can't see the wood for the trees

rissdridin

Hello fellow tech enthusiasts,

Last year I built this custom PC case at my parents house for my dad to store all his maps and data for our forestry family business (and also so I have a rig to play games on when I'm at home)

I'm a student at u university, studying to be a English and it teacher in Germany. Due to my very limited income I was never able to build a awesome computer for myself, but I had the brilliant idea to talk my parents into needing one for "their maps and picture edeting ".

For years I had the dream to create a custom case made out of wood. I was never sure how to do it properly, and also how to find a designer that looked elegant, was 'pactical' and nobody had done before.

The designer I choose now, I am very happy with, and for the first PC I build, I think it is awsome. 

I wanted to recreate the look of stacked wood, the tape you would find at any home with a fireplace.

The wax I achieved this was by making a frame out of 4 pliewood pieces on the top, bottom, and sides, and fine 2 metal fence squares in the front and back. The bottom wood piece has a big hole in it where I mounted one singular 250mm case fan.

On the sides I prepared bolts and spacers to mount the motherboard, before I screwed the wooden cut pieces to the side  all the way around. The front metal mesh, I spray painted white, and cut sections of of cut wood and screed them to the mesh to make it look like the wood was stacked everywhere.

The mesh can be screwed on and off with 4 screws. The back mash has no wood.

The anterior of the case is as small as I could find parts for it.

32cm of space in all directions has to be enough to install a motherboard, 16gb of ram, an i7 8700k with the biggest bequiet cooler I could find, 5tb of storage and a super tiny gtx1080.

All the parts fit perfectly, no space to give.

The hdd and ssd drives were mounted with velcro tape to the sides were there was space.

Cooling in the case is amazing. The one singular case fan pulls up air into the gpu and the rest of the case is just cooled the the massive cup cooler circulating air from front to back through the "open" case design.

One thing I wanted to achieve in this build, was having no buttons or lapels on the case for a cleaner look.

So I ran 3m extension cords for everything through a sleve from the case directly into one external wooden box that could be placed any where.

On the picture zou can see the disc drive, the power button, and connections for usb 3 and 2 as well as headphone and mic.

I'm sorry that I cant provide pictures of the build, but I did not realise I would live the PC so much that I would like to share the finished results.

For the wood I used a tree from our forest that i cut down and dried myself. The monitor is also from the same wood, where a friendly carpenter prepared the wood and I got a controller board from Ebay and a old laptop screen.

If I have the funds to hold another one of those, I think I I will provide pictures of the process, but for now  feel free to ask me anything. 

Urs, Moritz 

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

9I can sorta make out the be quit! Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler in the bottom photo in the windows reflection. Definitely a one-of-a-kind case!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Love the case, the external switch and usb ports really make for a clean look. Would love to see a sort of fire lighting situation instead of a lamp.

3 hours ago, JJB said:

Love the case, the external switch and usb ports really make for a clean look. Would love to see a sort of fire lighting situation instead of a lamp.

i agree a flickering red/yellow light would make it look pretty sick!

On 6/21/2019 at 7:46 PM, xreaperx22 said:

i agree a flickering red/yellow light would make it look pretty sick!

Awesome idea, maybe with the upcoming new PC AMD hardware I'll be able.to afford  another PC build and I'll make it a reality.

Also, the lights are just 2 12v lightbulbs, so I could easily switch 5hose for some cooler changing led bulbs 

15 hours ago, rissdridin said:

Awesome idea, maybe with the upcoming new PC AMD hardware I'll be able.to afford  another PC build and I'll make it a reality.

Also, the lights are just 2 12v lightbulbs, so I could easily switch 5hose for some cooler changing led bulbs 

nice! would love to see it after you finish it

• 3 weeks later...

Defiantly have to follow this... trying to do more of a conventional styled wood case my self but there's a couple concerns i have and wanna look in to it, before going threw with it