Ubiquiti Unifi AC Wireless Enterprise Access Point

LinusTech

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://georiot.co/2QM6

The Ubiquiti Unifi is Wendell from Tek Syndicate's recommendation to me when I came to him complaining about my frustrating with consumer grade wireless solutions. It's expandable, reliable, and - considering its "enterprise grade" roots - amazingly easy to use.

I hate Wi-Fi as well Linus. I get 1/2 of my wired download speeds because of it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Save me from the poop too!

I could use an upgrade too. I'm still using the router that came with my Internet package...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Linus

the E1xxx and E2xxx Firmwares are the most stable firmwares EVER

anyways for people who want wireless N and a much better range for 79.99$ go with the ubiquiti UAF-LR

The UAP-LR has a larger range than the base model UAP with a range of up to 600 ft. It also offers 802.11n MIMO, with speeds of up to 300 Mbps.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I try to look on the bright side. My internet is slow enough that my $15 wireless ap / router is more than enough.  :D

I have a few of these (including this model and some of the cheaper ones) deployed around our house. I just can't stress enough how easy they are to manage compared to other multi-point access points.

The roaming between AP's is easy and you don't have to worry about a thing.

Here is a screenshot of the usage we have during a normal day:
4537ef1a92.png

For more Ubiquiti access points, you can check out http://varia-store.com/Wireless-Systems/UBIQUITI-UniFi:::636_655.html

I am soon also upgrading my core infrastructure to the Ubiquiti EdgeMAX and the ToughSwitch series. I will do a complete review of the Ubiquiti ecosystem when I had some time to play with those.

I try to look on the bright side. My internet is slow enough that my $15 wireless ap / router is more than enough.  :D

Wireless Poo Oh noooooooo

Wifi doesnt affect my speeds cause my speeds are shit already (AUSSIE LYFE)

Wireless is not just for your internet. With good WIFI you have a much better in-home experience, with for example file sharing and streaming.

Just heard about this a day before Linus, and taught about buying a couple of them for home and work. That was the plan. But last night i got a bit drunk and ordered 30 of the http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#apac while i was drunk. Now comment below your impressions on the stupid thing my fckin brain has done.

General Electric GE90-115B: i7 2600k @4.0Ghz + ID-Cooling Frostflow+ 120 / MSI Z77A-GD65 / 4x4G DDR3 1333Mhz / Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti + NZXT Kraken G12 + Corsair H75 / Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W / Kingston SV300 120G (boot) + Western Digital WDC10EFRX 1TB / Fractal Design Focus G / 3x Corsair AF140 + 1x Bitfenix Spectre Pro Black 140 mm

I work with Cisco Aironet 3600 Series AP's quite often sometimes with the AC module this is substantially cheaper and you don't need to buy a 350$ adapter to get AC or 2500$-16000$ wireless LAN controller. It would be really cool to see a comparison between the two even with the enormous price gap, might have to pick one up to try this. Does the web interface have the same robustness as a Cisco terminal? With VLANs, QoS, etc...

I work with Cisco Aironet 3600 Series AP's quite often sometimes with the AC module this is substantially cheaper and you don't need to buy a 350$ adapter to get AC or 2500$-16000$ wireless LAN controller. It would be really cool to see a comparison between the two even with the enormous price gap, might have to pick one up to try this. Does the web interface have the same robustness as a Cisco terminal? With VLANs, QoS, etc...

I dont think so, but i could be wrong. I shall now wait for mine to arrive in 3 days and then see.

General Electric GE90-115B: i7 2600k @4.0Ghz + ID-Cooling Frostflow+ 120 / MSI Z77A-GD65 / 4x4G DDR3 1333Mhz / Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti + NZXT Kraken G12 + Corsair H75 / Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W / Kingston SV300 120G (boot) + Western Digital WDC10EFRX 1TB / Fractal Design Focus G / 3x Corsair AF140 + 1x Bitfenix Spectre Pro Black 140 mm

Anything Logan says, I take with a grain of salt now after his " Gaming Audio Myths: Avoid the BS & Save your Audio Life"  video. But this was from Wendal, not Logan, so I guess it's okay unless he's proved otherwise. Logan made me lose all respect for him after bringing that "Audio guy" into that video.

I gave up on store bought routers, I've been using a Pentium4 based IPCop for several years when I was in Canada, and again after I moved to the states. Just before the new years I upgraded to a Pentium Dualcore based IPCop (I'd be on PFSense if they had an easier to setup and use bandwidth cap monitor). I live in a single story house and you think one AP would be fine... Ahhh nope.

