Do I need a modem for fiber?

Go to solution Solved by APasz,

You will need a modem whatever you do.

I have xfinity fiber coming into my home and we have their provided modem router combo box. The fiber line plugs right into the back of the modem.

Do I have to use their modem or could I just get a fiber to ethernet converter?

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

-アパゾ

2 minutes ago, APasz said:

Are you sure? Because while looking up information I’ve gotten conflicting views on that.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

A modem is a bridge/firewall between your LAN and the ISP's network. You need it to convert the signal on the fibre optic to something you can actually use as a consumer.

May I ask as to why you think you want to skip on the modem?

-アパゾ

Do you have their 2Gbit plan or a different plan?

What do you have/did they provide currently?

If you have their 2Gbit plan then, from light reading, so long as you have a 10Gbit MMF SFP and a capable machine, you should be able to use your own equipment after the handoff:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-speeds-over-1-gbps

Edit:

To clarify, if you're not getting the 2Gbps plan then it's likely you're on coax. I couldn't find anything from xFinity that showed actual fiber coming in for anything less and the gigabit plans and below are over coax.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Thermite said:

I have xfinity fiber coming into my home and we have their provided modem router combo box. The fiber line plugs right into the back of the modem.

Do I have to use their modem or could I just get a fiber to ethernet converter?

You need the ISP supplied equipment. Its used to authorize you on to the network if you have Fiber. 

That being said, are you sure you have Fiber? Because Gigabit Pro is not cheap and that is the only Fiber product they offer. As far as Gigabit pro is concerned Ive read that the Media Converter has a 1 Gbps Ethernet and a 10 Gbps SFP port. If your taking about Gigabit offers thru Coax, then all you need is a Docsis 3.1 modem and those can be bought and used on the Xfinity network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.