would you feel bad if a game you enjoyed (not necesarily liked) is a result of hostile working condition? (such as crunching)

zassou

crunch or not crunch  

63 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• yes, i would feel bad if the developers sacrified their health and normal life just to make this game. and i would ask a refund and / or negative review (if possible).
    • yes, but i wont do anything about it.
    • neutral
    • no, a game is a game, as a customer i shouldnt care about those corporate thing.
    • no, it's their choice, no one forcing them crunch. they got paid.
    • something else

6 hours ago, Bramimond said:

And I'm saying they should be allowed to work that way if they want to. They do not need stopping. They're not kids anymore, they don't need parents telling them that they aren't allowed to drink alcohol, because it's bad for them or that they aren't allowed to smoke, because it's bad for them or that they aren't allowed to overwork themselves, because it's bad for them. They are adults and can make choices about their own life as they please.

That's somewhat ludicrous, because you could apply the same rhetoric back in the Victorian era when labor movements were just getting started.  "They chose to work 12 hours per day in a mine that will give them cancer, let them work themselves to death if they want!"  Labor movements and labor laws exist precisely to prevent exploitation like this, where you're effectively forced to work extreme overtime if you want to take the job in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

crunching? is that like giving a really short deadline to complete something?

Nothing wrong with that at all, if you can't handle your jobs production requirements go someplace else. 

Now if the employees are being abused, harassed or harmed against their will that is another thing.

A crunch comes from a sudden change in deadline, it's not expected by the developers so the higher ups basically say "hey by the way you need this done a lot sooner or you'll be punished," which is pretty abusive if you ask me. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

44 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That's somewhat ludicrous, because you could apply the same rhetoric back in the Victorian era when labor movements were just getting started.  "They chose to work 12 hours per day in a mine that will give them cancer, let them work themselves to death if they want!"  Labor movements and labor laws exist precisely to prevent exploitation like this, where you're effectively forced to work extreme overtime if you want to take the job in the first place.

I could and I would, as long as nobody is forced into these working conditions. If it's a free choice, I don't see the problem with working yourself to death. I'm not too familiar with circumstances in the past, so how about we keep this topic in the present? Sitting in a chair staring at a screen won't give you cancer. (Not sure how working in a mine could, either, to be honest. Working in a mine destroys your lungs through fine dust.)

If nobody was willing to work under these conditions, you wouldn't need to outlaw the practice. Hence you're trying to force your will upon other people, which I cannot approve of. There's another saying that goes like this: the path to hell is paved with good intentions. Don't try to claim the moral high ground if you're the one trying to force people to do what you want.

6 hours ago, Bramimond said:

Everyone? You just have to cut back on your expenses. Living from paycheck to paycheck is for slaves. Like the saying goes, just stop buying shit you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like.

well definitely not pay check to pay check... thats doable for most people with career's. but a full year to support a full family... thats in the single digit percentages

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

So long as their efforts were recognised, It's up to the workers.

If (as has been reported) they are working long hours for no extra reward, then the workers should leave.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

1 hour ago, Bramimond said:

I could and I would, as long as nobody is forced into these working conditions. If it's a free choice, I don't see the problem with working yourself to death. I'm not too familiar with circumstances in the past, so how about we keep this topic in the present? Sitting in a chair staring at a screen won't give you cancer. (Not sure how working in a mine could, either, to be honest. Working in a mine destroys your lungs through fine dust.)

If nobody was willing to work under these conditions, you wouldn't need to outlaw the practice. Hence you're trying to force your will upon other people, which I cannot approve of. There's another saying that goes like this: the path to hell is paved with good intentions. Don't try to claim the moral high ground if you're the one trying to force people to do what you want.

That's very weird logic, I'm sorry to say.  Labor laws and regulations by their nature are "forcing" companies to behave in a certain way, and there's no doubt that many of those rules are wise.  Are you arguing that there should be no labor laws whatsoever, no matter how much they improve the quality of life for workers?

This is exploitation and abuse.  That isn't up for dispute.  And just because you submit to that exploitation doesn't make it acceptable.  We have to strike a fine line between allowing overtime and preventing abuse, but we should do something -- even if it's just to shame companies for treating their employees like disposable robots.  What disappoints me is that you're obsessed with doing nothing, with apathy, with conformity.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

and there's no doubt that many of those rules are wise.  Are you arguing that there should be no labor laws whatsoever, no matter how much they improve the quality of life for workers?

This is exploitation and abuse.  That isn't up for dispute.  [...]

What disappoints me is that you're obsessed with doing nothing, with apathy, with conformity.

I have my doubts. Pretending any given way is how it should be and refusing to entertain different opinions seems bigoted to me. I'm obsessed with freedom, not with apathy. Laws restrict freedom, which I do not like very much, when it is avoidable.

