Cant right click in any documents folder.

hollyh88
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

In Windows, the right-click menu in File Explorer (including desktop) can have items added to them, sort of like extensions for the right-click menu.

If one is buggy, sadly, it can crash File Explorer. I believe this is what is happening.

It is best to uninstall the program at fault.

You can find programs like ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) which allows you to enable/disable items (restart after change), but they are a bit clunky, I found, and you have to be careful what you do, as it can break your experience with the system. But it might help ring a bell at what the program causing issue might be. It is most likely not Microsoft entry else others would have the issue at a wide scale.

Another factor can be the anti-virus which blocks a start menu entry dll entry from a program, and that crashes File Explorer.

So the problem is as the title is. As of today i cant right click in the folder without it first blinking white and then resetting back to the desktop. And i dont know what causes this.

things ive tried : 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

still no luck sadly. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Try that one: hover your mouse pointer on your documents folder and one left click on it, will be highlight itself, then press "menu  key" on othe bottom-right of the keyboard, next to the Ctrl key. it pop "right click" menu.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

In Windows, the right-click menu in File Explorer (including desktop) can have items added to them, sort of like extensions for the right-click menu.

If one is buggy, sadly, it can crash File Explorer. I believe this is what is happening.

You can find programs like ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) which allows you to enable/disable items (restart after change), but they are a bit clunky, I found, and you have to be careful what you do, as it can break your experience with the system. But it might help ring a bell at what the program causing issue might be. It is most likely not Microsoft entry else others would have the issue at a wide scale.

Another factor can be the anti-virus which blocks a start menu entry dll entry from a program, and that crashes File Explorer.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

this did it for me. shellexview. i followed a tiny instruction for it and disabled the purple ones. i can now use right click again in my files. thank you!!!! 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate