V-moda M-100, Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Closed Headphones in the same price class

TheLazyGrizzly
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

I'd vote Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro over an M50 or a Crossfade LP, but I'd pick the M-100 in a heartbeat.

Hey,

So my "crappy" Asus Vulcan is literately worn out by daily use, the ear cushions come apart and no warranty left

However, since i using a different mic now and got a bit a more knowledge about audio, im not interested in getting a new Headset ​but rather a nice pair of Headphones.

So i been doing a some of research regarding these headphones.

And correct me if im wrong but the M-100 is good for heavy bass music (Rap, Techno) and console gaming.

While M50 people are more split some say its good for music some say its only good for recordings stuff like Lets plays etc. but not really good for music.

Now onto my preferences and what i gonna use them for.

I decided to go with closed headphones since open ones should could be picked up by my AT-2020.

Priorities are Sound Quality followed by Build quality/Design.

My music taste is very wide spread but i mostly listen to Rock, Trance, Pop, EDM and House.

Other than listening to music i mostly just gonna use them for average gaming, watching anime and youtube videos.

Thank you in advance!

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC | Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256 GB | HDD 1:  WD Black 2 TB | HDD 2: WD Green 1.5 TB | PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W 80+ Gold Certified | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

I have the v-moda crossfade LP and I LOVE them. They are so comfortable and have great sound quality. The m-100's have the same comfortable and strong design, but they fold and have even better sound quality! The build quality Is great on my v-modas! I would deff go with the m-100. You can also buy the boompro mic from v-moda for 30$ that turns them into a headset with mic!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If you're not going to be using it as a portable pair of headphones, get the m50. The Crossfades excel as a pair of mobile headsets and tend to focus on build and rigidity, slightly sacrificing sound quality.

Both are great for your usage, but the m50 is probably the better choice here. 

Error: 410

M50's are alright if you can get them at around 100$. if not they're not that good of a value. they're also quite uncomfortable unless you have small ears. I prefer my Shure SRH440 (with 840 pads) over the M50's, due to better mids and highs, more comfort, less price and a more accurate bass, not slightly overpowering like the M50's might be to some.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I'd vote Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro over an M50 or a Crossfade LP, but I'd pick the M-100 in a heartbeat.

I have the v-moda crossfade LP and I LOVE them. They are so comfortable and have great sound quality. The m-100's have the same comfortable and strong design, but they fold and have even better sound quality! The build quality Is great on my v-modas! I would deff go with the m-100. You can also buy the boompro mic from v-moda for 30$ that turns them into a headset with mic!

Hmmm, well i dont really need the mic since i already got my lovely AT-2020. Also i found out that apparently none of the danish audiophile shops got them imported yet sadly, so i have to import them myself and that can get a bit more expensive about a quarter more than what the US price is. But i still consider them since i really dig the design and mobillity, but really wish i could try them first to compare with the others.

If you're not going to be using it as a portable pair of headphones, get the m50. The Crossfades excel as a pair of mobile headsets and tend to focus on build and rigidity, slightly sacrificing sound quality.

Both are great for your usage, but the m50 is probably the better choice here. 

Well the mobility was kinda some of the reason i picked the M-100 since i then could use it with my mobile too. I really thought about getting the m50 too, but here where i live its about 200$ the cheapest place i could find and it seems some of the other suggestions i get more bang for the buck than the m50 here where i live.

M50's are alright if you can get them at around 100$. if not they're not that good of a value. they're also quite uncomfortable unless you have small ears. I prefer my Shure SRH440 (with 840 pads) over the M50's, due to better mids and highs, more comfort, less price and a more accurate bass, not slightly overpowering like the M50's might be to some.

Yeah the m50 costs about 200$ here where i live so i guess its not really that good value? Have done a bit of research about the Shure SRH440 and i will take the into consideration since they seems to be cheaper then the m50 for me and maybe better.

Oh i really like that idea about Bass control on the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, hmmm gonna take the into consideration.

So overall it seems i now have two more headphones in consideration instead of the m50 i got Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and Shure SRH44.