Started out with that P4 based 1.4.21 IPCop + D-Link 16port 10/100 switch + linksys WAP54GX that had to be reset twice a day minimum. I swapped that out  for a D-Link DIR-615 in AP mode. That lasted about 7 months, I flashed it to run DD-wrt 2.4 but is was still struggling in a house of 5-6 people and only one of those (me) is a power user (and I'm wired, go figure.) When the D-Link started to become unstable I got me a pair of Tenda A30's that are still 802.11n 300Mbps roughly, for $30 for the pair on sale was not bad. I have it setup so that my wife, her dad, and I are on one, the kids in the house are on the other and it seems to work out well. The first one in at the end of the house our room is and the other sits in the living room, which is more center house. Round the time I upgraded to the PDC IPCop 2.0.6 setup we got a netgear 16port gigabit switch. I hope to on day move up to a pair of AC based AP's but only when cash is available. 

I still have to wonder though, why do wireless N AP's use 100Mbps port to the switch? Shouldn't it be gigabit to ensure 300Mbps is possible? *shrug* 

I hear ya Linus, wireless is the bane of anyone managing a network....But people want to be able to move about and none of the housemates want a wire attached to their laptops that wasn't there before......

IPCop + 16 port gigabit + 2x WirelessN300 AP's supplying (wired) 2 towers, PS2, Blu-ray player, laptop (mine) and wireless 2 xbox 360's, 2 PS3's, 3 Nintendo 3DS's, 2 towers, 3 laptops, 2 tablets, 2 ipod touches, 1 smartphone (with no current carrier) ..... I hate wireless

Pyriel: Proc: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz @1.22v w/ Corsair H100i ( 2x Corsair SP120 Performance Ed.) MB: MSI Z87-G45 Video: EVGA GTX 760 SC 4GB RamG.Skill RipjawsX 2x8 DDR3-2133 11-13-13-31 PSU: Corsair RM850 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe SSD: Plextor PX-256M5M HDD: WD 1TB Blue(app drive) + 1TB WD Green(storage drive) Optical: Liteon Bluray/DVDRW Input: Corsair Raptor K50 and Vengeance M95 (White)

My router has been going strong for more than 5 years. It's an AirPort Extreme and has been quite reliable and covers my whole house (not that big). Much better than d-link.

My router has been going strong for more than 5 years. It's an AirPort Extreme and has been quite reliable and covers my whole house (not that big). Much better than d-link.

Almost everything is better then D-Link...

I like how Linus just flip devices constanly. I noticed it with phones but seems he's just flipping everything all the time... I'm like that and it annoys the hell of everybody :D 

Yes, we complain about the wifi performance overall but sometimes it helps a lot. And if you want to have the best experience I guess there is not another option that to buy enterprise grade product. I think I will take a look at this product and maybe I will buy it and replace my current access point customer grade product that from time to time I have to turn it off and turn it back on so I can use it.

Question! What do you guys mean when you say multiple routers? Are you guys setting some as repeaters? Does that mean bandwidth is cut in half? Thanks

Question! What do you guys mean when you say multiple routers? Are you guys setting some as repeaters? Does that mean bandwidth is cut in half? Thanks

Not multiple routers, but multiple access points, your router is a separate unit. All your access points form 1 big WiFi network. A bit how the cellular system works, but on a much smaller scale.

Linus

the E1xxx and E2xxx Firmwares are the most stable firmwares EVER

anyways for people who want wireless N and a much better range for 79.99$ go with the ubiquiti UAF-LR

Seems cool.. however:

"speeds of up to 300 Mbps"

"Networking Interface (1) 10/100 Ethernet Port"

Reminds me of those wireless AC usb adapters

"Now you can have the world fastest wifi technology with our ultra fast adapters.. blazing fast speeds up to 867Mbps"

Then you notice they use usb 2.0 as the interface. What's the point of announcing 800+ Mbps speeds when the adapter will struggle to give you more than 300 on a good day?

Offtopic: First post :lol:

Seems cool.. however:

"speeds of up to 300 Mbps"

"Networking Interface (1) 10/100 Ethernet Port"

Reminds me of those wireless AC usb adapters

"Now you can have the world fastest wifi technology with our ultra fast adapters.. blazing fast speeds up to 867Mbps"

Then you notice they use usb 2.0 as the interface. What's the point of announcing 800+ Mbps speeds when the adapter will struggle to give you more than 300 on a good day?

Offtopic: First post :lol:

With an AP you can have wireless clients talking to eachother, you can use the full 300Mbps, but only 100Mbps to the wired network.

Huh, I think I've actually only gone through two Routers/etc. in the past six years

(first a Netgear FVS124G, which doesn't have WiFi anyway, and for about two years

now we've been using a Linksys E4200).

Our home is wired, so any heavy loads are going through Cat5e anyway. The WiFi is

really only used for browsing and such, so the access point doesn't have all

that much to do and has been functioning very reliably (plus the web interface is

pretty much Cisco, which is nice).

But yeah, something like this would be cool for having reception in the basement or

something similar, obviously the E4200 fails miserably at that. Overall though, I

use wired whenever I can.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic