Most imporant things a audio engineer should know

JHurley7nrx

Hello,

Hope I have posted in the right forum,

I would like to become a audio engineer in the future and was woundering what the top things a audio engineer should know. 

Edited by JHurley7nrx
Some how I missed my spelling mistake of hello, sorry guys

19 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Hell.

Hope I have posted in the right forum,

I would like to become a audio engineer in the future and was woundering what the top things a audio engineer should know. 

You have to be more specific, what field of audio engineering ?

3.5 jacks aren’t that big a deal and super hyped.

71BdYsoCc6L._SL1500_.jpg

listen to the i nternet for good tu nes

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

depends on what you do know

if you have no idea what they do but you want to be one then that seems sort of silly, you should do your own research

but, If you already know the basic things that they do, and you want to learn how to do that and basic knowledge, thats when you take courses at a university or traineeship

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

10 hours ago, Unimportant said:

You have to be more specific, what field of audio engineering ?

What do you mean by that?

9 hours ago, floofer said:

Nah 3.55mm jacks are beast I aint using a dongle??

audio engineer ?  lets put engineer behind a job title it sounds better.

9 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

71BdYsoCc6L._SL1500_.jpg

listen to the i nternet for good tu nes

???

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

?????

27 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Nah 3.55mm jacks are beast I aint using a dongle??

It’s just an interface dude. Like USB-C. 

look up a sound engineers job description or something.

or you know wikipedia:

An audio engineer (also known as a sound engineer or recording engineer)[1] helps to produce a recording or a live performance, balancing and adjusting sound sources using equalization and audio effects, mixing, reproduction, and reinforcement of sound. Audio engineers work on the "...technical aspect of recording—the placing of microphones, pre-amp knobs, the setting of levels. The physical recording of any project is done by an engineer ... the nuts and bolts."[2] It's a creative hobby and profession where musical instruments and technology are used to produce sound for film, radio, television, music, and video games.[3] Audio engineers also set up, sound check and do live sound mixing using a mixing console and a sound reinforcement system for music concerts, theatre, sports games and corporate events.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

18 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Just learn from YouTube! 

Spectre Media Group is where I would start. 

Ah cool cheers, I did look on the internet and I didnt really find anything useful

17 minutes ago, LukaH said:

look up a sound engineers job description or something.

or you know wikipedia:

An audio engineer (also known as a sound engineer or recording engineer)[1] helps to produce a recording or a live performance, balancing and adjusting sound sources using equalization and audio effects, mixing, reproduction, and reinforcement of sound. Audio engineers work on the "...technical aspect of recording—the placing of microphones, pre-amp knobs, the setting of levels. The physical recording of any project is done by an engineer ... the nuts and bolts."[2] It's a creative hobby and profession where musical instruments and technology are used to produce sound for film, radio, television, music, and video games.[3] Audio engineers also set up, sound check and do live sound mixing using a mixing console and a sound reinforcement system for music concerts, theatre, sports games and corporate events.

I did but nothing really usefull came up

39 minutes ago, floofer said:

It’s just an interface dude. Like USB-C. 

Yeah I know but type C audio devices are bad and overpriced 

11 hours ago, floofer said:

This

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Generally just have a good knowledge of audio production, try to mix at home, teaching yourself is a very good way of learning audio engineering, ive done a few internships with/at audio studios and it can be daunting seeing all the equipment, but generally get involved with the field by learning plugins and equipment etc. also know about types of audio engineering (mastering, live sound etc.) also alot of my friends who are audio engineers self taught very often, so try making small tracks etc, just know about audio in general, if youve got any questions about audio pop me a message.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Dude, we have been calling ourselves that since the the dawn of the amplifier.

The most important thing you need is experience, lots of it. No amount of theory will even come close to actually doing it. If you can find someone who does it and tag along that will help a lot.

also courses and education will not really help you get job, it might help you with doing the job, but in the end most jobs are by recommendation in the industry.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Maths what why

if you want to do anything with optimizing speakers or planning the acoustics of a room its all math, its all knowing the wavelengths and how they reflect of surfaces.

My wife is a hearing aid acoustic and more than half of her education was learning about the math behind how sounds work and reflect within the ear canal 

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

if you want to do anything with optimizing speakers or planning the acoustics of a room its all math, its all knowing the wavelengths and how they reflect of surfaces.

My wife is a hearing aid acoustic and more than half of her education was learning about the math behind how sounds work and reflect within the ear canal 

Yeah, audio engineering and math are heavily tied together. most of my buds who do audio engineering have very good grades in maths.

22 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

What do you mean by that?

There's lots of different types of audio engineering, such as mastering or live sound etc.

21 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Generally just have a good knowledge of audio production, try to mix at home, teaching yourself is a very good way of learning audio engineering, ive done a few internships with/at audio studios and it can be daunting seeing all the equipment, but generally get involved with the field by learning plugins and equipment etc. also know about types of audio engineering (mastering, live sound etc.) also alot of my friends who are audio engineers self taught very often, so try making small tracks etc, just know about audio in general, if youve got any questions about audio pop me a message.

Ah cool cheers this was the sort of info I was looking for 

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah, audio engineering and math are heavily tied together. most of my buds who do audio engineering have very good grades in maths.

Yikes my maths is horrible, thankfully someone invented the calculator?