Properly gonna think about it for some days and see if i can find some places to try them out if possible.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC | Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256 GB | HDD 1:  WD Black 2 TB | HDD 2: WD Green 1.5 TB | PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W 80+ Gold Certified | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D

Yeah the m50 costs about 200$ here where i live so i guess its not really that good value? Have done a bit of research about the Shure SRH440 and i will take the into consideration since they seems to be cheaper then the m50 for me and maybe better.

Yeah, I prefer my 440's at least. 

So a little update i found a shop and tried both the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and m50 since i needed something to compare it with. I brought allot of my own music on a usb and on Custom One Pro my mp3s sounded better than on on the m50, the few FLAC i have sounded better on the m50. But Im still looking for a place where i can test Shure SRH440 and M-100 will give an update when i either found one or given up finding a place.

I've heard that the M-100 is extremely good for music with a bass preference, plus they look really nice. Since your budget seems to be $200 or more since the M-100 cost a bit maybe look at the SRH840, if you try the 440 in a store it will not sound its best as most people would recommend using 840 pads on it. I was able to find a store near my house that had the srh440m, 840, the m50, as well as some other nice headphones and I do not regret buying the 840. You may also want to look at the dt770 as it seems people really like it as well for music with a bass preference.

My rig: i7 930 oc to 3.4 ghz, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB of ocz ram, antec nine hundred two, seasonic g 650, gigabyte 7970 OC, 120 GB Samsung 840, 1TB Seagate barracuda. Cm storm trigger mx browns and a steelseries sensei raw.

I think in Denmark Beyerdynamic headphones should be cheaper compared to the rest. I would say look at the 80 ohm DT770 as well since I think that can be run off your phone if you set the volume higher. I'm not sure how long the cord is though. Custom one pros would be the best for portability though. 

So a little update i found a shop and tried both the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and m50 since i needed something to compare it with. I brought allot of my own music on a usb and on Custom One Pro my mp3s sounded better than on on the m50, the few FLAC i have sounded better on the m50. But Im still looking for a place where i can test Shure SRH440 and M-100 will give an update when i either found one or given up finding a place.

I can give you a rundown of the SRH440 with 840 pads vs the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

M50: quite accurate sound, with a very strong bass. slightly recessed mids, highs are clear and nice. Soundstage is really narrow, so music, games and movies and such won't be very immersive. they are comfortable in the first weeks you have them, but the pads turn to stones over time. 

440 with 840 pads: very accurate sound, not as bassy as the M50's, but more accurate. mids are a little more present, and a tiny bit smoother, making them easier to listen to, imo. highs are very good, accurate, and sometimes the M50's might sound a little piercing with some sounds, like splash cymbals, but the 440's did not. The 440's have a wider soundstage, so positional audio and also the sense of how far away stuff is is very good compared to the M50's. Comfort, with the 840 pads, is lightyears ahead of the M50's. the fake leather is actually really nice on the 840 pads, and they're very soft, but still retain some firmness to get a good seal. 

Also, for price: I paid 1216 NOK (not that different from the danish krone) for the M50's, and 440's with 840 pads and shipping was 890. Also, the 440's have a removable cable. 

You're starting to sound like someone from head-fi, mayne.

how? 

EDIT: fyi, haven't been on headfi for like two months, but I watch some of the InnerFidelity videos. 

Edited by Lauen

how?

EDIT: fyi, haven't been on headfi for like two months, but I watch some of the InnerFidelity videos.

Was mostly joking because of all those murky descriptive words.

Was mostly joking because of all those murky descriptive words.

oh, lol

well yeah, I read that word description thing they had, and it actually makes good sense, but if someone hasn't heard the words in that context, then yes it might be a little.. strange and not very helpful. 

"Hijacks thread"
Them SRH440 Looks interesting, but lets say i wanted something overall better, what would you guys suggest? 
All i have is the V-Moda LP 1´s but im right now looking into something...Double performance?..nvm just something noticeable better.
ill keep my LP´s For the portability but my stationary needs something better.
Should i just get the M-100´s ? someone told me there are better options for that price range.

"Hijacks thread"

Them SRH440 Looks interesting, but lets say i wanted something overall better, what would you guys suggest? 

All i have is the V-Moda LP 1´s but im right now looking into something...Double performance?..nvm just something noticeable better.

ill keep my LP´s For the portability but my stationary needs something better.

