Storing PC parts?

mich991

Hello.

Is it safe to keep my PC parts inside their original package in a closet? Do I need to put them inside someTHING?

I don't know where to put this thread so move it in a more appropriate one. Thanks.

ESD-safe bags can help with storage, but aren't necessarily required. Other than that, you just want to keep them protected from falls (or things falling on them), any pins that may become damaged need to be protected. Keeping dust out of them helps as well, though that's largely just a convenience to yourself for not having to clean them up at a later date.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

2 minutes ago, mich991 said:

-snip-

Yes. The packeging is designed to keep the parts safe under shipping and while in storage.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not like parts will just magically break all by themselves. The two things that break hardware are moisture and something heavy crushing them and even then, typical living-areas humidity isn't enough moisture to damage them. Sure, there are edge-cases like e.g. leaving something with a black PCB and plenty of black caps in direct sunlight that could cause the PCB to bend over time and the caps to break, but anyone with even a tiny bit of sense in their heads wouldn't leave something like that in direct sunlight.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you all guys. I will leave them in the original packaging and in a simple bag.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:43 AM, WereCatf said:

he two things that break hardware are moisture and something heavy crushing them

and gnomes.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 6/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, mich991 said:

Hello.

Is it safe to keep my PC parts inside their original package in a closet? Do I need to put them inside someTHING?

I don't know where to put this thread so move it in a more appropriate one. Thanks.

In their original packaging in the closet is fine, just make sure they aren't exposed to an excess of moisture.

Having them in antistatic bags (they usually come with them) is a good idea.

I personally have piles of old computer parts on shelves, in drawers, and in boxes just sitting there without bags or anything, but it's all old stuff that probably will never be used again.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W