400/450€ phone (camera and battery) [Huawei p20 pro vs pixel 3a?]

Hello guys, I'm looking for a new phone! I'd like to spend under 400€ since I really mistreat my phones and they don't last very long for me, but I see that at around 400/450€ you can get a really good phone so probably that's the better price point.

By far the most important thing in a phone for me has to be the camera, especially photos, I care less for videos.

Second thing battery life, at least getting a full day.

For "raw power" and speed I just need it to don't lag while using it normally, I don't play any games on my phone, just regular use of social network, maps, YouTube, Netflix, web browsing.

Once I'd have said that screen is important in a phone, but my phone screen has been broken for few months and I don't really care. If it's oled it's better, but camera and battery are by far more important.

I was considering the Google Pixel 3a at 400 € but I have a big concern with having oy 64 GB of storage. Rn I have 32GB + 64GB SD card and I use like 70 GB total and I deleted my Spotify songs (but I have to download them again). If the Pixel 3a is really worth it I could delete like 25GB of photos and videos (I have them on my pc).

Then I was thinking of the p20 pro but it's more expensive at like 450€.

What do you think? What would you recommend me?

Thank you

Why not get the pixel and use Google Photos to store you photos? They will be compressed to a lower resolution of course, but they will be there and you get unlimited storage. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why not get the pixel and use Google Photos to store you photos? They will be compressed to a lower resolution of course, but they will be there and you get unlimited storage. 

I don't know, I like that I can access my photos without having to wait if I'm somewhere my data is slow (like in my summerhouse)

Just now, leyo96 said:

I don't know, I like that I can access my photos without having to wait if I'm somewhere my data is slow (like in my summerhouse)

You've got a summer house but only want to spend 450 on a phone? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You've got a summer house but only want to spend 450 on a phone? 

I'm 22, the house isn't mine and I don't think it's none of your business.

Either way even if I was god rich I see no reason to spend more than that on a phone when they can't last me more than two years.

Well the Pixel has the better camera but is worse in almost every other metric than the P20. You say your priority is still photos, so get the Pixel. 

@leyo96 i would get the pixel 3a, plus a cheap Usb-c flashdrive, that you can plug into your phone.

But the P20 Pro is also really good, and it has multiple cameras, so more possibilities for interesting photos.

So if you want a point and shoot get pixel 3a, if you want to tinker with the phone and get interesting photos get the p20.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

@leyo96 i would get the pixel 3a, plus a cheap Usb-c flashdrive, that you can plug into your phone.

But the P20 Pro is also really good, and it has multiple cameras, so more possibilities for interesting photos.

So if you want a point and shoot get pixel 3a, if you want to tinker with the phone and get interesting photos get the p20.

P20 pro I can find it used as new for 340€ but it has a major flaw I didn't notice before: no headphone jack!

40 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

P20 pro I can find it used as new for 340€ but it has a major flaw I didn't notice before: no headphone jack!

Oof. That's no good.

Then pixel 3a +usb-c drive seems the best.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.