Would I be able to buy an Old build from LTT?

Bleed

As the title says, I am interested to know what you guys do with your old builds - It is sacrilege to the church of gaben if you just let it gather dust :P  

They usually get torn down after the project is over and returned to inventory to be used in something else.

15 minutes ago, Bleed said:

As the title says, I am interested to know what you guys do with your old builds - It is sacrilege to the church of gaben if you just let it gather dust :P 

You wouldn't want it, it's probably been dropped multiple times ?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Things that cant be re-used gets tossed away. Like old PSUs. HDDs probably gets nailed and tossed away and SSDs get cleared or kept. 

Cases probably thrown away.

Anything they dont have or hardware like GPUs and CPUs and Ram probably is kept

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You wouldn't want it, it's probably been dropped multiple times ?

if it has not been dropped, you could ask linus to drop it before delivering it to you! even sign it or take a picture while it hits the ground!

they rarely keep things together, just look at the 7 gamers 1 pc, i think that not even the case exist anymore

but it would be nice to have them, for example that pc with the copper watercooling linus made in scrapyard wars years ago

My bet would be that once the glamour shots and benchmarks are done they tear it down and put it back into storage. As they talked about in older videos there is someone who takes all the information on who is using what hardware so there is always records of what is being used and such. This is common for any business with multiple products in usage or backlog. Since LinusTechTips is a business losing any of that hardware could been seen as a loss even if its "around" the building. If you cant find the product and use it its the same as being gone completely. As someone who also took inventory of large amounts of computer hardware every single stick of ram, every old processor even if they are no longer used is accounted for.

How far back do they retain inventory? Like they got some socket 478 stuff in the attic or what? I think they dug out some 775 for a video recently for Alex's PCI scope card. Seemed weird cause I know 1156 boards have PCI commonly and even some 1150 boards too. I think Linus was just trying to make it more embarrassing.

Most of the stuff is probably just a demo unit that the manufacturer or a local store has loaned them. The stuff that they are supplied by OEMs is likely kept for future videos. I really doubt they have as much 'inventory' as some think. Sure, it looks like a lot - but they have a lot checked out to make videos with. 

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

How far back do they retain inventory? Like they got some socket 478 stuff in the attic or what? I think they dug out some 775 for a video recently for Alex's PCI scope card. Seemed weird cause I know 1156 boards have PCI commonly and even some 1150 boards too. I think Linus was just trying to make it more embarrassing.

They have been buying lot of older hardware for different projects, so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did.

Now on the buying part of things. Like with anything, shipping it outside Canada is nope. Shipping it within Canada is doable, but would be costly. Then comes warranty. As many of their parts come directly from manufacturers, and for security reasons LMG wouldn't be able to release any invoices and such, you would be getting parts without any warranty. So LTX is pretty much only place where they would sell stuff, without warranty and shipping.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So like any used hardware lol. Waiting for a 286 hotrod build then.

Well if you do get your hands on a part, make a shrine lmao.

I think they have addressed this before. After doing a video the entire system gets torn down and the parts get packed back up and put back into their inventory. If you watch iJustines video she did a year or two ago you see a real good example of how much actual inventory they have in stock to do videos with. Its also very common for old gear to be needed for new content so I think they make a habit of not getting rid of anything they dont have to.

Even if they sold stuff, why would you want it from Linus? I mean, I can kind of understand something like a shirt that might have been autographed or something like that, but a whole build? Why?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