Steam is insane

Constantin

Hello people!

So my brother came to visit.

We are trying to find an FPS game (play with each other) free to play.

Some people suggested some games in Steam

I have never had steam before.

So me and my brother made an account installed Steam software.

Next step was to be friend in steam so we can find each other and play together.

This is the crazy insane Steam respond!!!!

I have to pay 5$ to be able to be friend ........

steam1.jpg

steam2.jpg

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

you can allways just send invites regardless..........

didnt know this was a thing, though it is mostly a non-issue for most people. 

This is done to prevent spam bots an/or help reduce the marketplace scams that once (still?) were commonplace.

It's not all that unreasonable, if you ask me.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

if you make your profile open there will be a join game button without being friends 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

1 hour ago, Semper said:

This is done to prevent spam bots an/or help reduce the marketplace scams that once (still?) were commonplace.

It's not all that unreasonable, if you ask me.

We made an account in a platform to play games together.

And we can't find each other to play....

This is reasonable?  

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

This is reasonable?  

im pretty certain you can find eachother without adding to friendlist and then inviting. 

and messaging still works iirc. in other words send a message and use the message tab to invite

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

This is reasonable?  

As others have said above, there are ways to get around this with very little effort.

It's really not unreasonable at all, it's actually a low level entry barrier when compared to similar anti-spam measures.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

7 minutes ago, Semper said:

As others have said above, there are ways to get around this with very little effort.

It's really not unreasonable at all, it's actually a low level entry barrier when compared to similar anti-spam measures.

message tab for inviting was actually way easier for me when i used steam to organize stuff. 

22 minutes ago, Constantin said:

This is reasonable?  

Absolutely; a $5 "entry fee" is the easiest way to prevent spam bots from flooding their user system. (and yet it still doesn't work, but I digress.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

Absolutely; a $5 "entry fee" is the easiest way to prevent spam bots from flooding their user system. (and yet it still doesn't work, but I digress.)

That really seems like something that shouldn't be a thing just to add people to a friend's list. 

5 hours ago, kirashi said:

Really? do you think people care about you? me? or anyone else?

This is not the reason, if you believe that, this is nonsense.

Those platforms are to spit on the floor.

I plat video games since 1988!!!! 

The first time i installed one of those BS, was Battle net to play Diablo 3 that someone gifted it to me.

The second and last was Origin to play Apex and a gifted Anthem. 

Why deal with those idiots when i just want to play the game? To pay fees here and there.....

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Really? do you think people care about you? me? or anyone else?

This is not the reason, if you believe that, this is nonsense.

Those platforms are to spit on the floor.

I plat video games since 1988!!!! 

The first time i installed one of those BS, was Battle net to play Diablo 3 that someone gifted it to me.

The second and last was Origin to play Apex and a gifted Anthem. 

Why deal with those idiots when i just want to play the game? To pay fees here and there.....

Ever traded in Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

delete

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

I have to pay 5$ to be able to be friend... Why deal with those idiots when i just want to play the game? To pay fees here and there...

steam45543.png.aa7ab2e12ce898ee93137233fbaf1c75.png

You do not have to pay anything. Add $5.00 to you Steam Wallet and if you want that $5.00 back just put it back where it came from. Or you could just wait a week and use it at the Steam Summer sale coming up on 1-10 games. I have 7 different launchers and have paid $0.00 towards anything outside of games.

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

This has always been a think iirc

It's something Valve introduced in... 2015, I think it was, to combat scam and phishing bots that were brand new level 0 accounts with nothing on them.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's something Valve introduced in... 2015, I think it was, to combat scam and phishing bots that were brand new level 0 accounts with nothing on them.

2015.... MMO's started around 2004 and they adapt dealing with bot scam pretty well

2 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

steam45543.png.aa7ab2e12ce898ee93137233fbaf1c75.png

You do not have to pay anything. Add $5.00 to you Steam Wallet and if you want that $5.00 back just put it back where it came from. Or you could just wait a week and use it at the Steam Summer sale coming up on 1-10 games. I have 7 different launchers and have paid $0.00 towards anything outside of games.

It's not the 5$....... i throw 5$ in the garbage right now...... It's massive disrespect manipulation of gamers

7 minutes ago, Constantin said:

It's not the 5$....... i throw 5$ in the garbage right now...... It's massive disrespect manipulation of gamers

I'm pretty sure it is the $5 or you wouldn't be throwing a tantrum about it. If $5 is an unreasonable amount for you then you should probably be doing something other with your time.

12 minutes ago, Constantin said:

2015.... MMO's started around 2004 and they adapt dealing with bot scam pretty well

Good thing neither TF2 or CS:GO are MMOs.

Valve was notoriously poor at responding to community problems up until around then.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

It's not the 5$....... i throw 5$ in the garbage right now......

I bet you $5.00 you won't.

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

It's massive disrespect manipulation of gamers

In what way, shape or form? I've never paid a dime and feel no disrespect from Steam. Could you by chance elaborate how it's disrespectful or manipulating?

On 6/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, Constantin said:

What's more disrespectful and manipulating; steam asking for $5 to verify you are a human and not using their platform to scam people, or bots / people using their platform for spam and phishing peoples account details?

12 hours ago, veli2501 said:

What's more disrespectful and manipulating; steam asking for $5 to verify you are a human and not using their platform to scam people, or bots / people using their platform for spam and phishing peoples account details?

So this is what happen in League Of legend and Apex ect....?

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

So this is what happen in League Of legend and Apex ect....?

I don't know but I DO know that it was a problem on Steam, probably due to the fact that it has by far the largest user base.  By Apex I assume you mean Origin, considering Apex is the first F2P game that EA has ever released potentially the majority of Origin users have already made purchases on their accounts.  I have received unsolicited invites from randoms on that platform though.