Old CPU fan won't come off

AntonChigurh
Just now, AntonChigurh said:

Backplate? What's that? Sorry if I sound like an idiot here...

The cooler screws into a backplate behind the motherboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The cooler screws into a backplate behind the motherboard. 

2 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

There is a metal plate on the back of the motherboard with threaded holes for the cooler to screw into. Take off the back side panel and try holding the backplate against the motherboard while you screw it in

I can't take off my back side panel. I am using a silverstone GD01 case, which is meant to be laid down lengthwise. No way to see the back of the mobo short of removing it.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I can't take off my back side panel. I am using a silverstone GD01 case, which is meant to be laid down lengthwise. No way to see the back of the mobo short of removing it.

You'll have to remove the motherboard then. The backplate is needed to install the cooler and it helps to have a hand hold it in place when screwing it in. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That complicates things. Unfortunately you are going to have to remove the motherboard, install the cooler, and reinstall the motherboard if that's what it is.

4 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

That complicates things. Unfortunately you are going to have to remove the motherboard, install the cooler, and reinstall the motherboard if that's what it is.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You'll have to remove the motherboard then. The backplate is needed to install the cooler and it helps to have a hand hold it in place when screwing it in. 

At this point I am throwing in the towel. I've nearly broke the fan, i've made a mess of the thermal paste, and i have wasted 2 hours of my life. Just gonna take it into my local pc shop soon and have them do the dirty work.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

11 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

At this point I am throwing in the towel. I've nearly broke the fan, i've made a mess of the thermal paste, and i have wasted 2 hours of my life. Just gonna take it into my local pc shop soon and have them do the dirty work.

But you almost have it! It's good that you're doing this - you're learning to be comfortable with your components. I mean, depending how spread out the paste is, you'll probably be fine just installing it as it is (temporarily).

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

26 minutes ago, toobladink said:

depending how spread out the paste is, you'll probably be fine just installing it as it is (temporarily).

NO! I have run systems with the cooler just sitting on the CPU for way longer than I should have with no temp problems, but DO NOT RUN IT WITH A LOOSE BACKPLATE BEHIND THE BOARD. If that backplate touches something on the back of the board and shorts it out... Well, a bunch of hardware may be going to silicon heaven many years early.

Edited by lexidobe
Spelling error

41 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

NO! I have run systems with the cooler just sitting on the CPU for way longer than I should have with no temp problems, but DO NOT RUN IT WITH A LOOSE BACKPLATE BEHIND THE BOARD. If that backplate touches something on the back of the board and shorts it out... Well, a bunch of hardware may be going to silicon heaven many years early.

I'm literally just referring to spread out paste - can't the OP install the cooler and not have any issues?

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

1 minute ago, toobladink said:

I'm literally just referring to spread out paste - can't the OP install the cooler and not have any issues?

Not necessarily. The spread out paste isn't a problem, the problem is that the backplate (the metal plate on the back of the board with the threaded holes that the cooler screws to) fell behind the board, so the screw holes aren't accessible. The loose backplate could short something out if it touches the back of the motherboard.