Wii U - The only game console anyone at Linus Media Group actually bought...

LinusTech

The Wonderful 101, Project X?

Try some research

Wonderful 101 is developed by Platinum games, which also made Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Bayonetta etc. I can't find any news that they are a Nintendo exclusive developer, they've expressed a wish to be a second party developer for Nintendo. But the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are being published by Nintendo, so I guess that's a thing.

Project X is a first party title, I'll give you that, frankly I'd forgotten it even existed. Still it's not that long ago that Nintendo bought Monolith Soft.. Actually never mind it's been 7 years.

I keep forgetting that there are actually other developers making games for the Wii U because I hardly ever hear about them and everyone keeps talking about how great the Nintendo first party stuff is. But in all honesty I was thinking mostly of the first party titles since there seems to be a boatload more of those than anything else, at least on the exclusives side of things.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Ocarina of time > Wind Waker > Twilight Princess > Skyward Sword

Mario 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy

Lets see different graphical style CHECK

Different story CHECK

Different gameplay mechanics CHECK

and last but not least different controls and gameplay CHECK

This whole rehash thing and new IP thing is not justified in my opinion. Think about it any of the zelda and mario games could have been their own new franchises since the only common elements is the story and character. Each games tends to have a unique mechanic and innovates on some level. Sticking with a familiar name and franchise ultimately increase awareness and sales some. Things like Mario 128 demo being worked into Pikmin and several controls schemes from Wii Sports Resort were done in Skyward Sword.

The point is that the faces may be similar but the gameplay between releases is very different and that is what actually matters.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Different story CHECK

This whole rehash thing and new IP thing is not justified in my opinion. Think about it any of the zelda and mario games could have been their own new franchises since the only common elements is the story and character. Each games tends to have a unique mechanic and innovates on some level. Sticking with a familiar name and franchise ultimately increase awareness and sales some. Things like Mario 128 demo being worked into Pikmin and several controls schemes from Wii Sports Resort were done in Skyward Sword.

The point is that the faces may be similar but the gameplay between releases is very different and that is what actually matters.

Well, it's still too close for my tastes, it's like baking a rollcake with different kinds of fill in it, it's still the same cake just tastes a bit different. They might all be delicious but some people can't have eggs.(I guess that's a thing people are allergic to?)

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

I don't really see why people like the WiiU, disregarding that there aren't very many games out at the moment, the games that are out are just rehashes of old stuff. I don't know, maybe I just expect at least a certain level of originality in my games. Or maybe it's just that I had a Commodore 64, PC and a Sega16bit when I was growing up. In any case, I don't get why people rag on other game developers that milk their franchises when Nintendo has been the king of franchise milk for nearly 3 decades. Just goes to show that people don't really want originality, they just want tomorrow to be pretty much the same as today.

The reason why people have a go at Activation, for example, and not Nintendo is because of a simple formula. Things get boring when they are regular and lack novelty. Nintendo's franchises for the most part are neither.

For a start Nintendo haven't annualised most of their games and don't milk their franchises anywhere near as much as the worst offenders. People are waiting for Smash Bros and Mario Kart not just because it's a new one and they must have it. They want it because Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl came out in 2008, it has been a good six years between drinks. People are hanging out for the next Metriod Prime partly because some people are crazy about Metriod but also because the last one came out in 2007. Pikmin 3 is the prime example because it is the first Pikmin game since 2004. Between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 3 CoD went from not existing to having ten "main series" games and Guitar Hero went from nothing to being burnt out before a third entry was even on the cards.

Then there's novelty. Taking even the most milked Nintendo Franchise like Mario Kart you can still list something novel about most of the versions. Mario Kart 64 was obviously the first one in 3D and it had four player multiplayer, Mario Kart DS was the first one with an online mode, Mario Kart Wii pushed online mode further upping it to 12 players and Mario Kart 7 added aerial and underwater sections. Mario Kart 8 is interesting because it has anti-gravity sections and it's the first one in HD. Compare that to what was added to the last CoD, that's why people don't complain about Nintendo.

Plus the fact that their newest version of the games people complain about Nintendo milking are usually fantastic. Zelda for example you get basically one new one per console and it's going to be getting a Metacritic score above 90% more often than not. Even when a Zelda game doesn't get above 90% people still think of it highly enough to give it Game of the Year. Assassin's Creed by comparison, which is IMO one the best non-Nintendo franchises, hovers around the 80s. Clearly there's something in that other than some sort of mass hallucination amongst Nintendo fans. That doesn't happen unless the games are actually pretty good. Something that's further supported by the fact that the cries from armchair analysts and doom-sayers is not that Nintendo should fold and become a card manufacturer again. Their thought is that they have to put their games on other consoles or PC. If their games are being milked to oblivion why do people who aren't at all interested in their console want them on their platform or choise?

for the tl;dr

just... no

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

is it just my computer, or is there an ad at the bottom of this page?

anyway, slick, keep doing these kind of videos.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

I don't knock the Wii-U, its a nice system, not talking about Performance, just in general.

The only way I would buy the Wii-U, is probably if my son wanted it. Because im not interested in the Nintendo Exclusive Games. I do like the exclusive games for other consoles though, just not the Wii-U, so I have no reason to buy it.    

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

I really like the style of this video. Slick should do more of them, but only of the stuff he is genuinely interested in.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

High five Slick, I grew up on Nintendo too.  Though I have to be a bit of a purist, the original Mario Party(and maybe up to 4 or something) ftw.  I do still like Nintendo, probably mostly for the nostalgia...but I don't see myself buying a console for some time.  I got a Wii around launch, and didn't play it much.  I'm still happy I got it, especially that I got Okami because that game was amazing, it could have easily been split into 2 games.

