited by swordlife
picture have been updated for the after reopen

1 minute ago, swordlife said:

Guys, i think im in shit.

After the failed post of 2080ti with liquid metal, i think it is fried, but i would like a second opinion, there is one small capacitator/periphral core missing after reopen the assembly.

Check the pics, the one right next to the corner of N letter for nvidia is missing/gone?

Is there any, tbh not a lot, chance/action should i take to save it? I mean it is afterall a 2080ti....

20190801_232316.jpg

20190801_232253.jpg

If u cant reball the chip ur out of luck what i would do is put it back togehter and send it in for repair say it just stopped working maybe they belive u that the chip just fall off ^^ 

I don't see anything missing, you'd have to do before and after pics.

What I do see is a ton of thermal paste all over and inbetween those components. Take a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol or whatever, windex if you must, and clean all of that properly then take a new picture thats in focus.

Maybe then its possible to see if something is broken off or not.

2 minutes ago, Lipe123 said:

What I do see is a ton of thermal paste all over and inbetween those components. Take a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol or whatever, windex if you must, and clean all of that properly then take a new picture thats in focus.

As far as i can see it there is a hole chip missing bro xDDD 20190801_232316.thumb.jpg.abbb191be3a8d42456c4bcad8a9f13d2.jpg.5089bef49d6a4dc2aa14fa09eab76ed4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lipe123 said:

this one more focused on the missing part

20190801_234244.jpg

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

As far as i can see it there is a hole chip missing bro xDDD 20190801_232316.thumb.jpg.abbb191be3a8d42456c4bcad8a9f13d2.jpg.5089bef49d6a4dc2aa14fa09eab76ed4.jpg

2080ti is always missing one pcs vram

That's a memory chip,  do you still  have it somewhere?  surely you didn't lose that?

EDIT: is there anyway to get a cleaner photo? the PCB looks very messy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

As far as i can see it there is a hole chip missing bro xDDD 

That's a GDDR6 module placeholder that's empty on all 2080 Ti's... only the RTX TITAN uses it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Luna said:

That's a GDDR6 module placeholder that's empty on all 2080 Ti's... only the RTX TITAN uses it.

Oh than i am stupid i just googled a image of it and there was no open place like this ^^ for me it looked like a ram chip came off sry 

If thats liquid metal between those surface mount components, there is a good chance you shorted them out.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

That's a memory chip,  do you still  have it somewhere?  surely you didn't loose that?

i got to tell you, i have absolutely no idea atm.

if, lets say if, i find this chip smaller than a toothpick-head, can i save the card?

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

If thats liquid metal between those surface mount components, there is a good chance you shorted them out.

if the liquid metal shorts it, is it suppose to go missing?

2 minutes ago, swordlife said:

i got to tell you, i have absolutely no idea atm.

if, lets say if, i find this chip smaller than a toothpick-head, can i save the card?

Oh I see now, you are talking about the SMD on the top left hand corner.  If so then you are fucked, if you can't find it then it's going to be hard to find the correct value to replace it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

no, it has likely come of when you removed the old heat sink.  Is it still stuck to the heat spreader?

6 minutes ago, swordlife said:

this one more focused on the missing part

20190801_234244.jpg

Are you talking about the two tiny dots above the "R" ? That does look like there might have been something but you should have known if you banged it and something broke off?

My money is still just on the excessive amount of junk between those little components.

You may have shorted out some of the SMD's. You also did not use nail polish to protect them at all.... Very bad idea.

Usually LM does not provide much benefit compared to good thermal paste on GPU's due to the cooler already having direct contact to the GPU die. The reason it helps so much on CPU's is because there is a IHS over the actual CPU silicon. Preventing your cooler from having direct contact on the CPU compared to direct contact on the GPU.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

If your application of liquid metal wasn't perfect there's indeed chances of short circuit and if that happened the GPU is dead.

There's an amazing guide here you can check about it:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/liquid-metal-explained-how-it-works-why-it-fails-and-how-to-use-it.809332/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, mr moose said:

no, it has likely come of when you removed the old heat sink.  Is it still stuck to the heat spreader?

what is this SMD short for? i have no idea where this small bee-leg size thing went to. Lemme search. i dont think its there tho.

345923235_nvidiagpu.jpg.fdbd3fe95b8bfd274d1cac63e2e96fca.jpg

Is that the bit you are talking about?

Just now, swordlife said:

what is this SMD short for? i have no idea where this small bee-leg size thing went to. Lemme search. i dont think its there tho.

Surface Mount Device,  very small components designed to be soldered to the surface of a PCB rather than have wires that go through the board.

Just now, swordlife said:

SMD= Surface Mounted Device 

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

345923235_nvidiagpu.jpg.fdbd3fe95b8bfd274d1cac63e2e96fca.jpg

Is that the bit you are talking about?

yes

20 minutes ago, swordlife said:

20190801_232119.thumb.jpg.a939e560d2f5c3da9b9229351b53d98d.jpgGuys, i think im in shit.

20190801_232316.jpg

20190801_232253.jpg

i would like i said just clean it as good as possible send it back and hope they replace it like others said u did not cover it with nailpolish etc so its very possible u killed stuff and u cant repair that ^^ 

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

If your application of liquid metal wasn't perfect there's indeed chances of short circuit and if that happened the GPU is dead.

There's an amazing guide here you can check about it:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/liquid-metal-explained-how-it-works-why-it-fails-and-how-to-use-it.809332/

i didnt know how to or hope recover, i just wanna know if there is chances, and where did that SMD went to if it was shortcircuited

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Surface Mount Device,  very small components designed to be soldered to the surface of a PCB rather than have wires that go through the board.

so theoraticaly i can go and find a broken 2080ti and rip the other SMD and slap it on mine?