Apple recalls plugs in UK, Hong Kong and Singapore

XR6

Source: BBC News

Apple has recalled plugs in the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore due to a risk of electric shock. 

Fear not, though, you most likely will not be affected by this. Apple have only issued recalls on two types of plugs; the AC wall plug adapter shipped with Macs and some iOS devices between 2003 and 2010, and the Type G adapter included in the World Travel Adapter Kit. Apple USB power adapters are not affected.

Affected plugs are white, with no letters on the inside slot, unlike newer versions which are white with grey on the inside and have a dimple on the side to make them easier to unplug.

Spoiler

A picture from the BBC News article which shows the design of the affected plug.

_106603456_mediaitem106603455.jpg.56b473aae2da7b7ab365ee25a5e88469.jpg

In a statement, the firm said: "In very rare cases, affected Apple three-prong wall plug adapters designed primarily for use in the United Kingdom, Singapore and Hong Kong may break and create a risk of electrical shock if exposed metal parts are touched.

"Customer safety is always Apple's top priority and we have voluntarily decided to exchange affected wall plug adapters with a new adapter, free of charge."

6 minutes ago, XR6 said:

In very rare cases

Very rare ... like the 9 bent iPhone sixes?

So it's safe to assume that hundreds or maybe even thousands of people have been electrocuted already and Apple is worried about yet another class action lawsuit.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

So basically hundreds or maybe even thousands of people have been electrocuted already

The affected UK power plugs are probably still safer than US plugs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

So it's safe to assume that hundreds or maybe even thousands of people have been electrocuted already and Apple is worried about yet another class action lawsuit.

It’s fine it’s 240v. I’ve been electrocuted loads, just tickes.

These are some very old plugs also 2003-2010 is ancient in tech.

Glad they're getting replaced and it's been put out there. From what I recall these plugs, and most UK ones also have a fuse in them, to help prevent shorts, and overvolts. 

mac-uk-plugs.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I might have one of those 

I'll have to double check. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Yeah, that's why I was hesitant to post this article at first, it's ancient tech. Then I realized that it's only been noticed recently..

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Glad they're getting replaced and it's been put out there.

I'm also glad they have noticed the issue and are replacing the plugs, however I have one big question for Apple; why didn't they notice sooner? The earliest of the affected products was released about 9 years ago AFAIK. I just can't see how they would go 9, possibly even up to 16 years without noticing this.

11 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Yeah, that's why I was hesitant to post this article at first until I realized that it's only just been noticed.

I'm also glad they have noticed the issue and are replacing the plugs. However I have one big question for Apple; why didn't they notice sooner? The earliest of the affected products was released about 9 years ago. I just can't see how they would go 9, possibly even up to 16 years without noticing this.

Depends on failure rates, and how many reported it.

Usually over here in Ireland, and the UK; if a plug goes it's either the fuse, or you just get a cheap replacement. Especially since these were mostly in the travel kits; we don't know how many people got those.

Usually when folks travel they get a plug/replacement in an Airport and after travelling when do you get to re-use a small specific plug? 
So considering the statement, that it can get damaged and cause shocks; well that applies to all plugs; and was it accidental damage ( never step on these plugs lego is nothing compared to these ), or have you plugged and unplugged the head from the charging brick so many times it's worn out?
If it's the latter, well that could take years to wear out, and get the type of damage that might shock.

I can tell you right now though, any other tech manufacturer here would tell you to bugger off if you came to them with a plug that old. It's well outside of the 6 years consumer law for defects alone. So the fact there's an free exchange program is actually really good. ( does make me wonder what system some folks are still keeping/using from that long ago also. )

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

I can tell you right now though, any other tech manufacturer here would tell you to bugger off if you came to them with a plug that old. It's well outside of the 6 years consumer law for defects alone. So the fact there's an free exchange program is actually really good. ( does make me wonder what system some folks are still keeping/using from that long ago also. )

Might be outside of all consumer law responsibilities, but it's not outside the class action window for dangerous goods.  Especially if they are only starting too break now.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

At first I thought it was necromancy because I had an exchange of my MacBook charger like 3-4 years ago I think. It's a 2014 model so it's after the 2010 window listed here.

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

Glad they're getting replaced and it's been put out there. From what I recall these plugs, and most UK ones also have a fuse in them, to help prevent shorts, and overvolts. 

mac-uk-plugs.jpg

The fuse in a UK plug is to protect the cord from the plug to the appliance, fuses don't protect against excess voltages either.

USB is USB, a 10 year old USB charger is still as relevant as one designed tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

The fuse in a UK plug is to protect the cord from the plug to the appliance, fuses don't protect against excess voltages either.

