Ab350 gaming 3 and ryzen 3000 compatibility?

I was wondering if there were some news about ryzen 3000 (mainly 3600 or 3600x versions) being compatible with ab350 gaming 3 mobo?

I know many people dont like the sound of that idea but my mobo serves me great, no heating issues or any crashes with overclocked ryzen 1600 so i was wondering if i can keep it with 3600 or 3600x?

And i dont really care that much about pci 4.0 xD

Right now I don't think we know for sure, some B350s will support Ryzen 3000 and some won't. I think you'll know when the CPUs are released

By today most motherboard brand should have a list that supports R3k.

Officially, for 300 series chipset, its up to the manufacturer to decide their support, i assume all brand will support it.

They don't wan't to be imaged as a company that deliberately limiting it's motherboards potential.

That is a bad PR.

About PCIe 4.0, you should care about it, it can deliver almost 60% more bandwidth.

Fortunately, the PCIe controller is on the CPU itself, so using old motherboard can have a 4.0 running (maybe limited in features).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

A lot of motherboards already have updates for the new CPUs and some brands have lists showing which models will have support.

You just need to check the site of your motherboard to see if the model you own have been updated for the new CPUs or try to find some support list in case it wasn't updated yet.

7 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

A lot of motherboards already have updates for the new CPUs and some brands have lists showing which models will have support.

You just need to check the site of your motherboard to see if the model you own have been updated for the new CPUs or try to find some support list in case it wasn't updated yet.

OP specified motherboard's site doesn't say

Gigabyte add in BIOS section on web new bios with notice:

1. Update AGESA 0.0.7.2 for Athlon 200-series (Raven2) APU and further new CPU support

Below that is: 

Note : Due to BIOS ROM size limited, no Bristol Ridge APU support.

This may indicate that Ryzen 3000 series will be supported, but for the cost A-series apus will not be supported any more.

Hope I am true, because I also have AB350 gaming3 board :)

• 3 weeks later...

Rejoice!!  It's out...

FRxbuw4.pngTDYvKFD.png

On 6/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, drdexter said:

I was wondering if there were some news about ryzen 3000 (mainly 3600 or 3600x versions) being compatible with ab350 gaming 3 mobo?

I know many people dont like the sound of that idea but my mobo serves me great, no heating issues or any crashes with overclocked ryzen 1600 so i was wondering if i can keep it with 3600 or 3600x?

And i dont really care that much about pci 4.0 xD

You will have to check the website for BIOS updates and install the latest bios.

AMD won't force motherboard makers to support Ryzen 3xxx series with the B350 chipsets. If the motherboard maker things the board is good enough, they'll support at least SOME Ryzen 3xxx series processors through BIOS updates.

For example, a board with a weaker 4 phase VRM may not handle a 12core or 16core Ryzen 3xxx series, so the motherboard maker may choose to not support these particular Ryzen 3xxx series processors, or they may choose to not allow ANY Ryzen 3xxx series processors (because people are stupid and some may try 12core or 16core processors anyway and if they get the boards damaged it would be a pain in the ass for them with warranties and RMAs and so on)

PCI-e 4 controller is in the cpu. In theory, a card plugged in the pci-e x16 slot that's wired directly to the CPU may be able to "connect" and function at pci-e x16 4.0 speeds, but the quality of the motherboard also matters, how the wires between cpu socket and pci-e slot are arranged, the distance between cpu and slot and so on... if you get too many errors the devices would probably fall back to pci-e 3.0 anyway. However, it could be that by default it's running at pci-e 3.0 and a command from chipset or bios may be needed to enable pci-e 4.0 mode, in which case you don't get pci-e 4.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

You will have to check the website for BIOS updates and install the latest bios.

AMD won't force motherboard makers to support Ryzen 3xxx series with the B350 chipsets. If the motherboard maker things the board is good enough, they'll support at least SOME Ryzen 3xxx series processors through BIOS updates.

For example, a board with a weaker 4 phase VRM may not handle a 12core or 16core Ryzen 3xxx series, so the motherboard maker may choose to not support these particular Ryzen 3xxx series processors, or they may choose to not allow ANY Ryzen 3xxx series processors (because people are stupid and some may try 12core or 16core processors anyway and if they get the boards damaged it would be a pain in the ass for them with warranties and RMAs and so on)

PCI-e 4 controller is in the cpu. In theory, a card plugged in the pci-e x16 slot that's wired directly to the CPU may be able to "connect" and function at pci-e x16 4.0 speeds, but the quality of the motherboard also matters, how the wires between cpu socket and pci-e slot are arranged, the distance between cpu and slot and so on... if you get too many errors the devices would probably fall back to pci-e 3.0 anyway. However, it could be that by default it's running at pci-e 3.0 and a command from chipset or bios may be needed to enable pci-e 4.0 mode, in which case you don't get pci-e 4.

All moot now. See my post right above. 3950X is supported. 

5 minutes ago, D3X said:

All moot now. See my post right above. 3950X is supported. 

May be, doesn't mean you should attempt it.

Board seems to have a 4phase vrm , designed maybe for peak efficiency at 100A or so... a 12core will consume up to 150A on prime95, a 16 core may hit 200A.

Basically, the VRM will not be efficient therefore produce loads of heat therefore vrm will overheat and bios may throttle cpu frequencies to reduce power.

End result ... poor performance.

See video below, Gigabyte boards discussed art around 15 min.

Right, but OP is talking about 3600, 3600X or even a 3700X which are 6-8 Core 65W TDP Processors.  Which these lower VRMs should support without any major issues.  I know overclocking will definitely draw more power, but I don't think overclocking these lower end 3000 CPUs will get near 200W draw.  I get your point with the 12-16 Cores, but it wasn't the question?

• 4 weeks later...

This is all good in theory, but my Rev 1.1 Gaming-3 AB350 on the v40 firmware won't post with a Ryzen 5 3600.  Looks like I'm looking around for a 450 board.  Yes, I cleared the CMOS and removed all peripherals.   Still no post.  

If i dont have to i rather not update. I would go max 3700x... I dont need more than that nor i have budget for it. Depending on mostly how much ram speed has influence on fps and if this MOBO can handle 3600 ram speed i may change it. But if it can handle 3600 ram speed and ryzen 3700x it would be nice to save 200$ xD

20 hours ago, UncleRenty said:

This is all good in theory, but my Rev 1.1 Gaming-3 AB350 on the v40 firmware won't post with a Ryzen 5 3600.  Looks like I'm looking around for a 450 board.  Yes, I cleared the CMOS and removed all peripherals.   Still no post.  

Hmmm... interesting... I have 1600oc to 3.9 or 4hz (cant member correctly now) and dont have problems. Maybe because i have very nice airflow keeping my pc in nice temp ranges or i got lucky with my mobo.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, D3X said:

Rejoice!!  It's out...

FRxbuw4.pngTDYvKFD.png

I cant even believe you menaged to dig up this post after so long lol

Hmmm now that i am looking at it it seems this mobo cant go past 3200hz ram

• 2 months later...

F42a seems to have solved all the issues.  I have a Ryzen 5 3400G(yes Zen+, but still recent) in it for now, but I'll be updating to a 3600.

I also have DDR4-3600 C16 memory that seems to be working as well.  Try pulling out 1 stick of ram and get it to post.  This board is rather finicky on memory timings from my experience working with it (I think all AMD boards are finicky tbh).

On 7/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, drdexter said:

I cant even believe you menaged to dig up this post after so long lol

I specifically googled it, and I even signed up for this forum to post.