We have a PS3 as well as Wii U (along with a Wii and old xbox 360) and I find the kids play the Wii U more - a lot more. 

Personally, as someone who's really only every been into PC's and not consoles in the past, I also find myself more drawn to the Gamepad as it feels more natural to me - almost like a tablet.   Being able to switch between playing a Nintendo game and watching Netflix or streaming movies, is a pretty cool ability to have in your hands when others are occupying the tv.

The main drawback is having your online account tied to the console and not being portable. I truly hope they rectify that some day.

The reason why people have a go at Activation, for example, and not Nintendo is because of a simple formula. Things get boring when they are regular and lack novelty. Nintendo's franchises for the most part are neither.

For a start Nintendo haven't annualised most of their games and don't milk their franchises anywhere near as much as the worst offenders. People are waiting for Smash Bros and Mario Kart not just because it's a new one and they must have it. They want it because Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl came out in 2008, it has been a good six years between drinks. People are hanging out for the next Metriod Prime partly because some people are crazy about Metriod but also because the last one came out in 2007. Pikmin 3 is the prime example because it is the first Pikmin game since 2004. Between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 3 CoD went from not existing to having ten "main series" games and Guitar Hero went from nothing to being burnt out before a third entry was even on the cards.

Then there's novelty. Taking even the most milked Nintendo Franchise like Mario Kart you can still list something novel about most of the versions. Mario Kart 64 was obviously the first one in 3D and it had four player multiplayer, Mario Kart DS was the first one with an online mode, Mario Kart Wii pushed online mode further upping it to 12 players and Mario Kart 7 added aerial and underwater sections. Mario Kart 8 is interesting because it has anti-gravity sections and it's the first one in HD. Compare that to what was added to the last CoD, that's why people don't complain about Nintendo.

Plus the fact that their newest version of the games people complain about Nintendo milking are usually fantastic. Zelda for example you get basically one new one per console and it's going to be getting a Metacritic score above 90% more often than not. Even when a Zelda game doesn't get above 90% people still think of it highly enough to give it Game of the Year. Assassin's Creed by comparison, which is IMO one the best non-Nintendo franchises, hovers around the 80s. Clearly there's something in that other than some sort of mass hallucination amongst Nintendo fans. That doesn't happen unless the games are actually pretty good. Something that's further supported by the fact that the cries from armchair analysts and doom-sayers is not that Nintendo should fold and become a card manufacturer again. Their thought is that they have to put their games on other consoles or PC. If their games are being milked to oblivion why do people who aren't at all interested in their console want them on their platform or choise?

for the tl;dr

just... no

Well, it's whatever, I don't think Nintendo games are all they're cracked up to be other people love them. I think the new games are very samey, other people don't. It's all subjective.

If you've never played the games then you cannot judge them for being "samey". The difference between Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword is HUGE. So much new stuff is added and they play completely differently (Wind Waker = Classic Buttons, Twilight Princes = Motion and buttons and Skyward Sword used Motion to the max giving you full control over the sword and several other weapons using just motion.) Just actually play the games you may actually enjoy them.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I feel people are hating on Nintendo because of the fact that they keep on throwing out the same game on every console. The same Mario game or the same Zelda game.

What people don't understand is that those games AT LEAST try to be a bit more innovative then (Lets say: Call of Duty) and try out new things. I've play'n 3-4 CoD games and they are all the same! Nintendo tries to mix things up in each new game.

Different story CHECK

Like Puddleuk said, each game is innovative in it's own way. Not a rehash of an old game. 

I personally love Nintendo, and still play my SNES on a daily basis, and I hope Nintendo does succeed. I would definitely purchase a Wii U if the price drops to 200-250.

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... Yeah

-The Doctor

Slick you should try monster hunter, it as some sort of cross compatibility with the 3DS and it's a really great game available on both platforms

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Did LMG not buy a PS4 for the graphics comparison?

Nop, twitch gave them one if they made a video about streaming to twitch.

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I think the fact the 3ds uses arm processors is why it is difficult to integrate with the Wii U.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Seriously considering getting one myself if only for smash 4 and mario cart.

Rayman Legends is best on the Wii U.  The Wii U also offers different type of game play than the PS4 and Xbox One.  The Wii U also has exclusives that are not going to be on PS4 or Xbox One ever!  If you want a game that is a little more adult oriented go for Lego City Undercover.  Yes .. seriously ... a Lego game for adults.  It is a mash of Bruce Willis/GTA/comedy.  Awesome game and if it was on a system that did well it would have gotten more respect and been up for a GOTY nomination.

Wii U is about getting people to play together in the same room instead of people playing vs each other on things like Xbox Live where utter chaos goes on.  Sorry but Nintendo doesn't want a disgusting, disrespectful community like MS has for it's systems.

If you are a gamer there is always room for any system that offers something that is a good gaming experience and the Wii U offers that.

Also for the record ....

The tablet like controller is a plus and not a negative.  It is easy to use and it is much nicer to be touching a screen to look at one's inventory than doing it the way people have done for years.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

• 4 months later...

But Luke there are some games that allow you to play between the Wii U and the 3DS; monster hunter 3U is the perfect example

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Me and my son, have racked up more gameplay hours together on the Wii U than any other game I've played this year. 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

But Luke there are some games that allow you to play between the Wii U and the 3DS; monster hunter 3U is the perfect example

Dude this video is 6 months old by now. Much has changed...:P

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Dude this video is 6 months old by now. Much has changed...:P

I know but that feature was already available since it's launch day