USB is USB, a 10 year old USB charger is still as relevant as one designed tomorrow.

These aren't USB chargers though; they're for the ones that plug into power bricks. The articles point out the USB ones have no issues.

33 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Might be outside of all consumer law responsibilities, but it's not outside the class action window for dangerous goods.  Especially if they are only starting too break now.

Possibly, but I've rarely heard of any class actions in Ireland and the UK; especially not for something as disposable as a plug. Then again, you never know how people will react when they see a possibility for a cash cow like Apple. Might get a whole £10 after a class action; or get a free replacement which costs more usually.

Just now, Valentyn said:

These aren't USB chargers though; they're for the ones that plug into power bricks. The articles point out the USB ones have no issues.

Possibly, but I've rarely heard of any class actions in Ireland and the UK; especially not for something as disposable as a plug. Then again, you never know how people will react when they see a possibility for a cash cow like Apple. Might get a whole £10 after a class action; or get a free replacement which costs more usually.

I'm in a class action right now, I don't care about the money (it's likely only going to be $20 if I win), but I do care about large companies taking advantage of customers unfairly.  I am going through with it on principal and for the precedent it sets.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Ahh, my bad. There will still be plenty of older Macbooks in use though, considering how cheap they are.

3 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Ahh, my bad. There will still be plenty of older Macbooks in use though, considering how cheap they are.

Possibly gotta remember prior to 2006 those are IBM PowerPC Macs; now those are some classics. Like I said before, I wonder who's still using those, and haven't already replaced an adapter/plug yet. Even the few first gen X86 Intel macs following 2006-2010.

All well outside of any reasonable repair options, outside of scrounging second hand parts now I'd say.

I really hope there's still a bunch of Apple Powerbooks out there getting use! Those were real tanks. Only issue for modern use I'd say would be browser compatibility.

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Possibly gotta remember prior to 2006 those are IBM PowerPC Macs; now those are some classics. Like I said before, I wonder who's still using those, and haven't already replaced an adapter/plug yet. Even the few first gen X86 Intel macs following 2006-2010.

All well outside of any reasonable repair options, outside of scrounging second hand parts now I'd say.

I really hope there's still a bunch of Apple Powerbooks out there getting use! Those were real tanks. Only issue for modern use I'd say would be browser compatibility.

Got a 2009 Core duo Macbook here needing new battery pack, even they're dirt cheap now. Also got an Indigo PPC iMac but not sure if it still works.

1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Got a 2009 Core duo Macbook here needing new battery pack, even they're dirt cheap now. Also got an Indigo PPC iMac but not sure if it still works.

Fire it up, and check! The IBM Macs were great!

Just now, Valentyn said:

Fire it up, and check! The IBM Macs were great!

It's a pile of shite, 450 MHz processor and may as well have no RAM. HDD is slow as shit, the OS is utter honk and it feels like a cheaply made childs toy. Only good thing about it is it has the only copes of 2 albums I made back in college on it. Looks cool though.

I'd be best off ripping the internals out and replacing them with an LCD and Raspberry pi!

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

It's a pile of shite, 450 MHz processor and may as well have no RAM. HDD is slow as shit, the OS is utter honk and it feels like a cheaply made childs toy. Only good thing about it is it has the only copes of 2 albums I made back in college on it. Looks cool though.

I'd be best off ripping the internals out and replacing them with an LCD and Raspberry pi!

Make sure it works, sells for a good return on the second and "collectors" market.

Just now, Valentyn said:

Make sure it works, sells for a good return on the second and "collectors" market.

No collector would want it, it's got broken bits on it, the speakers are loose, think there's a cover missing and all the screws that hold the shell together are long gone.

28 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

No collector would want it, it's got broken bits on it, the speakers are loose, think there's a cover missing and all the screws that hold the shell together are long gone.

Shame! Yeah just use the shell if you can for some mod then, otherwise recycle.

4 hours ago, floofer said:

It’s fine it’s 240v. I’ve been electrocuted loads, just tickes.

Mains power can definitely kill you. If you've been electrocuted with a 240v source and it just tickled the amperage was most likely very low.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Mains power can definitely kill you. If you've been electrocuted with a 240v source and it just tickled the amperage was most likely very low.

Hell my hand went completely numb for minutes from the wires in the wall. As someone who went to high school for electrotechnician, there is a good reason why we measure how many mA we can take. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

14 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Whole NINE phones? How many iPhones 6 they've sold though? Yeah...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Whole NINE phones?

At least that's what they claimed, despite hundreds of people posting photos of the bends in theirs.