how can i change from intel to the upcoming amd zen2 without reinstalling windows?

jmk890

please bear with me as i am somewhat new to pcs. i currently have an intel system. I want to upgrade to one of the new ryzen cpus that will be released. i am wondering if there is a way i could change to an am4 motherboard and ryzen cpu without reinstalling windows or losing my data. i have read some things about deleting old drivers and things like that. I was hoping someone could give me some specifics and advice on how i could transfer from intel to amd as smooth as possible.

3 minutes ago, jmk890 said:

or losing my data

Copy your data to a USB-stick or USB-drive.

4 minutes ago, jmk890 said:

as smooth as possible

Reinstalling Windows is the smoothest solution.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In some cases just plugging the harddrives out of your old PC and hooking them up to the new one just works, but this usually makes things buggy and unpredictable since drivers and such are getting confused.

There are ways of copying your OS, there are ways to "cheat" your way there, but in the end it's *always* best to just reinstall windows and saving your personal data on a USB or external harddrive. It's also a great way to rid yourself off of junk on your build, just wipe the system. 

Though when reinstalling windows you can choose to keep personal files, and that's always great.

Here's a useful tip! Re-installing windows can be expensive since you have to buy an activation key (about $100 if bought from Microsoft). There is one way to avoid this though: Deactivate your windows in settings and get the activation code. You will then be able to activate windows on the new motherboard. This should save you a lot of money. Enjoy zen2!

You need to clean install windows.

30 minutes ago, KeefsBuild said:

Here's a useful tip! Re-installing windows can be expensive since you have to buy an activation key (about $100 if bought from Microsoft). There is one way to avoid this though: Deactivate your windows in settings and get the activation code. You will then be able to activate windows on the new motherboard. This should save you a lot of money. Enjoy zen2!

Uh, no, reinstalling windows is free. You don't even need to activate it if you don't want to.

You also don't need any activation code, this is how you reactivate windows on a new system/motherboard:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

All you need is to make an account and link it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, jmk890 said:

please bear with me as i am somewhat new to pcs. i currently have an intel system. I want to upgrade to one of the new ryzen cpus that will be released. i am wondering if there is a way i could change to an am4 motherboard and ryzen cpu without reinstalling windows or losing my data. i have read some things about deleting old drivers and things like that. I was hoping someone could give me some specifics and advice on how i could transfer from intel to amd as smooth as possible.

there are ways, and there are programs, but like the others suggested it is best to re-install windows on the new system.

If you insist on going down this path, then follow the following steps roughly.

1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (or similar program)

2. Turn off your ethernet to cripple windows downloading new drivers.

3. Boot to save mode.

4. In save mode, go to the system manager, and select devices.

5. In the devices list, remove everything.

6. When the list is cleared, run display driver uninstaller (just to make sure those drivers are gone).

7. Remove the drive from the system and place it in the new system.

8. Boot the new system

It is not a guarantee that this will work flawlessly, but this to me is the only way i think it can actually work.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 hour ago, jmk890 said:

Just plug your drive and boot. Windows install missing drivers at first boot.

And you can find hundreds of posts on this forum with the same question.

Before you move your harddrive etc. over to the new build:

1. Make sure your user account has a password set. Add one if necessary.

2. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep. Run the SysPrep application.

3. Under system cleanup action, select "enter system out-of-box-experience (OOBE)". Check generalize. Under shutdown options, select shutdown.

4. Click Ok.

Move over the harddrive etc. to your new build:

1. The system will boot into OOBE mode. Follow all the usual steps about creating a user account. Make sure it's a new name and has a password.

2. Reboot the system.

3. Log on using your regular user account. Remove the account you just created. Remove the password from your account if needed.

4. Attach all USB hardware you wish to use in the future (printers, controllers, WLAN adapters etc.)

5. Open a command prompt as administrator and enter the "rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN" (minus the quotes) and press Enter