Is there such a thing as free domain and hosting?

WARNING: NOOB QUESTION INBOUND

Reason: Knowledge and learning. I want an interactive website that connects/splits to other websites. (Let me know if you want more info on this).

Just wondering if it's possible to have free domains and free hosting without the need of a 3rd party software/builder? And will I be able to customize it?

What are the limitations? Is it possible to "build" your own domain and do your own hosting? Or is it easier to build an app or a program for it instead?

"Perfection is not the end, it's the beginning." 

[First Build] [About Me]

Well it costs money to have a server host your website, and someone has to pay those costs. Normally if you want a normal website its not free, and the domain registrars want their money too.

So normally, no, but it really doesn't cost much either, like less than 20 a month.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Muffins said:

Is it possible to "build" your own domain and do your own hosting?

Domain, no, unless you set up a business and become an actual domain-registrar. As for hosting, yes, I do it myself.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Mr.Muffins said:

How hard is it to host? Is an extra computer necessary or can you run a server thru a VM?

You can host on almost any system, but having its vm is normally a good idea.

What do you want to host. Pay attention to security aswell.

1 minute ago, Mr.Muffins said:

What is the cheapest/economical way to get a domain?

Look at programs from domain registrars, like 10 bucks a year is normal for domains that aren't good(think simple words)

2 minutes ago, Mr.Muffins said:

@WereCatf

How hard is it to host? Is an extra computer necessary or can you run a server thru a VM?

Yes, you can. You just need a device, virtual or not, to run your services on, and you need upload-bandwidth to serve anyone who wishes to use your services.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Muffins said:

What is the cheapest/economical way to get a domain?

Buying one from a registrar. One of my domains, for example, costs 7€/year, so it's not like it's a huge investment.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, SafyreLostTooManyAccounts said:

Freenom and Glitch. BAM DONE!!

To make sure this is clear: Freenom does not give .com for free, but rather some TLD's like .ga .gq .tk etc. and Glitch turns off the website from time to time

@Electronics Wizardy

I'm going to be working under someone else and I'm trying to gather all the data I can find. The website is going to be very interactive. (Don't have all the info yet).

@WereCatf

Nice! Didn't know you could do that. What OS are you using for the hosting?

@SafyreLostTooManyAccounts

Thanks! Can you link those? Having a hard time looking for them lol.

[First Build] [About Me]

Just now, Mr.Muffins said:

I'm going to be working under someone else and I'm trying to gather all the data I can find. The website is going to be very interactive. (Don't have all the info yet).

One thing you can do is get a free aws or google cloud account, then host it from there. Then you don't have to worry about doing it on your home pc and secuirty of your home network.

1 minute ago, Mr.Muffins said:

Nice! Didn't know you could do that. What OS are you using for the hosting?

Linux.

@SafyreLostTooManyAccounts

Thanks! :D

@Electronics Wizardy

You can host on a cloud? ? Didn't know that was actually possible, that's pretty cool. Can you turn the website on/off when hosting it thru a cloud? Are there pros and cons by going with this method?

@WereCatf

Thanks! I'll be looking for a distro if I manage to go with Linux then.

[First Build] [About Me]

2 hours ago, Mr.Muffins said:

You can host on a cloud? ? Didn't know that was actually possible, that's pretty cool. Can you turn the website on/off when hosting it thru a cloud? Are there pros and cons by going with this method?

Its like a litte linux vm somewhere else. You can run whatever you want on it. Normally its more secure, and you get its own ipv4 address. 

You can have hosting and (sub)domain for free, but mostly with big limits, slow and not for serious work with some functions blocked.

But you can also find hosting for about 5$ per year which is much better than free alternatives.

https://hostinghouse.pl/ - for example. Unfortunately in polish language. 4.2 pln is about 1$. My friend using it for 3 years without any problem.