I’m so confused (9900k ram)

So I saw on the intel website that the i9 9900k only supports up to ddr4 2666 ram in dual channel. I want to use 4x 8 GB DDR4 3200 sticks of memory using the ASUS Rog Strix Z390 E Gaming motherboard, will this work? I read somewhere that I can change it in bios, but idk if I can use 4 sticks. Please don’t reply saying that the i9 9900k is a rip-off.

3 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

Please don’t reply saying that the i9 9900k is a rip-off.

what?

as far as the ram you have to overclock it to get to that speed

If you really want an i9 9900K despite it being a niche CPU that only a few have true purpose for it (like if you just want the best gaming CPU get the 9700K it is considerable cheaper and will give you the identical same end result) that's fine by me but if you want 32GB of memory at 3200mhz+ with such power hungry CPU there 2 things you should do:

Get an actual decent motherboard for this CPU, the entire ROG STRIX Z390 line up is unsuitable for the i9 9900K, follow this chart as reference and the video:

CotNpZE.png

What this tell us is that no motherboard on the entire ASUS line up is worth buying from a value proposition, go with the Aorus Elite if you're short on cash.

and secondly, for memory go with 2x16GB memory sticks, as it will be easier to achieve the higher frequencies and tighter timings with less points of failure which leads to less troubleshooting and headaches.

the supported frequency for memory is 2666mhz but that's why there's overclocking...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

But will it work with 4 sticks of ram?\

Why doesn’t the rog strix work with the i9, just curious

sorry this is my first build

13 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

Why doesn’t the rog strix work with the i9, just curious

sorry this is my first build

It utilizes cheap VRMs, which are important for the delivery of power to the components on your motherboard.. 

Gigabyte has the best boards when it comes to Z390.. Their VRMs are a lot higher quality than the ones Asus uses.. For a power hungry CPU like the 9900k, this is super important if you want to get the most out of it.. 

19 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

But will it work with 4 sticks of ram?\

Yes, they will.. But you have a higher chance of achieving the XMP speeds with 2 sticks.. If you get a good motherboard like recommended above, you should be fine either way.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

alright, thanks for helping everyone :D

49 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

So I saw on the intel website that the i9 9900k only supports up to ddr4 2666 ram in dual channel. I want to use 4x 8 GB DDR4 3200 sticks of memory using the ASUS Rog Strix Z390 E Gaming motherboard, will this work? I read somewhere that I can change it in bios, but idk if I can use 4 sticks. Please don’t reply saying that the i9 9900k is a rip-off.

You can use 4 DIMMs.

Image result for rog strix z390e

While the slots aren't colored differently on the board, there are two pairs of RAM slots. The 1st and 3rd slots are paired, and the 2nd and 4th slots are paired. If you only fill slots 1 and 3, those two DIMMs will be run in dual channel mode. If you fill all four slots, both pairs will be run in dual channel mode.

If for example, you put a DIMM in slots 1, 2, and 3, but not in 4, I think it would all be run in single channel mode, but I might be wrong. (One pair filled, one pair half filled)

You don't start getting triple channel, quad channel, etc... until you have 6 or 8 RAM slots. (There might be some exceptions to this, like as far as I know, you can have dual channel with only two RAM slots.) These are usually more common on server and workstation grade hardware.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Take it from me someone who uses a Rog Strix Z390-E, go for a gigabyte Aorus board, they have much better VRMs and the quality is amazing. Don't get me wrong I like my Strix board but I would never use it with the 9900k especially since I'd be overclocking it. I'm fine with it paired with my 8700k but I would do an Aorus Master or Aorus Ultra Z390 if I were to upgrade to a 9900k.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

12 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

No. 

This is the best motherboard under $300. Don't get any Asus board at all for a 9900k..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Any gigabyte board in particular?

under 350

thanks

5 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

under 350

thanks

would LR like to refer you to this motherboard list.

get a gigabyte board from tier A or S (if you want to do extreme OC)

@LukeSavenije any input for this ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

42 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

under 350

thanks

The Gigabyte Aorus Master, which I linked above..

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07HS4PQWK

Okay thank you so much thats exactly what I needed and it has 5 pcie slots ?