Should i just get the M-100´s ? someone told me there are better options for that price range.

I don't think it works like you think it works.  :P

What do you like/dislike about the LP1's?

I don't think it works like you think it works.  :P

What do you like/dislike about the LP1's?

Well the Bass is good enough. dont want any more then they alredy have.

But some sound feels like its washed out...i guess? 

I notice some Guitar sounds dont sound very enjoyable somewhat forced. and it bothers me. 

Another thing is that they are not really making me think im infront of the people playing it. 

hmm and the sounds are in my head. i guess i seem to enjoy something more "around me" as if im THERE, i remember having some In-ears on a Bluetooth i had before i got myself my V-modas and those were awsome and oddly imersive with techno and such but the cord got damaged and it keep shocking my neck >_> + im no fan of in ears.

So..i guess i want something more Open and immersive ? Equal Bass but maybe something more detailed...alot of details!...sometimes it feels like something is "missing" during the Bassey moments even somewhat flat.

Im totally NOT RAP/dub-stepper/ RnB person. But i do enjoy some oomph with my Rock (got to feel them Drums). and immersiveess in techno music and i do love 8 bit stuff :D

oh and they have to be around ear, not On ear.

They have to be comfy as well, my Lp´s cant be used  during very long Game/Music sessions. like 5+ hours..sometimes even after 3 it tends to feel slightly painful.

I know i dont have a proper amp/dac/whatever but my crap-i-oh external sound-card should be enough for the LP´s

EDIT: heh...that gibberish i write...anyway i do like my LP, the best i´v had aside from those In-Ears i ones had. but i need something better for my PC moments. and LP´s will be Perma Portable.

Edit: guess i should man-up and buy that Mayflower Dac Combo Device....hmmm or a Fiio e10/11. but if there is a noticeable difference ill go with the bigger guy.

le snip

Sounds about like what most people complain about, but it's important to hear how you describe it. I'm gonna go with the popular option and recommend the DT 990.

Sounds about like what most people complain about, but it's important to hear how you describe it. I'm gonna go with the popular option and recommend the DT 990.

and they only cost 20% more! :o well im looking at the 250 ohm DT 990 pro´s right now, are they the one you meant?

Hmm...why does the Fiio E10 cost more then E11? i thought 11 was newer...meh guess ill just get the MayFlower´s Dac combo thing.

and they only cost 20% more! :o

So? :P

well im looking at the 250 ohm DT 990 pro´s right now, are they the one you meant?

80 ohm is also an option if you don't want to get an amp.

Hmm...why does the Fiio E10 cost more then E11? i thought 11 was newer...meh guess ill just get the MayFlower´s Dac combo thing.

The E10 is both a DAC and amp - the E11 is a battery powered amp.

So? :P

80 ohm is also an option if you don't want to get an amp.

The E10 is both a DAC and amp - the E11 is a battery powered amp.

Didn't se any 80 ohm but i guess the Fiio e10 + DT 990 pro 250 ohm is good enough. Now i just need to wait for the next payday. Thanks ones again ShearMe!

So i see someone "Hijacked" me thread  :P

Oh well so i just did some calculations about the M-100 and i got surprised when i found out that i can get them allot cheaper by ordering from the US and get custom ear cups than the UK where i only get stock ones even after taxes etc. it is still 500 DKK (about $100) cheaper for me to order from the US.

So i see someone "Hijacked" me thread :P

Oh well so i just did some calculations about the M-100 and i got surprised when i found out that i can get them allot cheaper by ordering from the US and get custom ear cups than the UK where i only get stock ones even after taxes etc. it is still 500 DKK (about $100) cheaper for me to order from the US.

You can have it back :) I got my answer.

Btw, is there no import Tax when buying outside of Europe? I know some objects require that, and some don't.

Maybe only big products have tax or maybe if it's over XX weight, maybe both or neither

You can have it back :) I got my answer.

Btw, is there no import Tax when buying outside of Europe? I know some objects require that, and some don't.

Maybe only big products have tax or maybe if it's over XX weight, maybe both or neither

Thank you i guess xD

But that's the thing, even after normal tax plus import tax its cheaper to order from the US than ordering from UK for me.