Old CPU fan won't come off

AntonChigurh

So I bought a new ryzen 2600X, and i'm currently trying to install it. However, my old CPU heatsink and fan won't come off. I unscrewed the fan screws, wont come off. I even tried stress testing to heat up the thermal paste but no dice. Help anyone?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Couple pics of the inside of my case, if they help

20190724_192242.jpg

20190724_192236.jpg

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

try putting a qtip worth of isopropyl alchohol into the corners of the coolplate and CPU,  it should wick into the gap.

Worked for my old 990x.

If you are sure that it's the thermal paste holding it on, I do this: Start a stress test, unplug the CPU fan, heat it up good, shut the system down, then twist the heatsink back and forth while it's still hot to try to break it loose. Always worked for me!

Have you tried twisting the cooler back and forth a bit first?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried twisting the cooler back and forth a bit first?

Moved to Air Cooling.

Yes, I did. No dice. Didnt wanna twist it too far and eff my processor and mobo

4 minutes ago, Arisaka said:

try putting a qtip worth of isopropyl alchohol into the corners of the coolplate and CPU,  it should wick into the gap.

Worked for my old 990x.

Can't, my heatsink sits too low. I cant even fit a qtip in there

3 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

If you are sure that it's the thermal paste holding it on, I do this: Start a stress test, unplug the CPU fan, heat it up good, shut the system down, then twist the heatsink back and forth while it's still hot to try to break it loose. Always worked for me!

Already tried that unfortunately

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, AntonChigurh said:

meh, I was worried about that w/ your pic.

Do you know what product you used on it?  Maybe they have info on it removal?

1 minute ago, AntonChigurh said:

What kind of thermal paste did you use? Are you sure you didn't accidentally use thermal glue? I've seen that before

3 minutes ago, Arisaka said:

meh, I was worried about that w/ your pic.

Do you know what product you used on it?  Maybe they have info on it removal?

2 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

What kind of thermal paste did you use? Are you sure you didn't accidentally use thermal glue? I've seen that before

That's the thing, I don't recall what kind I used, if i used any at all. I think I just slapped the fan and cpu into it straight out of the box. I haven't touched the CPU/heatsink assembly except for dustbusting since I got it a year ago

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Maybe heating it, then using a long, thin metal shim to break the suction.  Be sure to shut it down if it works.

That's the thing, I don't recall what kind I used, if i used any at all. I think I just slapped the fan and cpu into it straight out of the box. I haven't touched the CPU/heatsink assembly except for dustbusting since I got it a year ago

It's probably the stock thermal paste that comes on the heatsink then. When you twist it does it feel completely solid, or can you it twist it a little?

1 minute ago, lexidobe said:

It's probably the stock thermal paste that comes on the heatsink then. When you twist it does it feel completely solid, or can you it twist it a little?

It feels completely solid

1 minute ago, Arisaka said:

Maybe heating it, then using a long, thin metal shim to break the suction.  Be sure to shut it down if it works.

I tried doing that with a tiny flathead screwdriver but i have yet to find anything that can get under. The heatsink and fan sit super low on the mobo.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Also, be very careful with pulling up on the heatsink. Don't pull up on it too hard because you could rip the CPU out of the socket and bend the pins.

I tried doing that with a tiny flathead screwdriver but i have yet to find anything that can get under. The heatsink and fan sit super low on the mobo.

I think you're gonna need to take the mobo out of the case to get a good line to the gap ?

It feels completely solid

It's probably not held on by suction then. How hard did you try twisting it? They can get pretty stuck and require a little force sometimes.

Never mind everyone, got the heatsink off! Just took a little more pulling than i thought. Thanks for the help though!

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

ARGH mevermind more issues. Trying to install my wraith spire cooler and i cannot get the screw to go down. What is with these? They are horribly designed.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Someone just shoot me, all i am doing is dragging thermal paste around on my cpu

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Bought a new ryzen 2600X, currently trying to install the wraith spire cooler. Cannot get the screws down for the life of me. I am literally pulling my hair out over thism they refuse to budge an inch, no matter how lightly or hard i screw on them. The only thing i have succeeded in doing is break off the decorative plastic top of the cooler. Somebody please help before i jump into oncoming traffic.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

26 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

ARGH mevermind more issues. Trying to install my wraith spire cooler and i cannot get the screw to go down. What is with these? They are horribly designed.

Make sure to only slightly screw in one side before doing the others in an X-pattern and to tighten it gradually instead of one side before another. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure to only slightly screw in one side before doing the others in an X-pattern and to tighten it gradually instead of one side before another. 

That's what i've been doing. Not even one screw will go down slightly. This is easily the worst designed cooler i've ever had the displeasure of installing.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Tried wating a video youtube?

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

8 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

That's what i've been doing. Not even one screw will go down slightly. This is easily the worst designed cooler i've ever had the displeasure of installing.

Are you sure that the backplate is pushed all the way up through the motherboard holes?

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure that the backplate is pushed all the way up through the motherboard 

Lemme see

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Backplate? What's that? Sorry if I sound like an idiot here...

There is a metal plate on the back of the motherboard with threaded holes for the cooler to screw into. Take off the back side panel and try holding the backplate against the motherboard while you screw it in