iPod Touch 7th Gen's existence explained? Apple announces IOS 13 device support and drops A7, and A8 with 1GB RAM

LukeSavenije

Sources: @AluminiumTech, anandtech

Today Apple announced the new iOS 13 operating system update for iPhones as a response to WWDC yesterday. For iOS 13, it looks like Apple is dropping support for devices older than the iPhone 6S. In general it looks like any past generation device with 1GB of RAM will no longer be supported and will not receive the iOS 13 update.

Ipad mini 4 will still have support, even if it has the same a8 as in the iphone 6, it has more RAM. 6th gen ipod touch will be killed with this

image.png.9cc724b593104109f503a88ce1d76137.png

image.png.bd8a7f05e1adba5084f7ab6715a8256d.png

well... time to warn my friends and family again

To clarify, the Apple A8 chip paired with 2GB RAM such as in iPad Mini 4 is why it is supported in iPadOS.

And the possible reason for the launch of iPod Touch 7th gen is the fact that the 6th gen is not supported in IOS 13. Apple likely knew this ahead of IOS13's launch and so created the iPod Touch 7th gen to enable iPod Touch users to still have access to IOS 13.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

RIP iPhone 6 series.

I've still got a few relatives on those, I'll have to upgrade them.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm failing to see how this explains 7th gen iPod Touch existence. 

because 6th gen isn't supported with this update

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

There will be an iPod tjat supports iOS 13

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There will be an iPod tjat supports iOS 13

And that makes... no difference. "We launched a product so we can say we support it with latest update" makes no sense. Nope, that is not it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

And that makes... no difference.

Depends on what changes with iOS 13. Some developers use them because they're cheaper than iPhones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Depends on what changes with iOS 13. Some developers use them because they're cheaper than iPhones.

Anecdotal experience, but I have yet to see a single developer that uses an iPod. Like literally one. Every single one has an iPhone, I can only assume due to more functionalities that may get in the way. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Anecdotal experience

Not really anecdotal. There are developers out there that want a cheap device for testing purposes. Hardware wise, it's the same as older iPhones (not that there are huge changes between them that breaks compatibility,) software is the only major issue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not really anecdotal. There are developers out there that want a cheap device for testing purposes. Hardware wise, it's the same as older iPhones (not that there are huge changes between them that breaks compatibility,) software is the only major issue.

And software is bound to change is what I meant, no regular phone services (calling, regular SMS), no mobile data connection so no mobile networks options most notable ones to mention. As I said, my reasoning, will it break, I have no idea, never tried developing for iOS. Probably won't but I wouldn't know 100%.

27 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And software is bound to change is what I meant, no regular phone services (calling, regular SMS), no mobile data connection so no mobile networks options most notable ones to mention. As I said, my reasoning, will it break, I have no idea, never tried developing for iOS. Probably won't but I wouldn't know 100%.

I would actually argue the biggest drawback from a developer perspective is the fact that it's a completely different screen size to regular iPhones.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would actually argue the biggest drawback from a developer perspective is the fact that it's a completely different screen size to regular iPhones.

The screen size and res is the same as iPhone 5/5S though. Which in the world of iPhones I suppose means they are prepared for it?

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

because 6th gen isn't supported with this update

What does that matter. If you want a music playing device, just use your smartphone.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

What does that matter. If you want a music playing device, just use your smartphone.

some people seem to care

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The screen size and res is the same as iPhone 5/5S though. Which in the world of iPhones I suppose means they are prepared for it?

Well yes but ideally you'd want the same resolution and screen size as popular recent devices like a 7 or 7 plus as well as an Xr, Xs, and Xs Max.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Developers can't really touch all the cellular stuff anyway (at least I can't imagine so) so for all intents and purposes it's an iPhone.

Considering the amount of devices being maintained on LOS with the developers not having access to the vast majority of the devices they develop for and things seem to generally work out anyway, I'm inclined to believe - short of incompetence - that it will be a non-issue.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well yes but ideally you'd want the same resolution and screen size as popular recent devices like a 7 or 7 plus as well as an Xr, Xs, and Xs Max.

iOS renderes at an internal resolution higher than the display...

And for testing purposes, screen size is kinda irrelevant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

6th gen isn’t supported. There’s still a market for these, and support is needed

17 hours ago, Kherm said:

RIP iPhone 6 series.

I've still got a few relatives on those, I'll have to upgrade them.

Not a bad life given it is 5 years old now. Not too bad a life for modern electronics. Shame Android devices don't get updates for as long.

18 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Having at least one iPod (probably the last ever but who knows) that is up to date in terms of software.

Perfect for kids, point of sale, etc..

Also iOS13 is required to use Apple Arcade next fall, so this makes it a kid friendly Apple Arcade machine..

That means my 6s Plus is likely nearing end-of-life ?. The 6 is definitely showing its age but my phone still feels great. 

5 years for a modern phone is great. It's sad that such a short time is the exception and not the rule though. The Apple value proposition is pretty good if you can get 5 good years of use at least out of your phone 

That's an F in the profile pic

29 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

That means my 6s Plus is likely nearing end-of-life ?. The 6 is definitely showing its age but my phone still feels great. 

5 years for a modern phone is great. It's sad that such a short time is the exception and not the rule though. The Apple value proposition is pretty good if you can get 5 good years of use at least out of your phone 

6s was a great generation...the jump to A9 and 2GB of ram meant instant spotlight and never seeing a safari tab reload again...even if I personally don’t use no A9 device anymore, I sure hope that A9 makes the jump to iOS14 next year as a farewell update...if 14 is a “tock”, after the “tick” of 13, it could happen..

41 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm on a 5s....still all I need...though I guess i'll need to look at what's new now...really like the 5s size and shape :(

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

11 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I'm on a 5s....still all I need...though I guess i'll need to look at what's new now...really like the 5s size and shape :(

You can always get go for a SE. They have the same body and screen.