CapTherm about to start selling revolutionary multiphase CPU cooler

mgsstar

Just over two years ago, I was sitting with CapTherm at a dinner as we vaguely discussed a cooler they had been working on, and from the energy and enthusiasm in which they went into detail about this product with, we knew there was something big on the horizon. CapTherm has been in the business of offering many ideas and devices to bring cooling levels down in datacenter, PC, LED, and even cool things for military applications.

As it turns out, they were talking about the MP-1120 multiphase cooling system. This is not a water cooler or some take on a very compact AIO; this is a whole different breed of cooler. First, they needed to devise a better metallurgical structure of the materials used, because we all know that copper and aluminum have been used in every manner and have hit sort of a stall point in efficiency.

This is where they turn to explosion welding where layers of metal, no matter their difference, are set under a layer of high explosives, and detonated to weld these normally incompatible materials together, like titanium welded to copper that is then welded to stainless steel. Steps are also taken afterward to make these materials not only decent to look at, but they also have a slick addition by using a sight glass.

With the basis of this design using a non-conductive liquid in the base, allowing the heat to essentially boil that liquid and use the vapor to take the heat out of the base via a thin radiator that we are told is able to run passively in many instances, but still has the ability to add a fan for much better thermal transfer. But to offer this view, the sight glass has to be plasma fusion welded to the metals to keep the cooler running as it should. To add a bit of flash to what is an already very flashy product, there is also a RGB LED installed to brighten the view of the reaction inside.

We are just scratching the surface of what this built-in the USA MP-1120 is capable of, as I read somewhere that they say this cooler offers ten times better performance than some other solutions out there on the market, and that is a huge deal to someone who is seeing the stall in CPU cooling. This sort of technology does not come cheap, and to exaggerate that point, the MP-1120 has a $249 MSRP. Considering the cost of much larger and more annoying phase change solutions, the pricing is a bit expected, and with no moving parts until you add the fan, there isn't the annoying hum associated with this in any way.

Rumor has it that samples will be ready soon, and we are also told that we are at the top of the list as to where those samples will go. So, keep your eye out in our reviews section for when we have the opportunity to put this completely new way of attacking CPU heat to the test.
35079_1_captherm_about_to_start_selling_35079_2_captherm_about_to_start_selling_35079_3_captherm_about_to_start_selling_

Personally I think this cooler looks pretty cool. But with a $249 price point, its pretty expensive and pretty excited to see how will be perform even though it uses a thin radiator.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Looks cool. But I think that $250 will negate any point of buying this cooler 

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

A lot of the people that will buy this are going to be the same people that SLI 780Ti's - people with disposable income.

They're saying that multiphase cooling is 500x more efficient than liquid cooling, so I'd definitely like to see some test numbers...

Pew Pew Helicopters

250$

if it cooled as good as a 240 rad then there might be a market for it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It would look a lot cooler(heh) if it didn't have the radiator sticking up. The picture that shows it on a motherboard looks amazing. I'm not so sure it has a marker among people like us. Most of us who water cool don't do it mainly for the temperatures (at least on cpu's). We do it just because its special and something to be proud of and looks awesome. 

Shit, why does it have to be blue. If I get one of those, those LEDs will come right out. Allergic to anything blue in computers.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

sorry to break this to you but that s bull'.

no matter what you do from the cpu to the radiator,

you re still limited to the radiator's surface area and airflow over the fins.

(because this is how heat transfer is calculated, you can t transfer faster than the slowest part of the system. in this case the fins)

this will cool as well as a 25$ cm hyper 212 or less seeing as how the fin stack seams thinner.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Shit, why does it have to be blue. If I get one of those, those LEDs will come right out. Allergic to anything blue in computers.

It's an RGB LED so you can change the colour on it and I'm sure you can turn it off as well.

What I don't get is why they didn't make it low-profile.

I'm interested to see the temperatures, although $250 is a bit high, could be worth the price if it keeps parts in the 20-30C range while under load.

All of that sounds cool and all, but isn't "water boils into steam, which condenses when it releases its heat into the fin array" exactly the same as the way any other air cooler works? I can wait and see the numbers, but I don't really see what the difference is.

They used "plasma fusion" and "high explosives" in description of making a CPU cooler.

