Department of Justice announces new gag-order deal with Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple

AlexGoesHigh

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5351544/facebook-microsoft-and-apple-announce-deal-to-share-more-information

The Department of Justice has announced a new deal with major tech companies that would allow unprecedented levels of disclosure about government data requests. Among other breakthroughs, the deal would allow each company to publicly announce the number of FISA requests and national security letters it has received in a given year, as well as the total number of users affected. Both numbers will still have to be reported in bands of 250 or 1000. The new order also institutes a two-year buffer for any new company receiving FISA orders or existing companies receiving a new kind of order, which would give law enforcement a crucial window in which agencies can employ new capabilities before they are revealed to the public.

"THE PUBLIC INTEREST... NOW OUTWEIGHS THE NATIONAL SECURITY CONCERNS."

The order was announced by Attorney General Eric Holder, who described it as a clear result of President Obama's plans for NSA reform, which were announced last week and included plans for broader declassification reviews. Holder said that after examining the issue, his office determined that "the public interest in disclosing this information now outweighs the national security concerns that required its classification." The order also comes after numerous court challenges by Google, Apple, and other companies implicated in NSA data collection programs. It remains unclear whether today's order will be enough to satisfy the companies, but the new measures offer significantly more than previous proposals.

its a start also for the americans in the forum what are you opinions about it

lol 404 post :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5351544/facebook-microsoft-and-apple-announce-deal-to-share-more-information

its a start also for the americans in the forum what are you opinions about it

lol 404 post :P

404 Error: Justice not found. lol

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

404 Error: (Still) No Terrorist Found

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Like you said it's a start... It's definitely not anywhere close to what it needs to be, but I'm glad to finally see at least something that's not just Terrorists are bad so you should let us (pardon my french) ass rape you to death to protect you.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

as "W" would say: "let me in your shit, cuz there are terrorizers who hate us!"

With today's technology I often wonder why we don't have colonies on the moon or Mars. Then I go to Wal Mart for 5 minutes and realize the vast majority of the human populace isn't ready for such things.

Change takes time. Unleashing lots of information all at once would make it difficult for the public to focus on any one piece of it, though doubtless it would be good for sensationalist media groups who could capitalize on the situation.

It's great to see some measure of disclosure occurring.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking