Are 1x pcie slot m.2 adapters any good?

Dramengo

I have a Small Form factor Computer that I am wanting to put an 240 GB ssd of some sort in to speed up the operating system and some old games (Morrowind, X3, and the like).
my only options are in order of most to least preferred:
to use a m.2 adapter that will fit in a 1x pcie slot that is also low profile
remove the slim optical drive and use a power adapter from its power to power a 2.5 sdd
Replace my 500 GB HDD with a 500 GB+ SSD
Also money is tight.

Question is if you use the optical drive? Personally I haven't used mine in a couple months. 

2.5" SSDs are usually cheaper than M.2 drives as well. I think swapping out the optical drive would be the cheapest way to go. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Are you sure there's no other place you can stick a 2.5" drive? Even double sided tape it...

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

5 minutes ago, Dramengo said:

I have a Small Form factor Computer that I am wanting to put an 240 GB ssd of some sort in to speed up the operating system and some old games (Morrowind, X3, and the like).
my only options are in order of most to least preferred:
to use a m.2 adapter that will fit in a 1x pcie slot that is also low profile
remove the slim optical drive and use a power adapter from its power to power a 2.5 sdd
Replace my 500 GB HDD with a 500 GB+ SSD
Also money is tight.

Pcie 3.0 1x is capable of about 8Gb/s (approx 1GB/s), so you're good with SATA based SSD, NVMe drives might be capped a bit.

I'd just replace the HDD with an SSD and use the same power/data (assuming your computer uses SATA and not ATA)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The computer I am wanting to do this in is an SFF Dell Optiplex 3020, it only has one full sized sata power and one mini sata power for the slim-optical drive. It is pretty cramped in there. Also I have a 3 year old that like shoving random objects in big holes in my computers, I am not aware of a 2.5 in drive caddy that fits were the slim-odd sits in this case so I can keep her from doing that.

-

Not exactly the same thing, but I myself got a Pcie x1 to 1x3.0 Sata card and it has a mount for one regular 2.5"HDD. I put a SSD drive there which worked about 80% of the speed as it would compared to directly plugging it into a sata port (Crystal disk gave about 440/390, versus normal sata 550/500).
So I would suspect the same kind of speed downgrade would happen with Pcie 1x to M.2 adapter.