Combining Two 600mb connections

I am going to be moving into a new place pretty soon and the owner of the house and me both have a 600 mb connection with shaw on a two year plan. I was wondering if i would combine them in like a router if i would get a 1.2gb connection or if i would just get redundancy. and if i combine them what would be a good router to get

25 minutes ago, BradinMcClelland said:

I am going to be moving into a new place pretty soon and the owner of the house and me both have a 600 mb connection with shaw on a two year plan. I was wondering if i would combine them in like a router if i would get a 1.2gb connection or if i would just get redundancy. and if i combine them what would be a good router to get

Sadly that's not how it works, you'll likely have to cancel one of the plans. The only way you can get a GB connection is if the ISP offers it and you pay for it, that's regulated on their end, and you can only have one connection per residence in most cases.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

It is theoretically possible but there's quite a bit of setup involved and it can cause you problems on sites that use services like CloudFlare. They don't like seeing a users traffic coming from 2 IPs.

You'd probably be better off using LA or FO assuming you have multiple users/clients. If you host any servers it'd be a nice perk for the clients.

talk with the ISP see if you cant cancel one and get a 1gbs line instead. believe it or not some isp are actually helpful in situastions like this 

11 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Sadly that's not how it works, you'll likely have to cancel one of the plans. The only way you can get a GB connection is if the ISP offers it and you pay for it, that's regulated on their end, and you can only have one connection per residence in most cases.

I have talked with the isp and we both can have a connection because we both have a two year contract i will talk to them aout combining the connections

Dual WAN, just like LAG, does not aggregate the bandwidth. The max speed of any one connection would be the max of the connection it uses. You would get the redundancy but you would never see more than 600Mb per client. 

11 hours ago, BradinMcClelland said:

I have talked with the isp and we both can have a connection because we both have a two year contract i will talk to them aout combining the connections

LTT has a video where they do this but they had to use two different connection types (Cable and DSL I believe), and had to purchase some equipment in order to do it, you can't do it with two of the same connections from the same ISP and you can't use just a standard router. Also if your ISP does a GB connection see how much it is because it's probably cheaper than paying for two separate 600Mb connections.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

10 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

LTT has a video where they do this but they had to use two different connection types (Cable and DSL I believe), and had to purchase some equipment in order to do it, you can't do it with two of the same connections from the same ISP and you can't use just a standard router. Also if your ISP does a GB connection see how much it is because it's probably cheaper than paying for two separate 600Mb connections.

right now i have a two year plan and we are locked in and this is the fastest internet connection available to me right now

On 5/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, BradinMcClelland said:

You cant get faster speeds, but you can do fail over and load balancing. You just need a dual WAN router. Ubiquti edge routers I think for the most part of this feature, I use a Synology Rt2600AC and it does dual WAN.

On the other side of it, you could just have a separate connection from the owner of the house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:22 AM, Windows7ge said:

It is theoretically possible but there's quite a bit of setup involved and it can cause you problems on sites that use services like CloudFlare. They don't like seeing a users traffic coming from 2 IPs.

You'd probably be better off using LA or FO assuming you have multiple users/clients. If you host any servers it'd be a nice perk for the clients.

I've been load balancing across two connections from completely different ISPs for a few months now and not had a single issue and I use many sites which use cloudflare.

I was quite surprised to be honest as I was expecting issues.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've been load balancing across two connections from completely different ISPs for a few months now and not had a single issue and I use many sites which use cloudflare.

I was quite surprised to be honest as I was expecting issues.

Load Balancing for a single user/session? Are you able to use the cumulative bandwidth of both connections for a single application?

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Load Balancing for a single user/session? Are you able to use the cumulative bandwidth of both connections for a single application?

Depends on the application.

I did it primarily for Steam, PSN, Xbox Live so that downloads would go quicker, which works perfectly.  Its worth noting however that I do not game online, its likely you'd have to disable it for that to work.

Loading web pages it will also constantly switch between connections, so if they are quite heavy it will finish loading the page faster.

Downloads from the browser will need some sort of multi-threaded download manager, there are add ons/extensions for that.

I'm using pfSense on the router.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I did it primarily for Steam, PSN, Xbox Live so that downloads would go quicker, which works perfectly.  Its worth noting however that I do not game online, its likely you'd have to disable it for that to work.

Loading web pages it will also constantly switch between connections, so if they are quite heavy it will finish loading the page faster.

Downloads from the browser will need some sort of multi-threaded download manager, there are add ons/extensions for that.

Interesting. That's good to know.

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What multi-threaded download manager are you using/recommend?

23 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

What multi-threaded download manager are you using/recommend?

I just have something called Multithreaded Download Manager installed on Firefox on my laptop, I doubt its the best option was just a quick solution.

I don't bother on my desktop as its rare I need to download anything large in the browser.  Mostly I just use it as a benefit as if I start two differnet downloads at the same time theres a good chance it will be one on each connection.