Router in "bridge mode".

Hawick

I can set my router to bridge mode. Is there any security risks by doing so? Any other drawbacks?

Generally there isn't a real drawback to that as long as the device that it's handing off to has decent performance/hardware. We use bridge mode in retail to hand off our routing function from the p.o.s modems that our ISP gives us to our nice Cisco Meraki firewall/routers.

It's a bit more complex than this, but setting a secondary router to bridge mode functionally turns it into a DHCP server. Firewall and traffic control should still happen on the router closest to the external line.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Bridge mode is used if you dont want your router doing any routing. You would most likely use it if you had your own router after the ISP router. Unless you have another router you want to use there is no reason to switch your router into bridge mode

Just now, Mbowen said:

Generally there isn't a real drawback to that as long as the device that it's handing off to has decent performance/hardware. We use bridge mode in retail to hand off our routing function from the p.o.s modems that our ISP gives us to our nice Cisco Meraki firewall/routers.

But I think bridge mode opens all ports so it's less secure I guess..?

Just now, Hawick said:

What? No, not at all. All it does is make the device hand off all it's functions to another router. Usually you see this with router/modem combos where you need to have the modem do de-modulate the signal to a usable ethernet signal for the real router you want to use. That router should still have the same, if not better, than the stock-ish router/modem you were putting in bridge mode. 

21 minutes ago, Hawick said:

Yes and no. Its not the right question - bridge mode is like you don't want to use router at all - in simplified terms. It's using when you want to pass the signal through your router without any change and it's used when you want to use different router to made internal network (so your bridged your first router that now only "decode" internet signal and that's all - to connect computers you need separate device - second router). Do you have second router? No? Then do not change router mode to "bridge".

As others have mentioned, putting a router into "Bridge Mode" will disable NAT (Network Address Translation), and typically any other routing functions (Often including DHCP).

It basically turns the router into a Switch with a built-in Wireless Access Point.

You typically use bridge mode on a router when you just need to extend WIFI coverage, or you need more LAN ports and don't want to buy a switch because you've got a spare router on hand.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

48 minutes ago, Hawick said:

No, the slave router cannot open the already closed ports by the main router.

So you should run security on the main and it would be just fine.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As others have mentioned, putting a router into "Bridge Mode" will disable NAT (Network Address Translation), and typically any other routing functions (Often including DHCP).

It basically turns the router into a Switch with a built-in Wireless Access Point.

You typically use bridge mode on a router when you just need to extend WIFI coverage, or you need more LAN ports and don't want to buy a switch because you've got a spare router on hand.

My WIFI does not work when I switch to bridge mode, any ideas? Only ethernet works.

1 minute ago, Hawick said:

My WIFI does not work when I switch to bridge mode, any ideas? Only ethernet works.

My first question would be to ask you to list all of your network equipment, what mode each is in (if there are multiple modes), and how they are connected to each other.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

My first question would be to ask you to list all of your network equipment, what mode each is in (if there are multiple modes), and how they are connected to each other.

I only have a router