3 hours ago, warmmilk said:

well definitely not pay check to pay check... thats doable for most people with career's. but a full year to support a full family... thats in the single digit percentages

If you do the math on what you need as bare necessities to make do for a year it won't seem as impossible anymore. The way I calculated this it's under $50.000 for a family, which should be easily doable if you put your mind to it. Just save up for a couple of years if you have to. Don't buy any alcohol, cigarettes, movies, video games, subscriptions (netflix or whatever),... basically only spend money on what you need to survive (and invest in yourself) until you have saved enough to sustain exactly that kind of lifestyle for a full year.

5 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

A sudden change in dead line is hardly abusive. Things happen all the time that could make a dead line change and a confidant employee should be flexible and able to cope with that.

A sudden change in deadline also is rarely the cause of crunch time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Bramimond said:

I could and I would, as long as nobody is forced into these working conditions. If it's a free choice, I don't see the problem with working yourself to death. I'm not too familiar with circumstances in the past, so how about we keep this topic in the present?

The thing is, you seem to be pretty unfamiliar with the present as well.

20 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

I have my doubts. Pretending any given way is how it should be and refusing to entertain different opinions seems bigoted to me. I'm obsessed with freedom, not with apathy. Laws restrict freedom, which I do not like very much, when it is avoidable.

If you do the math on what you need as bare necessities to make do for a year it won't seem as impossible anymore. The way I calculated this it's under $50.000 for a family, which should be easily doable if you put your mind to it. Just save up for a couple of years if you have to. Don't buy any alcohol, cigarettes, movies, video games, subscriptions (netflix or whatever),... basically only spend money on what you need to survive (and invest in yourself) until you have saved enough to sustain exactly that kind of lifestyle for a full year.

I'm not saying its not possible, I'm just saying that your assumption that this is standard operating procedure for most people is way off

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Yes, I would feel bad. Excessive work (like the 100+ hour work weeks at Epic) is abuse. It's forcing people to put their health at risk so you could meet a bottom line. Seriously, the effects it has on the human body are horrible - I've met people who have spinal injuries from working crunch, and that's not even the worst that can happen (the worst that can happen is death; are your games really worth someone dying over?).

Also, more often than not, they're not paid for the excessive overtime.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:41 PM, wasab said:

Tell that to the Japanese. Their society has a workaholics culture. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/01/japan-has-some-of-the-longest-working-hours-in-the-world-its-trying-to-change.html

I wonder how many of their kids actually get to see their parents on a daily basis. 

That doesn't mean excessive work is or should be normal. Also, the article says that Japan's trying to change its work week, so your point is moot.

Pretty sure that's how the culture of the working world works

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

17 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The thing is, you seem to be pretty unfamiliar with the present as well.

I'm living in it, meaning I can at least speak from experience.

17 hours ago, warmmilk said:

I'm not saying its not possible, I'm just saying that your assumption that this is standard operating procedure for most people is way off

My assumption is that it's not standard, hence I recommend doing it. All I'm saying is that if you live as a slave to your wage it's your own fault. It's possible to live differently.

glad to see there are still some compassionate people, unlike some heartless husks.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I would feel bad if a game I wanted to enjoy turned out to be crap. 

Read into that how you will :)

On 5/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, zassou said:

glad to see there are still some compassionate people, unlike some heartless husks.

Excessive empathy is an unnecessary evil.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Excessive empathy is an unnecessary evil.

Wrong.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

Im very disappointed by alot of these answers, in my working time. Ive haf hostile working enviroments that affected me mentally and really took a toll on my well being. And Ive never worked anywhere near those hours.

Developers dont "sign up" for these situations its publishers like EA who really push these situations onto people. Its a aweful truth about are society.

As for feeling bad ? No I would just develop a deep respect for the amount of work they put into the game. I see games as art... Well most of the time.

But my views maybe due to being older annd experiance.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I steer away from big games that I know are produced by way of massive pressure from the company execs who are just angling for good boy points from their shareholders. Shitty practices at companies like Activision/Blizzard, Bioware, Rockstar, Take 2, Epic (not to mention my personal dislike of Tim Sweeney, Bobby Kotick and Randy Pitchford in particular) mean I won't be buying any of their games any time soon.

That said, there is a point where that ends, because I don't have the time nor the inclination to do a background check on everyone involved before I purchase a game, just so I feel like I'm allowed to enjoy it. It's a myth that it's possible to somehow live a cruelty-free life. I eat meat, drive gasoline and buy consumer electronics. But whenever I do find out about shitty business practices that I don't like, I will gladly opt out.

And I am absolutely, completely sure that somewhere out there, Randy Pitchford is going to feel so very sad about that one less copy of Borderlands that will be sold.

(that last part was sarcasm, I know that usually doesn't carry well through a text-based medium)