My 5 year old, high end-ish rig is still quite relevant today. WTH, manufacturers ?!?

Dr. FunFrock
4 hours ago, hojnikb said:

To be fair, a cost "effective" way of gaming is really not using PC at all. Consoles as a whole are really cheap (can't really get a decent PC for that kind of money), adequate for most people and as an added bonus, you can grab used games for cheap. And because hardware is a constant for the duration of the generation (which is usually 6-7 years) you really don't have to upgrade anything within this time frame.

The only real downside is paid online play, but that kinda pays itself with "free" games.

When marketing got you like 

16 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Not quite, see e.g. PS4 vs PS4 Pro.

I see your point. BUT since it's a mid generation update and not a whole new console, each and very title produced for will work on both consoles, just with a different resolution.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

14 hours ago, Deadsies said:

When marketing got you like 

Not really. A typical PS4 is like 200$ new (can't get a usable gaming pc for that kind of money), games can be had for cheap on the second hand market, it's really the cheapest way to go about, especially if you don't play online. Paying online is a strike against consoles (but if you shop around, you can get yearly subscription for like 40$) so are framerates, if you like the butter smooth 60fps+

And not to speak out of my a**, i had both. Had a PS4 for ~2 years (bought one used) with a collection of games. After i got bored with gaming, i sold ps4 at cost (so no money lost on hardware) and games that i bought cheaply online were also sold second hand with minimal loss. All in, i was in it for a about ~120$ including online subscriptions. Thats about 60$ a year.

It have to have my current build for like ~15 years to pay itself compared to consoles (thats not including games etc..)

14 minutes ago, hojnikb said:

Not really. A typical PS4 is like 200$ new (can't get a usable gaming pc for that kind of money), games can be had for cheap on the second hand market, it's really the cheapest way to go about, especially if you don't play online. Paying online is a strike against consoles (but if you shop around, you can get yearly subscription for like 40$) so are framerates, if you like the butter smooth 60fps+

And not to speak out of my a**, i had both. Had a PS4 for ~2 years (bought one used) with a collection of games. After i got bored with gaming, i sold ps4 at cost (so no money lost on hardware) and games that i bought cheaply online were also sold second hand with minimal loss. All in, i was in it for a about ~120$ including online subscriptions. Thats about 60$ a year.

It have to have my current build for like ~15 years to pay itself compared to consoles (thats not including games etc..)

I can get a gaming capable PC for about that ($250).

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

I can get a gaming capable PC for about that ($250).

Capable maybe, but its not really a great experience. And it wont last you a whole generation, like a console can.

1 hour ago, hojnikb said:

Capable maybe, but its not really a great experience. And it wont last you a whole generation, like a console can.

if you only have 250$ you should buy used

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My 10 year old workstation still hammers along nicely. Dual Xeon X5570, GTX650, 16GB Hyper-x memory, 240GB WD green boot SSD, 240GB TCSUNBOW cheap ass SSD for game data and anything I can replace and a Samsung 1TB mechanical HDD.

Monitor is a now decade old Acer v243H with a Goodmans 1080i 24 inch TV as a second display.

Apart from having a power supply sitting on top as the original one has faulty capacitors it's a great machine.

Lol, I was thinking of maybe upgrading my 5820K to some higher version of Haswell-E or Broadwell-E. These are so old, they shouldn't cost a fortune right? WRONG!

Core i7 6900K is 1050€ and 6950X is 1600€. LMAO XD That's 8c/16t and 10c/20t parts. Absolutely insane lol. If it was priced about the same as modern Ryzen counterparts, I'd maybe even go with it despite older architecture. But at 1050€ for 6900K I can replace WHOLE platform and go with Ryzen 3900X lol. It just doesn't compute and I don't know how these stores are planning on selling these old parts at such insane prices...

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, I was thinking of maybe upgrading my 5820K to some higher version of Haswell-E or Broadwell-E. These are so old, they shouldn't cost a fortune right? WRONG!

Core i7 6900K is 1050€ and 6950X is 1600€. LMAO XD That's 8c/16t and 10c/20t parts. Absolutely insane lol. If it was priced about the same as modern Ryzen counterparts, I'd maybe even go with it despite older architecture. But at 1050€ for 6900K I can replace WHOLE platform and go with Ryzen 3900X lol. It just doesn't compute and I don't know how these stores are planning on selling these old parts at such insane prices...

A local shop is trying to sell an old PCMCIA TV tuner for its original price of $189 AUD...and the box has water damage+is badly faded ?
They won't sell it for less as it'd apparently hurt the store, even though its been on the same shelf since I first walked in over 10 years ago.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 7/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, Sauron said:

if you only have 250$ you should buy used

same applies to consoles, then barrier for entry is even lower. Also, buying used pc hardware can be a hit or miss, depending on buyers knowledge.  You can quickly burn yourself with a poor PSU or dying motherboard.

11 minutes ago, hojnikb said:

same applies to consoles, then barrier for entry is even lower.

I'm not arguing for or against consoles, I'm simply stating that if your budget is that low you shouldn't go for new parts.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*