Combine this information with the comment above, and call it whatever you want.

I call it bullshit.

Expensive Bullshit.

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

Although it looks cool, I gotta call bullshit. There is no way that thing will cool an AMD FX 9590, OC'd or not, fanless. The article did say that it would run fanless, FYI.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Although it looks cool, I gotta call bullshit. There is no way that thing will cool an AMD FX 9590, OC'd or not, fanless. The article did say that it would run fanless, FYI.

when people brag about phase change cooling, there is reason to do so. using evaporation and condensation to literally pull the heat out of the processor is much much MUCH more efficient than any passive transfer of energy done in convention systems. I can see this working extremely well, so long as there isn't a problem getting the heat out of the radiator.

If this is ever released, I will buy one, plain and simple.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

phase change cooling is very effective everywhere it is used. im interested in seeing how it will perform. looks ugly imo though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

phase change cooling is very effective everywhere it is used. im interested in seeing how it will perform. looks ugly imo though.

sorry but this isn t the usefull kind of phase change cooling.

this use phase change between the cpu and a tiny fin stack.

no matter how efficient the transfer from the cpu to the fins is the heat cant be transferred faster than the fins can.

seeing how small those are i don t see this cooler be usefull for anythi g other than looks but even there it isn t great

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

the Zalman Reserator 3 max and this cooler are impressive to look at in a case, but thats about it. Dont get your hopes up. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

They used "plasma fusion" and "high explosives" in description of making a CPU cooler.

Combine this information with the comment above, and call it whatever you want.

I call it bullshit.

Expensive Bullshit.

Use high explosives to fuse two incompatible metals together. Sounds plausible.

i would like to see this in action if its real, even if im not interested in buying it just the fact that it exists makes me happy

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

sorry but this isn t the usefull kind of phase change cooling.

this use phase change between the cpu and a tiny fin stack.

no matter how efficient the transfer from the cpu to the fins is the heat cant be transferred faster than the fins can.

seeing how small those are i don t see this cooler be usefull for anythi g other than looks but even there it isn t great

The only benefit I see is if you can get those tiny fins up to a ridiculously high temperature through efficient transfer of heat from the die, then it stands to transfer more heat to the air; heat transfer is reliant on the delta between the fin and the air, and higher delta caused by higher heat transfer to the fin, should result in hotter air coming off the rad.  Agreed it must be something magic if they expect it to be 10x better than existing phase change (read: heat pipes).

In a world where the blind leads the blind, who do you follow?

i5 3570K @ 4.3, Dual GTX780, 3x 1080 27" samsung cheap displays.

512 Samsung SSD with 1TB green, 2TB green, and 2x3TB Red, 4x4TB Red.

The only benefit I see is if you can get those tiny fins up to a ridiculously high temperature through efficient transfer of heat from the die, then it stands to transfer more heat to the air; heat transfer is reliant on the delta between the fin and the air, and higher delta caused by higher heat transfer to the fin, should result in hotter air coming off the rad. Agreed it must be something magic if they expect it to be 10x better than existing phase change (read: heat pipes).

well they re using exactly the same principle silverstone was showing at ces (a AIO with no pump) but SIlverstone never said it performed any good (and they had a 2x120mm rad), just that it looked good . and they got way more r n d money to spend than these guys.

sorry to break this to you but that s bull'.

no matter what you do from the cpu to the radiator,

you re still limited to the radiator's surface area and airflow over the fins.

(because this is how heat transfer is calculated, you can t transfer faster than the slowest part of the system. in this case the fins)

this will cool as well as a 25$ cm hyper 212 or less seeing as how the fin stack seams thinner.

I personally think all the obsession with MOAR rad space is somewhat pointless. I think that the biggest issue is simply not enough heat is being moved from the CPU to the rad, as I've never felt heat coming off of my radiator, even when the block/pump is warm (mind you it is a H100i, so nothing crazy).

The way I look at it is I'm positive that a car engine produces a LOT more heat relative to its radiator size compared to a computer, yet it always sits in that 100C range.

Its just an opinion, I do not have a degree in anything that relates to this stuff, so assume I have no idea what I'm actually talking about.

I'm going to withhold my judgement until I see a review. Do you guys seriously think that you can work out that it won't be any good simply by looking at a picture of it, and reading a pr?