OpenMediaVault - Selective Sharing over the Internet?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Nextcloud was what I looked into for a little bit, but it seems like they have a cap on storage space available for use with them. Also, I plan on branching out on my Discord server, and the 50 member limit is literally limiting. 

Not to mention the prices are outrageous lol

I was also wondering if I could just host the content straight from the 6TB external hard drive I have, instead of having it on a company's radar. I don't get the point of "shared folders" if it can't be used for remote access 

nextcloud has no cap, its limited by your hdd.

There is no user limit, you can have thosands of users, its all limited by your hardware. Where are you seing these limits.

Nextcloud is free, just run it on your pi, they sell a hosted solution, but just host it yourself here.

Long preface short, I wanted to see if I could use my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to host content for members on my Discord server. I wasn't sure about how it'd work until I found out about OpenMediaVault. I've had the Pi sitting around and wanted to see if I could use that in place of a dedicated server (I'll only have 40+/- members accessing content on the "hopeful" media host). 

I have the Pi configured, I know basics on how to use OpenMediaVault and how to use the terminal to make updates and change settings and such:

I just want to know if this was all in vain if I can't share access to members on my server, but whom of which are outside of my home network.

Does anyone know of a plugin I could install or a process I could follow to configure my content host server to let Discord members only view shared folders?

I'm extremely new to this and I'm banking on this working; I've tried using Mega.nz but when members share links around, they along with my Mega accounts seem to always get disabled, even though we're not sharing anything NSFW or inappropriate. Trolls ruin good things, so a self-hosted "cloud" server is what I wanted to try out. 

Thanks!

P.s. I haven't began on configuring security measures, so guidance and forum posts that might help me will also be greatly appreciated. Right now, the host server is not live anymore because of this ~

Capture.PNG

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

You probably want to install nextcloud for this. You can probably install it on omv, but id just do basic install of the os and put nextcloud on.

You will need to portforward in the router for this to work well.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You probably want to install nextcloud for this. You can probably install it on omv, but id just do basic install of the os and put nextcloud on.

You will need to portforward in the router for this to work well.

Nextcloud was what I looked into for a little bit, but it seems like they have a cap on storage space available for use with them. Also, I plan on branching out on my Discord server, and the 50 member limit is literally limiting. 

I was also wondering if I could just host the content straight from the 6TB external hard drive I have, instead of having it on a company's radar. I don't get the point of "shared folders" if it can't be used for remote access 

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

3 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

There is no user limit, you can have thosands of users, its all limited by your hardware. Where are you seing these limits.

Nextcloud is free, just run it on your pi, they sell a hosted solution, but just host it yourself here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Wow! I guess I didn't look too far outside of where they host if for you

I'll have to reinstall that plugin and give it another shot, thanks so much for clarifying! 

Cheers mate